Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The motor industry

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2001, 12:36 AM
Shif
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was after some friendly advice. I'm just entering my final year at uni and am applying for jobs, preferably in motorsport, but any part of the motoring industry. I thought that scoobynet would be just the place to ask for advice in such a matter.
Old 02 October 2001, 12:39 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Hi Shif

What kind of job are you looking for?

All the best

Simon
Old 02 October 2001, 12:50 AM
Shif
Scooby Newbie

I'm looking for anything. Unfortunatley, I don't have any engineering or mechanical qualifications, but i have spent my formative years fitting engines and restoring several classic cars. I'm studying Economics and would enjoy a job in any related field. Thanks.
Old 02 October 2001, 01:20 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Hi Shif

OK.. well I know this isn't much help.. but some suggestions to send a letter to are :-

Jaguar
Rover
Lotus
Prodrive
Ralliart
Ilmor
TVR
Ford
etc

It is almost certain that one of them will have a position that may interest you.

It's not an easy industry to break into at a high level, but possibly far more doable at junior / trainee level?

It might be best to decide which direction you want to take though in terms the type of job you want.

Good luck

Simon
Old 02 October 2001, 01:49 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Not sure if they still do it (but I think they do), but the best place I know for motor industry and motor racing related addresses is the annual Autosport directory.

Back in the old days, I had to buy my copy. These days, you can get the same information for free from their website. Go to
Old 02 October 2001, 07:44 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

I work in the retail motor trade. I have always wanted to work in motorsport. Beleive me, and Ive been trying for years it's VERY VERY hard to get in without previous experience. (in motorsport at the level you want e.g. F1, WRC)
I think judging by your qualifications you should forget about shop floor type work and try for backroom type areas. Human Resources, Accounts department etc. I believe its more regular hours. No late nights putting the car together.

Like DavidRB said prepare for rejection. Luckily most of the companies I've written to have sent Regret letters. Its much nicer to get something back!
Good Luck!
Old 02 October 2001, 08:04 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Don't become a service manager at a dealership - it sucks.

Why not try International Motors, they import Subaru/Isuzu into the UK. 0121 522 2000

Good luck,

David

Trending Topics

Old 02 October 2001, 08:05 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Apart from dealing with Impreza drivers of course

[This message has been edited by Shark (edited 02 October 2001).]
Old 02 October 2001, 11:53 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

One word of warning - a friend of mine graduated from uni with a ridiculously impressive degree in some type of engineering subject. He got an offer of a job with a leading single seater race car manufacturer which was just what he was after - until he saw how little he was going to get paid! They were working on the basis that "if you work for us for a few years you'll get any job in the motorsport industry that you want" and reckoned they didn't need to pay "normal" graduate salaries. Needless to say my friend decided against a career in motorsport!