ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just got rearended,advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2001, 07:53 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

just had sum1 run into the back of me. Back bumper slightly damaged and my exhaust is pushed back and twisted. Its a mongoose, i still have the standard exhaust.

He wants to pay cash if its not too much rather than go through insurance.

Wheres the best place to get any work done, or should i just leave it to insurance anyway as i think its going to cost £1000 at least. Dont think hes going to pay as much as that.
Old 07 October 2001, 10:50 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I was under the impression that you STILL have to tell your insurance, regardless of whether you claim or not. Besides, there may be more damage than is visible.

Get the insurance to sort it out - you'll get your excess back anyway, plus all repairs are guaranteed. PLUS you may have whiplash or other injuries that don't materialise until later.

Just my 2p - no wonder the other bloke wanted to pay cash - he's got loads to lose!!!

Insurance job!!!

Dan
Old 08 October 2001, 12:43 AM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Go through the insurance as if the damage is only minor to your car his insurance company will give him the option to settle the claim and he gets to keep his no claims and you get your guaranteed repair. I know as I have first hand dealings with this. Ring me if you want to know more.

Darren.

07979 800880.
Old 08 October 2001, 03:15 AM
TURBO7379
Scooby Regular

If he didn't use a condom get a HIV test asap . Seroiusly , make sure you get the cash before you fix the car . If they won't agree to that use the insurance .

Derek
Old 08 October 2001, 08:49 AM
Nigel Bowles
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Sorry to hear about your accident.
FIRSTLY - make sure you have exchanged details, it is an offence not to, for both of you, just incase they third party get funny about it.
Then get two estimates for the repair, rear ends have some expensive, unseen damage. If it bent the exhaust, what has it done to the cats, downpipe, turbo mounts ???
Tell the repairers it is a third party claim and they will send you the quotes.
Then if the third party wants to pay for the quote get the work done.
My advice, from personal experience, get your insurance company involved straight away. I dont believe they care who pays the bill, if it is not them you wont loose any bonus you have.
Hope the scooby is feeling better soon.
Old 08 October 2001, 04:02 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Arrow

Cheers lads. I have had a bodyshop have a look at the damage and they will tell me the quote. Looks like a new back bumper, the panel behind it and a new exhaust.

The exhaust was a mongoose and the back box had a kink in it. Think i will try and get a scoobysport replacement, but for the moment i have put the original exhaust back on.

I have informed my insurance company of the bump, and will get them to deal with everything if the guy gets all funny.
Old 08 October 2001, 06:46 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hi Vaughan,
Sorry to hear about the bump mate, Give me a bell if you need anything
Cheers
Colin
Old 08 October 2001, 07:22 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Vaughan,

I had a similar incident on the M1 a couple of weeks back. I was stopped as was the car behind me, he was hit and pushed into me. Damage similar to yours except for the exhaust. Cost of labour £450 and parts about another £1,000. Will take 4 days to sort out.

I'm driving around in a naff courtesy car for the next few days. Saying that, its amazing what one can get out of a 1300 Accent when you push it in every gear to the rev limiter. My dealer rallies a WRC Accent (which was there when I turned up) and for some reason wouldn't let me use that instead!

Get your insurance company involved now rather than later.

Ken
Old 08 October 2001, 07:48 PM
jimi
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Vaughn

My condolences go out to you mate,i hope that you can get the car sorted for the weekend meet.

Take care

JIM

PS it was nice to have spoken to you i am sorry that i had to cut you short but some one turned up.
Old 08 October 2001, 07:52 PM
g man
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi scoobynutta555 did the other party admit responsibility ? I had a problem like this and instead of putting it through my insurance a friend who owns a bodyshop put me in touch with a co. who deal with no fault claims they repair your car , give you a courtesy car of similar value and you don`t pay any excess, you can still notify your insurance for information purposes..and they were very professional , you can take out a small insurance for about £15 to cover yourself in case the other party trys to back out so there is no come back on you. You could call my friend who runs the bodyshop (Bodytalk) who uses them on 0208 451 1166 and ask for Perry