Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep 'em coming!
Old 01 October 2001, 08:52 AM
darren335
Scooby Newbie

Question

I am currently looking for my next car after three years of happy Impreza ownership, first a Catalunya and now a Terzo.

I was initially looking along the lines of an STi V5, RB5 WR or P1. However, after seeing a UK300 close up I could be tempted by the new shape.

I have read loads of reviews about the new WRX and I'm interested in "real" people's views. Is it really that much slower? I'm particularly those who have parted company with an earlier model so can give an unbiased view.

Any thoughts?
Old 01 October 2001, 09:09 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yes the new WRX is slightly slower than the old version.. but its handling is much better, and with a little bit spent on it, you will have an awesome everyday car...

Prodrive are soon to release a spring kit.. the PPP is available and the 18" wheels improve on the already brilliant handling.

I've had a MY'00 UK turbo, P1 and am now on the new WRX.. the only thing I miss from the P1 is the power, but hey, there is always the STi 7 (import)

Alex
Old 01 October 2001, 09:31 AM
George W Bush
BANNED

Darren,
I changed from a MY99 to a silver WRX about 1 month ago I was sceptical as to whether I would like it but in all honesty I am over the moon with it, it is a much better car in all areas the car feels more rigid and all the irritating rattles etc are gone. The looks are also growing on me day by day (my girlfriend thinks it looks great and she detested my last one as she claimed it looked boy racerish!) The performance is down on the last one but I haven't had the 1000 mile service yet so can't give a real opinion. Although in the real world I doubt you will notice much of a difference.

My advice would be take a long test drive then get into your old one and I think your decision will be made.
Old 01 October 2001, 09:31 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

I bought a MY00 over the MY01 WRX. My concerns were that driving the car back to back the MY00 was much more of an experience. The raw edge and turbo surge were definitely missing from the new car which was slower in a straight line.

The MY01 is more refined and has a better ride over tbe old car. However this was offset by steering that was not (in my opinion) as well weighted. Some owners of the MY01 have commented that the brakes on the new car are better. I did not really notice any significant difference and recall that the old shape has out performed the new in braking tests.

Interior on new is marginally better as are equipment levels with the exception of the horrific stereo (which is just as bad as that found in the old car except it looks hideous).

I didnt dislike the new car I just felt that in some ways its improvements over the old counted against it. I felt you had to drive it faster to get the same buzz as the old since, if anything, the new car took less driver effort to cover ground very quickly than the original.

7 months later I am also thinking what next and am considering the MY01 with prodrive package and certain other cosmetic modifications. I would like to hear MY01 owner views who have run old and new.

I agree with MY01 owners that the base car is a better starting point for modification but I resent the fact that in certain ways the new car has to be modified just to match the old (which makes it a more expensive package).

Looks wise I like the new car in certain colours and the shape has grown slightly on me. I think the new car with the right cosmetic tweaks can look much better than the old.

Old 01 October 2001, 09:32 AM
Andy Hamilton
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Agree 100% with Alex's comments.
I had a 97MY followed by a 99MY, I now have a WRX with PPP and it is fantastic
As Alex says the new WRX is slightly slower but it's not THAT slow! handling is great and build is miles better than the old car. PPP makes a big difference.

Make sure you try a well run in WRX before you make you mind up.

Andy

Andy
Old 01 October 2001, 09:37 AM
darren335
Scooby Newbie

Dr Evil,

What brought about the change from a P1 to the new WRX?

Trending Topics

Old 01 October 2001, 09:44 AM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

The MY01 is not much slower. What's a carlength at 100 mph? (tested on-road by members of the Dutch club)

And please don't compare till the car has some miles on it, after 5-7k miles mine was a different A-mobile.
Old 01 October 2001, 09:47 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Wink

The P1 was a monster on running costs, which is to be expected... but the big kick in the ***, was the HUGE depreciation...

