Sponsored by:

MY03 WRX or MY03 STi - Which to order?

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2002, 06:50 PM
DarkForce
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Ok then, i've had some good news - Subaru Holland have agreed that any MY03 cars ordered now will only have to pay the current (MY02) price. As this was a major factor in deciding to order one to replace the Clio 172 that replaced my MY00 Turbo it looks like i'll be able to take the plunge back into Subaru ownership!

The only problem is that I can't decide which one to order. The cost of the WRX would be approx £15,250 inc VAT, while the STi would stiff me to the tune of about £21,500 inc the VAT. This seems like a very big difference. The simple question is, is it worth it? And if so, why?

Any Demo drives in current model STis for scientific purposes would be gladly accepted!

Regards,

Chris
Old 16 November 2002, 07:03 PM
naturbo2000
Scooby Regular

I was struggling over the same question - but coming from a Sport instead of a 172.

I had a test drive in a STi7 when it first came out
WOW!
It truly is a beast (not driven a P1 to compare, only classic turbos) - once it's moving (struggles at low revs ) it's amazing, very quick, tidy-handling car.

Standard WRX feels slow (it isn't... but it feels it) - slower even than my sport BUT it is a far more refined car than the classics, and the power seems to gather better from low revs - not the on/off you'd come to expect from turbo scoobs.

In the end tho' - I knew I'd lose my licence in the STi. That, the cost (inc insurance!) and the fact that it always seems to want to go faster than I'd want to meant I've put the deposit down for an UK spec import WRX
Old 16 November 2002, 07:07 PM
Brian the Sn@il mk2
Scooby Newbie

Has too be the Sti
You know it makes sence at the end of the day ........
Old 16 November 2002, 07:07 PM
DarkForce
Scooby Regular

Cool

It's funny, because I did a photoshoot for EVO magazine when the MY01 first came out and drove them (MY00 and MY01) back to back. It's amazing how a bit of refinement makes them appear so much slower. I wonder how they would feel next to my 172 though. Hmmmm...

But £6k is rather a large difference, do you not think? How do the residuals compare?

C

[Edited by DarkForce - 11/16/2002 7:16:15 PM]
Old 16 February 2003, 11:53 PM
kimera
Scooby Regular

where u get WRX for that price, looking to import and need to find a dealer in europe, any1 help?
Old 17 February 2003, 08:30 AM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Try Gertjan in Holland:

http://www.subaruvdvelde.nl/

A lot of people on here (including me) have used him. Top bloke to deal with. Speaks very good English.

Although the Euro price has not gone up the pound isn't worth as much against the Euro so the price will be higher than detailed in the first post.

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 17 February 2003, 09:17 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

I chopped in my 1y/o Clio 172 for a MY02 WRX last December....

The last 2 months have been

All the way!!

One ex Clio man now hooked on scooby snacks!

Trending Topics

Old 17 February 2003, 09:46 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Try them both.

The STI 8 is a great car, but I didn't like the suspension's bounciness (harshness was fine, the bouncing got to me), though apparently this should get less when the suspension starts to bed in.

Being honest, I couldn't justify the price difference either, plus I want a wagon - so I'm going for the 5 door wrx.

Also consider the running costs if that bothers you. Pads for the STI, as an example, are around 250 quid apparently. 100 quid for WRX. It is a more expensive, high performance car and as such will probably cost a little more to run, but not a huge amount.

I've struggled with this one and come down on the side of what's best for me: work out your priorities and take it from there.

Cheers, and good luck making the right choice!

Nick.
Old 17 February 2003, 01:57 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

oh, and when working out your price, use around 1.51 for your Euro rate, plus you need to add an alarm (300 quid min, don't scrimp on this bit!), plus 25 quid registration fee, plus locking wheel nuts (20 quid), plus transporting the thing back plus 155 quid road fund license.

The STI has better power through some tricksy engine bits, much better brakes, different interior, excellent 6 speed box, fantastic diffs and "different" suspension that even someone from Prodrive has commented about informally...

Given that a brake upgrade to those standards is around 1600 quid, the 5 grand is about right - any more would be too much, any less and no-one would buy WRXs.

Do try before you buy, and do try to take it on a long drive to find out about the suspension... Some bumps will be fine, but others will set it going.
Old 17 February 2003, 03:02 PM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Juat a quick question - is the STi in limited production? IIRC, the bug eye was limited to 1000 a year or something - is there a similar limited supply with the MY03 STi?

Many thanks,

John
Old 17 February 2003, 03:04 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Ask dealers and I'm sure they'll tell you that they are... But in reality I can't see there being a massive problem with supply these days. 2 week lead time on STI when I asked a couple of weeks back, also on saloons. Wagons, it seems, are slightly longer times but not much...
Old 18 February 2003, 12:41 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Cheers