Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1 vs STI 7 Type UK

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2002, 11:57 PM
solwood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi - I am considering purchasing a P1 and was wondering how many had driven both and the verdicts on what is the better car.

Both are good value second hand - the P1 looks better IMHO - bugeyes are ugly - sorry!!! But what is the better car?

Thanks for any assistance

Gary
Old 22 November 2002, 12:23 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Both are excellent in what they "do or don't" but they are two very different animals

depends how many times you use it for and what comfort level you require

1) trackdays
2) Long distances
3) Shopping
4) commuting
5) looks

In my humble opinion the STi7PPP is a more comfortable everyday car and with PPP would better than the P1 4 in out of 5 the five above flame suit on. LOL

Tony

STi7UK Prodrive with PPP and totally Bias LOL
Old 22 November 2002, 12:28 AM
solwood
Scooby Regular

Well it would be our only car.
Never done a track day - a big regret with our previous T2000. Comfort - possibly an issue - the T2000 seats took their toll. Looks - important!!! No gold wheels for me please - could we have a bug eye ????
Long Journeys - rarely - we do <8000 miles a year
Commuting and shopping yep - we do that normal stuff.

PERFORMANCE/HANDLING thats what really matters though.

A bias is fine = when you are honest about it ;-)))

Old 22 November 2002, 04:40 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Solwood,
Perfomance and handling...... a Std P1(already PPP'd as Std) against a Std STi7 with PPP hard to call if the "Clarkson's Stick" were to drive both around the track which would have the lowest time !!!!!!!!!
I'd put some money on the Sti7 but not shed loads but it has bug eyes and gold wheels which you don't see from the steering wheel LOL

Tony

[Edited by T5NYW - 11/22/2002 4:41:50 AM]
Old 22 November 2002, 08:43 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Wink

Go and drive both mate. too many people knock P1's on this board. I'm on my 3rd scoob (P1) and i wouldn't change it for a bug eye. i drove an sti (non ppp) and I didn't like it at all compared to my car.

As for comfort - I'm 6'5" and 19.5 stone - so not you're normal size anyway. I drive it everyday and have to say I find the driving position perfect.

The on road performance between a ppp sti and a p1 will be unnoticeable. If you don't drive like an idiot you cant see a difference between a P1 and a turbo (ie you couldn't outrace a turbo without driving to the P1's limits)so you won't see one between these two.

Both are beasts. Drive them back to back if you can. But don't listen to those who knock the P1. They are an awesome machine tweeked by one of the worlds bests race prep companies and has been called "the ultimate impreza" by at least one performance car mag.

And it's not fugly

Old 22 November 2002, 09:47 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Medders,
i think that magazine actually called it the ultimate old shape impreza but i think now the ultimate would have to be the S202 which is just a different kettle of fish all together
Both the P1 and the UK STi7 are good cars, the P1's are now hitting the 2.5 year old point so warranties are going to be running out soon (but these can be sorted).
Myself, i would go with the STi7 type UK, its a bit more grown up but with the PPP it is quicker than a P1 (even though its heavier the 6 speed box makes up for it ) and the engine is stronger than previous models (P1 included).
Test drive them both though, the STi feels strange due to its differentials (but handles great ), the P1 will just feel raw but both cover ground excedingly quickly

Tony
Old 22 November 2002, 09:57 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Tony - The article I had in mind was in EVO and it was P1 rb5 and jap wrx sti and something else I think.

There was a more recent article as well comparing some top end cars and an older porsche and a P1 were recommended as alternatives (bug eye was in there) P1 was described as better.

(Not wishing to start an argument - just passing the facts)

[Edited by medders - 11/22/2002 9:58:39 AM]

Trending Topics

Old 22 November 2002, 10:14 AM
TheScooby
Scooby Regular

Well mate, if you don't like gold wheels, then go with the P1. If you want it for general ridability and just doing the "errands" etc. then go with the STi7. IMHO the P1 is the looker. But concerning the best Impreza, is everybody forgetting the 22b!!!!

TheScooby
Old 22 November 2002, 10:32 AM
SiWhite
Scooby Regular

Smile

I think that as these two cars are so different you do need to drive both and decide which one suits you better. I have a P1 (which is currently for sale, see "for sale" section) and have driven an STI 7 (although not one with PPP) and decided I preferred my P1 however I can understand why someone else may prefer the STI 7.

Why do I prefer the P1:

Delivery of performance, the P1 to me still feels really really fast even though I have had it for over a year.

