Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who will compare the 4WD's?

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2002, 05:29 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Impreza v 911C4S/Turbo v BMW Alpina 330Xi (280ps) v Evo 7/8 v Quattro (choose version?)

Who will compare the latest in 4WD? And HOW will someone test the latest in 4WD's? Comparing grip/traction/poise/predicability/ajustability/progresion etc!

The Autocar article written several years ago comparing unique layouts wasn't too bad. (the Impreza won overall honors on that one over such luminaries as M3 and 996/2) Available here...

http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~scoobydoo/imprezaweb/reviews/handling.htm

Mark Hales from Fast Lane did a few very good articles on the subject too. (compared 525ix to 525i- the x won)

In most of the articles I have read on this subject of unique chassis comparison, it is said that for public road use (which is quite a bit different than track use) 4WD is more competent and safe. The main question I am left with on the fast yet safe road driving topic is- who is and how is one supposed to compare the best 4WD's? What is a properly handling four-wheel drive car supposed to handle like? The ballyhoo'd 911C4S? A 65%/35% BMW X series? An Impreza? Or a Quattro, with all that extra front-end stablizing weight which so many road-drivers rave about during the most demanding of wet road encounters?

Importantly what qualities should we seek from 4WD cars in order to drive fast and safe on the public road???

Suggestions?