Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best stuff for getting rid of small scratches

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2001, 12:52 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my DBM MY00 has a few minor scratches in the paintwork (one done by my 2 year old and his toy drill!), nothing too deep, (and not swirl marks).

Whats the best stuff to use to patch these up / remove them? Touch up paint is probably gonna look worse than the scratches, I've tried Tcut - rubbish, so any ideas?

Neil
Old 11 October 2001, 01:02 PM
screemin
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Neil

Try these guys. If you take your car to your local Halfords they will do it there. Had a scratch on my Evo and had it done, you would never know it was ever there.
Old 11 October 2001, 01:09 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

If the WW products can't sort it out and you don't want to paint it (not deep enough) then try one of those colour polishes.

I've got stone chips galor on my car and although the WW stuff brings the paint up a treat, it doesn't flatter the chips and minor scratches. As a last resort to re-painting I have tried a Car Plan/Turtle wax car polish with colour in it.

It feels a lot more grainy/agressive than WW stuff so I put it on a small area of the bumper first. Oh my god! 95%+ of visible chips just dissapeared, BUT the down side is that the wet look gloss finish was reduced as well . The stuff is so rough that I didn't dare try it on the bonnet.

The ideal thing (apart from better paint from Subaru of course) is to get Mark to make a colour matched wax...... Right then where's his number.

F
Old 11 October 2001, 04:17 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Neil
You must try Turtle Wax "Chipstick" (from Halfords) The dark blue works well on DBM. Although it`s not permanent you can re-do it and it`s a much better match than the Subaru touch-in paint which is no where near the right colour!
JohnD
Old 11 October 2001, 10:07 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

try braso but be VERY careful and dont rub too hard, as you will rub the paint off!!! its works like t-cut but is a little harsher. it wont work if it down to primer/metal. worth a try as you my have some in the house anyway.

try a small area not seen first. sorry to sound like teacher/father but as i said its very harsh.

not sure what it like on metallics though.

hope its of some help regards mike
Old 12 October 2001, 12:29 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Try Autoglym Paint Renovator - its a very fine version of cream cleaner for cars and very easy on the paint Really good actually, if the scratch isn't too bad, it should take it out fine, leave the paint unmarked, a bit of polish and you'd never knwo it was there
Old 12 October 2001, 12:36 AM
miggs
Scooby Regular

Wink

I use brasso if that is to harsh use the silver one i cant think of the name but the same as brasso just 4 the silver

hth

Miggs