I spent approx £34K on my P1, 6 months and 20K miles later, I got £21K for it, thought is best to get rid before it was worth nothing at all! (OK, mainly due to high mileage). Also was looking to buy a house, get married etc.. and go permie @ work

Alex
Old 01 October 2001, 09:47 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Darren, if you have the money, there is only one impreza on that list that you should be considering, the P1!
Old 01 October 2001, 01:07 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Darren

How about this.....
Old 01 October 2001, 01:33 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have an MY01 5 door (wagon) WRX.

The new car is slightly slower!! It is quite laughable to see the importance attached to (as pointed out above) the equivalent of a car length at 100 mph in this equation.

We are in the realms of those people who can tell a 4% gain in performance on a misty morning!! Get real.

The new model is different and requires a changed style of driving. Visually the wagon is not so big a departure from it's previous version, unlike the saloon and is in my opinion an improvement.

As I was trying to describe yesterday, the turbo kick is now an option if you drive it that way, whereas on my MY00 saloon, you got it like it or not!

The air con is great for cooling and demisting and the CD player, plays CDs.

Handling is better, or perhaps "surer", ask the car in front of me (Craft's "classic" WRX import) and the one behind me (chipped MY98 5 door) at NM6 yesterday.

In summary the new car is maybe "not as 'ard" or "in yer face". You can "trundle" about in it, whereas the previous model wouldn't let you, but it has moved on.

Well cars do, don't they. It's still amazing VFM.
Old 01 October 2001, 01:37 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Scoobynutta555,

I beg to differ.
Old 01 October 2001, 01:44 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Not at all!!!! Drive one, don't read the stats.
Old 01 October 2001, 01:48 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Still well chuffed with my 01 wagon, now that the PPP is fitted it's a whole lot faster than I am.

Did get a 'Corolla' comment yesterday, but that was after his jaw had returned from the floor.
Old 01 October 2001, 03:54 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Darren

I went from a MY00 to a MY01. Best thing I ever did.

TONY
Old 01 October 2001, 04:09 PM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

My local dealer said he had problems shifting them at first (strange looks etc.) but all he has to do is change the backbox to give a sportier exhaust note and maybe the headlights and they fly out of the showroom!
I drove a GX whilst my forester was in for a service and didn't notice much, although I was nice to the car and didn't cane it around (50 miles on the clock)
Toerag
Old 01 October 2001, 04:10 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

I had a MY97 a MY99 then test drove a WRX and was sorely disappointed. The car did not feel fast at all under acceleration. My brother who also had a MY99 had a go too and came to the same conclusion.

Had the car for a day and didn't change my opinion. Didn't make me smile at all.

Tested a P1 shortly afterwards. Grin came back.

Bought P1.

Just my opinion

Medders
Old 01 October 2001, 04:28 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Come on MY01 owners the performance stats say the car in std guise is nearly 4 seconds behind at 0-100mph. In gear times are equally as bad if not worse.

The 150kg weight difference has to tell in a car with the same bhp and torque figures and similar torque curve.

Seat of the pants the MY01 felt slow to me. Subaru obviously felt the same and gave it a lower first gear to keep 0-60mph down as I seem to recall.

MY01 has also been criticised for over assisted steering and tendency to understeer(although it improved over MY00 in body control and ride).
Both Auto Express and Evo rated the old over new overall in head to head tests (the only mags to do such tests as I recall).

Criticisms aside I think I am ready to take the MY01 plunge but would like to hear owners assessments of the MY01 ppp vs the MY00 or MY99.
Old 01 October 2001, 04:51 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by davyboy:
<B>Not at all!!!! Drive one, don't read the stats.[/quote]

Davyboy.

Is this in answer to me or someone else?

cos I have driven a P1 and imho there is no way it is the best money no object road going impreza. (p2000 excluded)
Old 01 October 2001, 04:52 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by davyboy:
<B>Not at all!!!! Drive one, don't read the stats.[/quote]

Davyboy.

cos I have driven a P1 and imho there is no way it is the best money no object road going impreza. (p2000 excluded)
Old 01 October 2001, 05:09 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Adam M:
<B>
Davyboy.

cos I have driven a P1 and imho there is no way it is the best money no object road going impreza. (p2000 excluded)[/quote]

No, dude, in answer to the main question. Q) How disappointing is the new WRX?