Handling 'feel/communicaiton': This I cannot really put in to words but I just feel more in touch with the P1 when I am driving it.

Looks, rarity, desireability, etc. (All just IMHO of course!)

Overall I just think that the P1 is more of a special car than the STI 7.

Cheers

Si
Old 22 November 2002, 10:38 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Thescooby - i would agree with you. i went through the process of writing to Subaru nominating a garage etc to get a 22b, but I wan't "chosen"

None of the articles i refer to had a 22b in so it couldn't have won. I wasn't missing it out.

I've never been lucky enough to drive one - Have you?

Old 22 November 2002, 11:38 AM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

Smile

ive had both, the p1 is quicker in a straight line, looks better, the sti is a better car though, less understeer than the bumpsteer modded p1 on 18's, better brakes than the alcons for road use, try both , see what you like
roll on my ppp or milltek
mark
Old 22 November 2002, 01:43 PM
Steve Holmes
Scooby Regular

I have just ordered my STI 03(No deposit paid yet though), and have taken months to decide what to do as my P1 with SSport downpipe and ITG filter is FANTASTIC, absolute pure fun with racing feel and reward.

I have changed, not for the bug eye, (but this is only a personal esthetic view), but for the MY03 beacuse the car is 2 1/2 yrs old, the depreciation is starting to kick in harder, the brakes could be better, the build quality is not as good and the new model looks great.

I do however feel that I am taking a risk because I have not got confirmation that the PPP is available on the MY03. If it is not then I will not buy it and I will ask for my future deposit back.

P1 is a great car though and I am so please that I have had one....want to buy mine????

Oh yes it has clear lenses and tints.
Old 22 November 2002, 02:41 PM
solwood
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the tips. We are going to look at a P1 this weekend hopefully.

TBH - the MY03 looks like an invitation to rip the scoop off - it sticks forward so much (yes I do live in London with no garage).

The front treatment is much beter and yes the new one is more attractive than the bug-eye and seems better built. We know what the classic is built like we had a MY99 T2000 so that will not be a surprise.

I will report back on our experiences in the P1 and see if I can convince a dealer to demo the STi UK.

cheers - please keep the info coming its useful.
Old 22 November 2002, 04:35 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

better build quality
Build quality on my STi is superb, feels very tight even after 15,000 miles in 4 months.

For a low mileage run-about then I would prolly be looking at a P1 or 22B, but for my job I needed a good motorway basher and the STi7 is excellent at that (for a scoob).

And with a 4 year unlimited mileage warranty for £400ish then it's 4 years of hassle free motoring, not sure you would get that with a P1/22B etc.

And how can you possibly call this ugly ?

Fuglys rock
Old 22 November 2002, 05:18 PM
P1 Enthusiast
Scooby Regular

Just to correct a point P1 with Alcons > Brembo's on Sti7 in 100% of tests.

P1 is lighter so relatively Sti7 needs 350bhp / 350lb to match its pure performance of a P1 with simple ITG filter or even downpipe. P1 residuals i reckon will be better now, i have lost 3k in 18mths on my 2nd hand one.

Bumpsteer + Alcons are musts on a P1 tho, enjoy your hunting
Old 22 November 2002, 06:34 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

P1 is lighter so relatively Sti7 needs 350bhp / 350lb to match its pure performance of a P1
Not true, the STi PPP (302ps/300lb/ft) makes them pretty much even, thats been said by people that have owned both.
Old 22 November 2002, 06:50 PM
Zagangaphile
Scooby Regular

Talking

If you look at the figures on the prodrive website the STI-7 with PPP is slightly faster(by a few 10ths)
Old 22 November 2002, 08:05 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Your forgetting the equasion of 6 speed box v 5 speed box here so power to weight doesnt count.
The JDM STi7 in standard form is quicker to 100mph than a P1, the reason is its gearbox and power band
With the PPP the UK STi is about 1 second faster to 100mph than a P1 believe it or not which may not sound alot but its a few cars lenghts

Tony
Old 22 November 2002, 08:17 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

This is going to sound really funny but here goes ...........

If I was buying now I would have an STI7 PPP BUT if I had a P1 I wouldnt swap it for an STI7 PPP.

Reasons I love the classic shape but realise it getting old and buying a secon hand one would be a nightmare. However if I already owned a P1 and taken the depreciation hit and knew the history I dont see the reason to upgrade to an STi7 to get hit with depreciation again. Part of the reason I am keeping my classic RA until something quicker appears .