Sponsored by:

Out on the street

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2002, 09:47 AM
Hicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone here park their car on the street, I live in a terraced house so no garage. Had one act of vandalism to my current car but thats it, at the moment! Would love a scooby but if its gonna be F*****D with I wouldn't be able to sleep at night!

Any experience of this?
Old 22 November 2002, 09:51 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I do.....
Old 22 November 2002, 09:58 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Yep, dont have a Scoob, but so far only "messing" has been kids drawing on it with felt tip and chocolate , and wing mirror knocked.
Old 22 November 2002, 10:06 AM
Hicky
Scooby Regular

Some kind individual put paint stripper on my passenger door! Picked it up from the bodyshop after 2 days, looks perfect(as you'd expect).

Really gets my goat, why can't people leave other peoples property alone?
Old 22 November 2002, 10:13 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Had to feel exceptionally sorry for a bloke up the road from us yesterday.

Walking down the road, someone was attacking the badge on an MG ZR. I asked if he "needed a hand" - it was the owner, touching up the damage someone had made by trying to nick the chequered flag/union flag badge. Stood gassing for about 5 mins, as you do.

Drove past his house yesterday at 8am-ish. His car was on jacks, no wheels. Felt gutted for him - can't imagine waking up to find that...

I wouldn't leave a car like an Impreza on the street. Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear.

Nick.
Old 22 November 2002, 10:19 AM
Hicky
Scooby Regular

The area Im in isn't too bad, kinda quite. I guess out on the street you run the risk, law of averages, etc. Insurance didn't seem to think my postcode was horrific, £860 and Im 26. Seems pretty good, currently paying £600 for my 206 GTi.

Would love a Scooby but I have a growing shadow of doubt in my mind.

Old 22 November 2002, 10:20 AM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Personally I wouldnt do it, my ex gf had her sunroof smashed outside my house years ago (live on a main road), then some tw@t crashed his car into my dads car on the road, we get too many p155 heads walking up and down the road, my car is safely hidden (big drive!), I think personally its too much of a risk, but it depends on the area you live in.....

Trending Topics

Old 22 November 2002, 10:49 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Had a few scratches put on my old shape and have had a smashed rear quarter on the new one. Window was an accident, I really enjoyed catching the kid who through the stone though.
Old 22 November 2002, 10:52 AM
Hicky
Scooby Regular

On my street are 2 bmw's and a Puma. Also seen various Merc, 1 NSX and a white wrx and couple or small gti's around the neighbourhood. Very mixed community, people tend to keep to themselves.

Guess i just need a bit of a push in the right direction, gonna sell my car anyway so thought I'd get the car I've always wanted.

Either that or wait for the 200bhp MINI cooper S!!!

Old 22 November 2002, 02:09 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Someone near my house parks his wagon near me. I'm thinking of putting a note telling him not to as its not safe.
Old 22 November 2002, 03:00 PM
s-man
Scooby Regular

Hey there - thought Id share my experiences. Had my scoob for nearly a year now, its spent all its time parked in the street (has 3 pubs on it and is heavily used by kids etc) and to be honest it hasnt been too bad.

As with most others on here I have picked up a few dings and scrapes...some suspicious, some pretty obviously just clumsy parking etc. Someone tried to nick my bonnet scoop a couple of months ago but I was partly to blame (long story) - thats the worst thing thats happened. At the moment we have a new water main going in right outside the house and as a result I have had to park several streets away for about 3 weeks now - obviously I have been sh***ing my pants but (touch wood) its been ok.

Have to say it has made me glad its a fairly understated scoob i have ...green/low level spoiler...no gold jewellery etc I think I'd be just too paranoid if I had a really noticeable one.

Id say go for it...you know your area and it sounds like it should be ok...depends what sort of person you are to a degree as well though....I started out thinking I would be able to keep the car perfect but that sadly just isn't the case these days - if you ever go to the supermarket or visit a cinema or whatever then you just have to accept the risk and learn to live with it to a certain extent.

All the best....

Steve
Old 22 November 2002, 03:23 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too live in a house with no garage and have to park on the street. Have had the car for nearly 6 months now and so far so good (touching wood(ooer)).

I / we tend to stay up fairly late anyway but when we do go to bed we leave the front room (lounge) curtains open and the lights on.

Has worked so far and for the exta few quid of electricity it has been sooooooo worth it.

Good luck
Old 22 November 2002, 04:43 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I've been parking mine on the street in Central London for 2 years and haven't had any problems so far (touch wood!).

I was offered a secure off road parking space for £35 a week and politely declined...

Old 22 November 2002, 05:00 PM
Hicky
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys starting to feel a lot better, just need to change my GTi into a pile of cash!

blue or green, blue or green, blue or green...

Does anyone put one of those wheel-lock things on? Seen one that looks like a huge metal disk, supposed to be very good.
Old 22 November 2002, 05:08 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Do it m8, no point always wondering !
Had my car 4 years on a Croydon road, touch wood.....
Andyp
Old 22 November 2002, 05:09 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Angry

Mate, the show must go on...

I recently noticed that someone had keyed the rear of my car, which is parked in a driveway - I now park it in as far as possible so that they will have to walk into the drive to cause damage. I have seen how people stare at the car when they walk past - all this and I have been thinking of cosmetically upgrading it - can't let 'em win. Oh, I also found that someone had 'posted' a plastic cup into the bonnet scoop.
Old 22 November 2002, 06:29 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Parked my scoob for 6 months in a street in E London with NP. Before that 3 years with a Corrado G60 & again NP.

Through all my time in London (inc Hackney, Mile End & Brixton) never ever had any probs with vandalism. Though I have had a couple of windows punched out when I left stereos visible but thats my stupididty.

Had one bike nicked 12 years ago, but that's all.
Old 22 November 2002, 09:10 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Angry

I've got a garage, but it's too small! The size of garages with newish houses there days are a joke! I can get it in - just, but to close the up and over door is impossible..... Grrrrr...
Old 23 November 2002, 12:15 AM
Smudge
Scooby Regular

Wink

Have had my scoob for 3 years with no problem (touch wood). Go for a disklok - you can now get them from Costco for £39.99 - good visible deterrent and peace of mind.

Make sure you don't leave anything on show, and park it sensibly and hopefully you'll be OK.

Smudge
Old 23 November 2002, 03:27 AM
Tintin 2
Scooby Newbie

It also helps to get a tilt motion sensor fitted in line to the alarm. That way if they try to nick your wheels, the alarm will go off before it's left the ground. A good alarm is always worth the money as a deterant if nothing else. You can never have enough security. I drive a cav and if i thought it was practical, i'd keep a pit bull in the back. If i owned a scoob id wanna pair of rotty's on the back seat.
Old 23 November 2002, 03:37 AM
Rusty Festa
Scooby Regular

Wink

I park mine on the street but it is out of harms way round the corner