Sponsored by:

What is it with........the SIDC?

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2001, 03:01 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Nice one SIDC Once again totally inadequate notice before an AGM - less than a month. As posted in the track day forum the AGM clashes with the IOW meet which has attracted 22 cars and 50 people, in fact just about all the most socially/event active southeastern scoobyfolk. Last years was also v late notice and turnout was subsequently very low.
By not having an AGM during the last membership year I lost my chance to have any say anyway - 'cause I ain't renewed and I've no plans to until the club does more for it's members than organise the odd trackday.
How about club insurance scheme / driver training / getting discounts for import owners servicing (oops the chairman may have an issue with that - conflict of interests perhaps? I like Pete, but I can't see why the SIDC can't negotiate a discount for it's members with scoobysport/scoobymania/tsl/GGR et all) The club is getting bigger all the time, it should become more willing and able to do more for it's members.
Chuck
Old 26 September 2001, 03:26 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Hmm, I joined the SIDC mainly because of the driver training programme that was offered through Dick Grimes (IIRC) that everybody rated so highly. Annoyingly that got cancelled just before the session I was booked in was to take place. True grip is a good read but not worth £25 to me.

The track day discounts are good but alas I have not managed to arrange one of these. Being a southerner there are no events near me that I can sensibly do in a day.

I can't get discounts from many of the suppliers as I am one of those unclean import owner types...

So I find myself wondering why I should renew my membership...
Old 26 September 2001, 04:03 PM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

A few points / questions

Don't see any mention of IOW Bash in SIDC Forums.

Is it organised through SIDC i.e. By Regional Organiser ? .

Did organisers let SIDC know ?.

I think it's probably just a case of bad timing.

RichB - Which is closer to you

1.Essex Police Driver Training Place
2.Llandow
3.Brands Hatch
4.Silverstone
5.Brackley ( Bill Gwynne Rally School ).

You joined because you wanted to attend 1. but 2 ,3 4 and 5 are closer to you or as close as 1 are they not.

So why not make the effort for one of the others.
Old 26 September 2001, 04:04 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Hi Chuck

Just after the last AGM, we mailed all members and asked if we could move the AGM to October, so that the treasurer could have more time to prepare detailed accounts.

This move was approved uninaminously by everyone that voted and that was most members.

The IOW thing is not an SIDC event. Whilst some people attending may be SIDC members, it is a trip organised outside of the SIDC. We had no choice on weekend dates for the chosen venue. We wanted this venue, as there was the added attraction of doing some social things too. Personally, it would have been easier and probably better attended, if we had chosen a circuit, in conjunction with a track day. Instead we listened to the members that say "its only ever track days". As a club, we cannot take a clash with an unofficial event into consideration, 22 members or not.

With regard to organising things other than track days, there are now masses of social meets, including regular monthly, well attended meets for your region, and in addition your region also has quarterly meets for Sunday lunch/bbq at a "kids friendly" pub. Your region has had a big carting event (see True Grip), with others planned. There is now also a paint ball day planned for your region. There have been SIDC arenas at the main national events (Trax, Billing) for those that prefer show and shine type events and we are planning a major "Billing" type event just for SIDC members for next year.

I am sorry if this wasn't enough for you, but "only organise the odd track day" takes the pi$$ out of regional organisers that work their butts off.

The notice for this agm should have gone out sooner, but printing problems have delayed True Grip. Something beyond our control.

Club Insurance... it can be sorted tomorrow, but it won't be competitive and so won't get used. The only companies that are interested are miles out on price, even after discounts. This is something that we have been trying to sort for three years so far. And we are <B> still </B> trying.

Driver training... we will never be able to repeat the Grimes courses, as he pulled a lot of strings and put a lot of his own time in. No Police force is interested in teaching us anything other to drive at 29mph, skid pans excepted but they run these as commercial courses which we can enrole on just as any member of the public can. Commercial tuition companies are just that. What sort of training are you after and how much would you pay?

Discounts... many dealers now provide this for UK/EU sourced cars. With regard to imports their hands are tied. I cannot speak for Mike T, Graham or GGR, but my own company service imports at 70% of main dealer labour rates. If my company charged the same rates, it could give 10% discount too. But if the fat isn't there, it can't be trimmed off.

