Sponsored by:

How long should it take?

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2001, 02:31 PM
fdpxfunix
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help ..... please

I've had my 'scoob' for almost 2 weeks. An MY99 5 door Turbo, 17K miles, one owner from new and very lovingly cared for. All in all I'm happy, but ....

I let it warm up for a couple of minutes beforing driving off. I Keep the revs under 3000 for at least 5 miles.

After this time I would expect it to be ready for action, but it's not. It seems to take about 15-20 miles before the engine feels realy powerfull. Before 15 miles it's hesitant and lumpy. Even driving slowy in each gear feels rough. (My Missus's 97 Feista feels smoother when cold than the Impreza)

Had a long drive last Sunday (240 miles). During this drive the car was excellent, but I just think it takes too long to warm up.

Is this right or have I got a problem?

J.
Old 11 October 2001, 03:22 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

The water in most cars will reach operating temp in a couple of minutes. The oil will usually take 10-15 minutes to reach the optimum temp. The difference in cold running is that your wifes fiesta is a highly tuned performance car, while yours is just a runaround
Old 11 October 2001, 04:12 PM
whip
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mine (UK MY00) has the infamous 'hesitation' problem while the engine's warming up, but doesn't take as long as yours to warm by the sound of it. To be honest until I've done at least 5 miles (usually more) I keep it below 2500rpm so wouldn't notice any hesitancy anyhow. Someone on the IWOC list told me it was due to the ECU using a different fuel map until the main catastrophic converter had warmed, at which point it switches to the normal fuel map and the problem goes away.

The only other time I've had it is after spending a while in slow traffic at low revs, the engine seems to go into 'economy' mode and needs booting 2 or 3 times before the power delivery smooths up.

Perhaps you're treating yours too gently once it's warmed - the more you boot it the better it should get.

Which is nice.

Alternatively you could be looking at dodgy lamda sensors, contaminated MAF sensors etc which have all been known to cause more severe hesitation. Do a search on scoobynet for it, there've been loads of posts on this subject.

Old 11 October 2001, 04:31 PM
fdpxfunix
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.

Maybe I should treat her with a bit more anger! I just don't want to break her ;-)

J.
Old 11 October 2001, 04:58 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

fit a defi oil temp gauge (ask craig at new age) and you will be shocked at how long it takes for oil to reach a decent temp. I dont boot mine until I get to at least 80 degrees.