Sponsored by:

Build Quality

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2000, 12:26 AM
PaulL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

As an ex-MGF owner I just thought I'd take a trip down memory lane and visit their BBS - a frequent old haunt of mine (before I got a life and bought a decent car ).

Sigh, nothing changes does it. When I left it 8 months ago people were complaining of tyre wear problems, Head Gasket Failures etc etc. And they're still having the same problems now!!!

Anyway, it got me thinking and comparing.

I've had my Scooby now for 8 months and the following has gone wrong... erm.... er... errrrr.... oh yes, the handbrake needed adjusting! What a disaster
Summary: Typical excellent Japanese build quality

With the MG, the first 8 months included
Recall for wiring loom problem, Oil leak due to missing sump washer, Drivers door re-hung, Windows leaked, Windscreen Wiper motor failed, Stereo packed up, Foglights fell off (yes, fell off!!!) Hardtop warped, Starter Motor failed
Summary: Typical Rover build quality, Quite miss my regular trips to the dealer though

Paul L
(8 months on and STILL grinning!)
Old 17 February 2000, 12:54 AM
Hadi
Scooby Newbie

Angry

How about incorrect rear door fit when new; rattling rear trim and rattling tailgate after 1500 miles; terrible hunting and stuttering when reaching correct engine temperature after 2500 miles; violent clutch judder for first few miles when cold after 10000 miles; car refuses to start and run resulting in tow in to dealer after 29000 miles ( apparently the Mas Airflow Meter or something).
The car is going to be off the road for 5 days to have the last 2 problems fixed.

All this in 11 months from new.

JD Power indeed!!
Old 18 February 2000, 05:07 PM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I own an MY95 with 90,000 miles and nothing rattales nothing breaks and I'm just love the car, had no problems with a mazda mx-3 the only car that gave trouble and a lot is a 205 GTI.
Old 18 February 2000, 06:53 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

I doubt whether a Scooby could ever be as bad as an MGF!

Been there, with a blown head gasket, oil leaks, overheating engine, windscreen wipers broken (twice), front o/s suspension mount, rear suspension mounts (both sides), uneven tyre wear, windscreen blower fan failure, immobiliser not disabling, etc. etc. etc.

Two weeks into the Scooby, and it is a totally different world - however i do find myself looking at the radio, checking whether the now non-existent oil temperature gauge is overheating!

mb
Old 18 February 2000, 09:22 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'm on my second scooby turbo. The first was a MY 95 and was faultless throughout the 3 years I had it.

My current MY 98 has occasional clutch judder when cold, but has been perfect otherwise.

I'm not surprised it won JD Power last year and I'll bet it'll do it again this year.

D.