I devote at least 20% of every day, dealing with club work. Be it emails or phone calls about membership, people who want information about the cars as prospective purchasers and members or people with dealer gripes that are asking for some club backing. The other committee members do just the same and the Regional Organisers spend many weekends organising things for the members to do.

Its very easy to sit in a soft chair and say everyone else should do more for my £25.

I'm sorry that we have lost your support.
Old 26 September 2001, 04:04 PM
JohnS

Chuck,

I believe the delays with the current issue were down to delays at the printers, something in the region of a month or perhaps even longer !!

With regards to organising more and different types of events - this is why we have been trying to appoint a network of regional organisers, as well as possibly looking for more volunteers for the committee, as the workload in organising events currently is quite high. Things like booking track days etc through the club shop which we put in place recently are helping to reduce the workload though However, we do need help from more members who are prepared to invest some time with the club to help arrange and organise more events.

Discounts for import owners - there are a couple of places in Scotland who will happily supply many parts and labour at discounted prices for SIDC members. Both do mail order to anywhere in the UK.

Driver training - it was very unfortunate that we lost the facilities offered by Dick Grimes/Essex police, and we are investigating a few options across the country to help satisfy this demand. I've arranged a training event in Scotland next month, as a one off, and demand has been high so I'll look at ways at extending this, as well as getting ni touch with other training organisations across the country. Unfortunately many are run as commercial organisations, with indidual driver fees running into hundreds of pounds, which means likely take up would be very limited.

Insurance - we've tried a few times, and are still working with some people to get a good deal for club members, but it does seem to take a long time for the companies involved to do their research and make any decisions. Some companies could have offered good deals, but for UK owners aged over 30 who don't drive modified cars or do track events, and others who could offer competitive deals on highly modified cars but were completely uncompetitive (by a factor of two in cases) for standard cars etc. In most cases, the majority of members could have got a better deal by spending a day on the phone to a number of brokers.

Perhaps we are being too fussy by trying to get a deal that will benefit almost all members, rather than a small majority ?

Variety of events - I'm afraid this again is very regional. Some regions have a wide variety of different events (social, activity based, track events etc) throughout the year, and other areas (some with large numbers of members) seem to be poorly served. It seems we need to find something to encourage members in these areas to be come more actively involved, and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 26 September 2001, 04:09 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

When is the AGM? seem to recall that it's Oct 21st, which would make it the weekend I get back from the USA, thus I won't be going. Where is it being held?

Is it in conjunction with a trackday of some kind?

I am still an SIDC member and have renewed my membership, mainly so I can, if I wish, attend an AGM and air any views I may have (and I think some of you know what they may be!)

Not going to get into a slanging match here, not worth it.

Chuck,
have asked on sidc bbs about discounts and import owners and why does scoobysport not do it, and Pete said that he works to a very tight margin as it is and to give SIDC members a discount would mean that general prices would have to go up (Pete, if this is incorrect please tell ne and I'll remove it)

I joined SIDC cos I thought it would be good to be part of a club. thought that there would be more social things, and they are coming, but I've attended more scooobynet related meets than SIDC ones. I must say that for trackdays, the SIDC is tops, no question, but it does need to do more. The discounts are great but not of much use to us poor old import owners.

The club is great but it really needs to decide what it wants to be and where it wants to go. It says it's a drivers club, thus we expect trackdays, but the social side of things can be good as well, but what benefits would our scoobysnacks meet get from being SIDC endorsed? not a lot I doubt.

Anyone want to be my proxy at the AGM?

Any chance of a video of it, it it being streamed on the web?

Old 26 September 2001, 04:14 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Markus:
<B>
Chuck,
have asked on sidc bbs about discounts and import owners and why does scoobysport not do it, and Pete said that he works to a very tight margin as it is and to give SIDC members a discount would mean that general prices would have to go up (Pete, if this is incorrect please tell ne and I'll remove it)

[/quote]

No, thats exactly the way it is.
Old 26 September 2001, 04:26 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Pete and John, good to see the replies come in fast.

would love to see SIDC insurance, but as you both point out, it ain't gonna be a reality, unless we all drive standard UK spec cars, cos there are way too many varients out there and thats just for the cars.