A) Not at all!!!! Drive one, don't read the stats.

Old 01 October 2001, 05:10 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

gotcha, cheers for that.

makes sense now!
Old 01 October 2001, 05:27 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Adam M:
<B>Scoobynutta555,

I beg to differ.[/quote]
begging dont make it any different, there is only one choice if u have the money, a P1

Old 01 October 2001, 05:31 PM
DT
Scooby Regular

Done 11k in mine. Best car I've ever owned.

Interior FAR superior place to be than the old, unlike some I have no problems with the radio/CD player - does me fine. Unless you are after top ICE it's fine. aircon brill - standard, as it should be.

Engine - less dramatic than previous but deceptivly fast none the less. Have a full SS system now which is very fruity and noticably faster. Link to be done when ready and 270+ forecast....

Downsides are that its costing me a fortune (or is it this BBS!!!) Never had a car before that I was sooo passionate about and have this insatiable appitite for spending money on.

Go-arn get one. Import it and use the money saved to make it look like Dave & Carolyn T-S's.

Old 01 October 2001, 06:20 PM
Renrag
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Another vote for the P1...why?
1/ Get more thumbs up from kids, babes, carnnosseurs and RS owners than anything else around.
2/ Sounds like a gorilla
3/ Is as raw as you can get without 22B extremes
4/ Totally pisses off ponses in M3's
5/ The money/value/depreciation is not a consideration - thankfully. If you're not in the "watch the pennies" category there is nothing else but a P1 IMHO. If you need to justify the money then the other posts are justified and of value.... possibly

Hope I haven't pissed too many of you off

Bob no T
Old 01 October 2001, 06:34 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Darren

Ive owned all the cars your looking at

STI V, RB5 WR, P1 and now a UK300. My first Scooby was infact a Terzo.

LOOKS

The UK300 gets more than my old P1 did. That can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it.

Looking through Top Marques yesterday, it struck me how old and tired the P1 looks.

INTERIOR

New car is from the 20th century.

HANDLING

You can certainly travel at faster speeds in the WRX than the old shape on rough roads. The chassis is so stiff and doesnt flex and suspension soaks up the rough stuff.
For everyday use the new car is lightyears ahead of the old car.

However, understeer sets in a bit too soon in the wet, and at times it doesnt feel as adjustable as the old car.

PERFORMANCE

I miss the outright power of the P1, even with the PPP. But as others have said on the road there is not huge amounts in it. Ive found that unless you run Optimax in the PPP'd cars, they are not that smooth.

The new car with PPP is however in search of another 50bhp, where the P1 had enough.

VERDICT

If its short Sunday blasts, then buy a cheap P1. If you do 12,000 odd miles a year then there is only one choice the new car.

Jonathan
Old 01 October 2001, 06:37 PM
PeterUK300
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Darren
I have a uk300 and it is superb . It looks great and I don't know about P1's turning heads the UK300 gets some really long looks from all ages and I have had many a good comment . Brakes feel good, Steering feels precise. I have had the WR Sport back box fitted and it sounds agressive without being too loud.
We all know the P1 was/is a great car. But hey times are a moving on and the MY01 has plenty of potential. Look out for the UK STi in January if you can stretch to 30K otherwise you won't go far wrong with a UK300 and only 300 compared to a 1000 P1's.

All the best
Pete

[This message has been edited by PeterUK300 (edited 01 October 2001).]
Old 01 October 2001, 07:06 PM
g man
Scooby Regular

Cool

Trying to sell t99 to get a wrx 5 door in silver or black ...im in luvvvvvv..
Old 01 October 2001, 08:27 PM
Renrag
Scooby Regular

I want another P1 - in fact when all you suckers drop the price enough I'll buy a shed load
Oh, and I do enjoy a load of short blasts down the backroads and plenty of trackdays. ******* of a car to sit still in though - hate motorways

Sorry, me again. I didn't know you couldn't say *******. Damn, did it again

[This message has been edited by Renrag (edited 01 October 2001).]

Quick Reply: How disappointing is the new WRX?