Blanking out number plates

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2001, 04:54 PM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Here we go to the muppet forum....
Why do people blank out their number plates in photos of their cars? Something to do with people stealing the car?
Toerag
Old 10 October 2001, 04:57 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a security thing.

Steve.
Old 10 October 2001, 05:25 PM
ZAZ
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

It's apparently easy to find out where someone lives if you have a number plate therefore it might be useful to theives.
The other reason is that if someone stole a car and changed it's identity they could just search this site for a a car of the same age, colour, shape, etc. and use it's number plate!

It would be nice to be able to leave plates on but unfortunately there are some people who would take advantage of it for their evil purposes!
Old 10 October 2001, 05:38 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

I know the answer to this one. It's to stop people stealing other peoples cars. I see your silver 1998 Impreza on the board, go and get some identical plates made up, steal another silver Impreza and put your plates on it. hey presto, unless the police actually stop me I'm driving around in a car which hasn't been reported stolen. It happened to a pal of mine, I work on a motoring magazine and we had a Sapphire cosworth reg no ***ROC which was on long term test with us and as such was featured in the magazine on several occasions. One day the police turned up on our doorstep because a car fitting the exact description of ours wearing the same plate had been used in a ram raid in Liverpool. It was only when we took them round the back and showed them our undamaged cossie that they worked out what must have happened. So if anyone has the same car as me........ blank out the number.
ta
Old 10 October 2001, 06:40 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

couldnt these evil doers just see a car on the street, drive, cap park, etc and do the same thing?

Tiggs
Old 10 October 2001, 06:45 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Tiggs:
<B>couldnt these evil doers just see a car on the street, drive, cap park, etc and do the same thing?[/quote]Yep, but why make it easy for them.

There's also the issue of resale. Would you buy a car that was seen in numerous photos spinning donuts and being thrashed around race tracks?

Old 10 October 2001, 06:49 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

You dont think IM may have a look who has been on a track day, and then wants some warranty work!?!?

Trending Topics

Old 10 October 2001, 07:07 PM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've posted a lot of piccies of peoples cars on here and I blank out the plates as a common courtesy, as DRB said, why make it easy for them. But also alot of peeps on here have posted specific info like security, modifications etc. so if they want a particular item they look on here and do a search on the plate.

CRAFT
Old 11 October 2001, 09:51 AM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info guys, however I don't think it'll bother me due to where I live.
Toerag
Old 11 October 2001, 10:26 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

I also blank out plates, both for security and as a courtesy - some peeps might get offended by you taking "naked" pictures!

One side question - how do YOU blank out the plates? I use the "brush" facility under Adobe PhotoDeluxe, but this is very slow, and one slip means that you have to start brushing a whole picture from scratch again. Are there any other tricks (i also have MS Photo Editor)?

mb
Old 11 October 2001, 11:12 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Talking

Boomer,

I use MSPaint to (badly) edit my piccies!! It takes ages, but gives reasonable results. Just pipette a part of the plate and try to blend in the colours.

Surely there's an easier way?!
Old 12 October 2001, 07:17 AM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

You can use the "remove Elements" section of "Repair Photo" in Adobe Photo Shop deluxe.

Matt