The social event thing is interesting as well, tis very regional I agree, and I think most meets get started here on scoobynet, rather than on sidc, is this a good thing? dunno, as mentioned previously, if its a pub meet, and no disrespect to sidc, then what difference would it make if it's sidc or scoobynet? I'm known for bashing sidc about not many social events, and I've not got off my **** to be a regional organiser, why? well, the age old excuse of no time. I did sort of get an event sorted, but the aftertaste from it was not pleasant and has put me off sorting out any meets of a decentish size - though I must say that scoobysnacks meet does get quite a big turnout, but that's down to Kim being a star and sorting it out.

don't quite know what I'm trying to say here, but hey, that's normal

** edit due to Pete's reply to my post**
Pete, glad I got it right, was worried that I had not

[This message has been edited by Markus (edited 26 September 2001).]
Old 26 September 2001, 04:29 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Firstly, I've just renewed for another year.

I agree that the club needs to decide the direction of the club - drivers, social, etc. The point made about their new forum is valid - where is this being discussed now!!

The on-line payment for track days is great. It must take a load of work of Stef who organizes these days. Also it allows us members to pay by credit card. handy if you are booking a few dates at the same time

Also, another way to save costs is to only send out new tax disc holders and stickers to people who want them. I will keep my existing holder and stickers as there is nothing wrong with them.

True grip is a good mag but is only as good as the input made by it's readers. I know I've read every copy but have never written an article.

I will be attending the AGM and the karts as well because it's no point shouting your point here if the correct place to say it is the AGM!

Tim
Old 26 September 2001, 04:29 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

I havent been sent a renewal yet

Ive tried to use my discount once, and after they had given me the service bill they said "by the way the discount advertised in true grip should have had a limited date on it". I wasnt impressed

For me its £20 for 2 nice plastic cards, at £25 I may not bother this year.

I agree, scoobynet is the place to be.
I too was attracted by the dick grimes course, and the wanting to be part of a club, I didnt get to go either.

On the other hand, it isnt going to be easy to sort out things like insurance, we are a small club after all. However clubs like the MX5 owners do manage.

I dont think Pete C should be thought of badly for not offering discount, we shouldnt get his 2 roles confused (SIDC and business man).

robski
Old 26 September 2001, 04:36 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by robski:
<B>Ive tried to use my discount once, and after they had given me the service bill they said "by the way the discount advertised in true grip should have had a limited date on it". I wasnt impressed
[/quote]

So you tried getting your car serviced in Essex too? I got a discount once (on a £100 service) but was most put out to not get one on a £430 service! They changed service managers in that period. I now go to a different dealer (Welch Group in Gt. Shelford) and haven't had any problems yet (no discount, either, but their rates seem cheaper anyway).
Old 26 September 2001, 04:43 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

So who owns a Impreza and can't afford the £25 I think that equates to 20 miles of driving mine. What do you expect a BG £350 free with every time you join.
Worth every penny IMHO, so that reminds me better go to the online shop and pay up

Tony
Old 26 September 2001, 04:50 PM
ChrisB

Just some observations – please note I'm not digging at any here! The work put in by the committee and regional organisers behind the scenes is huge.

In this
Old 26 September 2001, 04:56 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Arent the SIDC "commitee" et al doing it "for the love" and not the money?

Its a bit unfair having a go at a voluntary organisation isn't it!!!!

If anyones got that high an opinion why dont they give up some free time and help out themselves??? If someones that keen to get to the AGM couldn't they have phoned/emailed to find out when it is??

I got my SIDC membership refunded when my dealer knocked 10% off my first bill!!! So i actually get paid to get a free mag, stickers and the option to join in on some track day fun and go to the meets!!! And i get regular invites to go to the rally school (sorry Neil - i will make it one day!!)

So im dead pleased so far!!!

Makes me sick when i see people moaning about things like paying £9 for a BBQ forchrisake!!!

Nice one SIDC folks

Dont get miffed by the moaners!!

Jza
Old 26 September 2001, 05:05 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Pete please don't put words into my mouth, I hope no one reading this thinks I am having a dig at you, the comittee or the regional organisers about the amount of time and effort you guys put into organising social and motorsport events. I know you guys are all volunteers and work your ***** off. I have never complained about the social/motorsport side of the SIDC, that, along with the stuff arranged through the scoobynet community, would fill my calender every weekend if I wished.
The only reason the IOW was mentioned was because it clashed, and the only reason it clashed was because the SIDC wouldn't publish a date for the AGM until the last possible minute. Ok your intentions were good, I understand a few of the vocal minority have complained about the trackday/agm format and you wanted to do something different, unfortunately this means ridiculously short notice for the AGM for the second time in a row. Think about this - how many people turned up at the last one?
I am just concered about the focus of the club.
This isn't the place for specific issues though, as you have said all it takes is a member to approach the club or a service provider with an idea.
What I wanted to say is I don't think the club takes enough advantage of it's size and financial position, and I think members should be cajolled into trying to use the clubs influence to leverage better deals form dealers/suppliers. I just don;t want to see pathetic things like £5 food rebates ever raise their ugly heads again LOL
Regards
Chuck
Old 26 September 2001, 05:07 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

While I'm disappointed that I will not be able to make the AGM for the second year running due to clash of events, I still feel that my £25 is money well spent.

The amount of time put in by organisers should be praised, not criticised and I wait in anticipation of all the events that appear to be in the pipeline.

With the other hand, however, I also wholeheartly support Scoobynet, which has continued to be a mine of information and support during its current and previous incarnations. Just like a Time Lord really

Long live both SIDC and Scoobynet (and hopefully in harmony )
Old 26 September 2001, 05:13 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ChrisB:
<B>Moaning that the SIDC does nothing for import owners is not productive in the slightest!
{Already renewed for another year}[/quote]

That's okay for UK owners to say, you try having an import and seeing that all the support is for UK cars!!!!!!!

I will continue my support for the SIDC, our local organiser Neil does a marvellous job.

But for discounts, I have to negotiate my own.

Stuff imports, that's the attitude isn't it!!! Thanks Subaru UK.

Michelle.
Old 26 September 2001, 05:15 PM
KimA
Scooby Regular

HAND UP, I'm the one guilty of organising the IOW meet, and no I'm not a SIDC Regional Organiser.

To be honest, I didn't post on the SIDC bbs as I got more than enough interest from ScoobyNet and, contrary to popular belief , I don't have time to skip between 2 bbs' - anyway, I wouldn't expect SIDC to organise their AGM around me!

BTW - I did have a look, a month or so ago, to make sure that there weren't any events taking place on the weekend I had in mind for the IOW trip.

[This message has been edited by KimA (edited 26 September 2001).]
Old 26 September 2001, 05:19 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by KimA:
<B>HAND UP, I'm the one guilty of organising the IOW meet[/quote]

Guilty plea accepted. I pass sentence of walking-the-plank to be conducted on Saturday 20th October, somewhere in the Solent
Old 26 September 2001, 05:22 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Cool

£25 for 4 mags a year with lovely pics/posters and stories, oh and FREE information from the people involved whenever I need it, oh and all the enthusiasts that have become friends that I've met through the club !!!!
I pay more for hand relief and that's a one off and lasts a minuite or two and usually from someone who can't spell Subaru
Lets put this into perspective, how much did I spend on my last mod .......oh, that's right
Well worth £25 !
Old 26 September 2001, 05:23 PM
ChrisB

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>That's okay for UK owners to say, you try having an import and seeing that all the support is for UK cars!!!!!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Going off topic now, but...

I'm sorry Michelle but anyone who has brought in import in the last few years and expected main dealer support on a plate is living on cloud nine.

If the companies who do work with imports won't or don't offer discounts, moaning gets nobody any where.

ChrisB.
Old 26 September 2001, 05:26 PM
KimA
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DavidLewis:
<B> Guilty plea accepted. I pass sentence of walking-the-plank to be conducted on Saturday 20th October, somewhere in the Solent [/quote]

I'll take my punishment - as long as it's only ankle deep
Old 26 September 2001, 05:27 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Ok, here;s a suggestion for import owners. Ask the SIDC to lobby its members into boycotting dealers which don't offer discounts, the dealer should soon capitulate. On the other hand dealers who do offer a discount should be promoted by the SIDC, so that the business benefits. The problem here, and the dealers know it, is they are in an almost monopolistic position. Imagine having an import in Essex and not being able to take it to scoobysport, what would you do?
As a businessman Pete will hate this idea. But as chairman of the SIDC what is wrong with it?
C
Ps I'm only kidding as I'm pretty sure the club could get into pretty serious trouble for a stunt like this LOL

[This message has been edited by chuckster (edited 26 September 2001).]
Old 26 September 2001, 05:38 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Cool

Chuck,

I can understand how you may feel, even if I don't own or subsribe to the SIDC.

Buy a Ford and then you can get these benifits!!!!

..........for £30 pound a year you get track days, a national day, local group show interest, magazine every 2 months, discounts at ALL Ford dealers, discount on RS insurance scheme (Which is 5% each year of membership, upto a maximum of 20% discount :eek - this also includes TRACK COVER for ALL official Club Track Days, a £10 voucher to spend at the Regalia Stand, Special events by the Owners club (like going to Gaydon not long ago, to see the press launch of the RS Focus)....Oh, and a club BBS!!!

You lot.......the cars and the bbs maybe crap, but I thinks this must be the best run members car club in the world!

Old 26 September 2001, 05:38 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Cool

Double clubbed it!!!

[This message has been edited by Shaun (edited 26 September 2001).]
Old 26 September 2001, 05:39 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Chuck, I think what some are saying is that dealers will ONLY support UK/EU imports. They will not touch STi/WRX models due to restrictions placed by IM. Maybe the club has enough 'KNOWN' faces that could talk to IM/Subaru UK to wake them up a little. Mitsubshi have had the sense to start servicing grey's. At the end of the day they use the same parts.

Dan
Old 26 September 2001, 05:40 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Neil,
Valid point but 1 was free whereas the others were circa £100 + tyres + fuel + accom etc. I wanted to do 1 before I killed myself on either 2,3,4 or 5.

I have travelled from Bournemouth across country for many Subaru related things, Leicester and Canterbury for servicing and Cambridge and Ipswich for a couple of airfield days.
The Donno day on the 5th Nov and the Brands are while I'm on my hols. I don't balme the SIDC for scheduling them for when I'm away it just never seems to 'work out'.

One thing that I did think was a bit 'much' (flame suit on) was when I read about some £5 bacon sarnie vouchers being handed out at an event supported by the SIDC.

It's not that simple for all of us to get to these meets and I do know whats involved in trying to organise things, it's a nightmare for the orgainsers and I often feel sorry for Stef when I read about all the cr@p he gets regarding track days.

Has the SIDC contacted all of its regional representatives lately to find out what they are up to? The person that was listed nearest me I have never heard of, maybe he doesn't have internet access but he should have access to all the addresses of members. Like many others I take a step back when the call for volunteers comes but that is due to work/unimpressed other half too name two problems.

If I was benefiting in some way other than receiving an excellent magazine then I would pay the £25, I would happily pay more. I don't see why just because it's only £25 and only half a tank of fuel that I should just join anyway.

Seriously - Apart from the discounted track days, what does the SIDC offer an import owner in the south west of the country?
Old 26 September 2001, 05:41 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

&gt;&gt; The notice for this agm should have gone out sooner

Wasn't that the idea of asking for email addresses for members, and the SIDC BBS for posting information?

Greg (renewed SIDC membership with no complaints!
Old 26 September 2001, 06:08 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Red face

Lol@shaun

Cman, check your mail mate.

Old 26 September 2001, 06:58 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Shaun,
wouldn't be talking about RSOC would you?

now I've only ever been to the rsoc bbs (cos I had a mondeo st24 before the scooby) but from what I've heard about rsoc it sounds as though it's what SIDC could maybe evolve into, obvioulsy without the silly essex boy racers of course (only kidding, there are a lot of great guys on rsoc!)

Quick Reply: What is it with........the SIDC?