Sponsored by:

Where to go skiing over new years?

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2001, 12:19 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

need some refommendations, dont scare that it isnt scoobyrelated, cos no one seems to be moderating, and if it does get moved, so be it, will still have had at least the moderators attention.

Group of friends, about 7 inc me, are going skiing over new year.

most borarding but some skiing. Some absolute novices, some intermediates, and me, courageous, but not entirely with the skill to back it up, doesnt mean I dont want to go off piste big stylee though!

I think we arent looking for full or even half board, but I have no idea where we should try.

I am thinking three valleys but I need something to suit all of the above criteria.

Does anyone have any good recommendations?

any help would be appreciated!
Old 02 October 2001, 12:41 AM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Can definitely recommend the three Valleys - I've been there about six times and always stopped at Val Thorens. It tends to be a bit cheaper than Meribel / Courchevel but the night life isn't quite as good.

I'd have thought a catered Chalet would be ideal for your group. You normally get breakfast, afternoon coffee/cake and a three course evening meal. Wine is also included.

I always travel on the snow train. This means you get nearly eight full days Skiing (as opposed to six flying). The train travels overnight both ways and there is a bar/nightclub carriage

The web site for Val Thorens is
Old 02 October 2001, 12:42 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Hi there..

Try Tahoe.. fantastic place for Xmas/New Year

J.
Old 02 October 2001, 12:55 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Tignes/ Val D'Isere the height almost guarantees snow.

Or try the USA Colorado or I spent a superb new year in Jackson Hole (probably not a good place for beginners)

cheers,

greg
Old 02 October 2001, 01:10 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Cool

Done Vermont, proper good. Fly into Boston, bit of a drive up but well worth it.

Americans know how to do hospitality when skiing

Old 02 October 2001, 01:12 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

What about Austria?

Dan
Old 02 October 2001, 01:16 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Stayed at Val Thorens for last 2 years pre-xmas. Good snow, great variety of runs and ,for u hippy boarders, they've built a board park. They also host a 'boarders week' early in the season with competitions and lots of baggy-clothed folk in evidence. Looking to go skiing over xmas/new year again this year myself, but may go to the USA/Canada this time for a change.
How about a trip to the Snowdome (Is there one in MK now?) for a little warm up?
Chuck

Trending Topics

Old 02 October 2001, 01:19 PM
warrtster
Scooby Regular

Could try this -
Old 02 October 2001, 01:20 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Cool

Chamonix M8.

Have it large with the best skiing in Europe and the coolest drinking parlours.

SJD
Old 02 October 2001, 01:21 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

nice idea chuck. Yes there is. A bit lame if you are an even quarter decent skiier/boarder. Last time I went I git three foot of air of a small crswt and the stewards had a go at me.

Takes about ten seconds to desend and drag lifts take about ten mins to climb. They are steap too, and no good for us boarder types.

But grandad, if you still wanna go, I am up for it!
Old 02 October 2001, 01:34 PM
SeanG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Whistler is a must.....loads of powder in the off piste (but in bounds) back bowls especially via the hike up Spanky's Ladder!!! Every lift has a variety of ways back to the villages (there is always a green run for the beginners from everywhere on the mountain). The pistes are very wide and after a storm they only bash 1 half leaving the other side powdery. There is a pipe and park on both Whistler mountain and Blackcombe mountain. Canadian ski/snowboard school is very good and they all speak the lingo. Snowboarder get taught in real soft boots not crap skiboots. Canadian dollar very cheap vs pound. Loads of good restarauts and bars including a brew pub.

TOP PLACE

Sean
Old 02 October 2001, 01:37 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

all seems nice, but canada/us is a bit far for a weeks holiday.

If someone wants to do a kinda scooby arranged two week american ski trip later in the year I am up for that but for now it has to be europe.

Will extend search to val d'isere and chamonix!

Thanks for replies so far guys!

ps. hlaf pipes and board parks are great for me, but may be wasted on the others, so tey are not a priority. I will be going at least twice this season and the others wont so their needs outweigh mine!
Old 02 October 2001, 01:38 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hiya adam ! defo agree with val thorens and tignes, very high so snowsure at least. tignes has a glacier so if snow was bad you would be o.k. tignes not best place for beginners though. if the snow is good try alpe'D'huez! got something for everyone, good for beginers and great for borders! and if youve got ***** it has the longest black run in europe The Tunnel! the first 50m give you abit of a test at moguls! and i mean moguls! cheers Lee
Old 02 October 2001, 01:45 PM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

Hi there,
After a lot of reading up I'm going to Saas-Fee at Xmas. (never been anywhere before)
I know Val Thorens is snow-sure.
Cham is a bit crap for beginners.
America/canada is supposed to be excellent, but it gets V cold and is too costly for 1 week. But worth it if you can ski/board competently and will get the most out of the trip.
Well that's what is said in all the books/guides I read!
Toerag
Old 02 October 2001, 01:46 PM
InsBro
Scooby Regular

La Plagne is great for mixed ability It would take 2 weeks to ski all the blue runs!!

The night life is not too good.

InsBro
Old 02 October 2001, 02:28 PM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

hi,hi,hi!!!!
Old 02 October 2001, 02:35 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Cool

Can only speak about the places I've been.

Val d'Isere for all round everything - good skiing from beginners to off-piste and good nightlife. Easy access to most skiing areas from the town.

Chamonix - good skiing, reasonable nightlife, but spoiled by the amount of time queueing for buses. Average wait 45mins, longest wait 1hr 15mins. Also has La Valley Blanche - serious off piste for experienced (not to mention fit) people only!!!

St. Anton - Great skiing & nightlife but NOT a place for beginners.
Old 02 October 2001, 02:41 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Talking

Been to Kaprun in Austria which was great, Banff in Canada which was bloody cold and Sunday River in the US, which was pants, great snow but havent got a clue! Going to one of the 3 mountains this year as mates went there and said it was tops!

DazW

PS If youre going to the MK Snowzone go early(9.30) on a Mon/Wed/Fri and you get 3 hrs for £40 which aint bad, and Adam the jumps are open then! ....and the railslides...ouch!
Old 02 October 2001, 02:42 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Lee, thanks for tip.

i skiied alpe d'huez twice this year. I think you will find the longest run is called sarenne. The tunnel is a actually very short and steep. the mogully bit you are talking about was great. Went down it with r19ket (mark aigin), saw a hill on the other side of the bottom of the slope so dropped straight from midway down the slope, absorbed some nasty bumps, got three foot of air, then bombed it all the way across.

enough momentum to get to the top of the hill on the other side, over took several walking "experts" on the way up, and then sat down in triumph at the top. Best skiing moment ever.

So good, I went back and did it again!

[This message has been edited by Adam M (edited 02 October 2001).]
Old 02 October 2001, 04:29 PM
StevieB
Scooby Regular

Agree with SJD..... Chamonix is the way to go! Spent two new years eves out there and it was a fantastic atmosphere. Can be a bit icy though that time of year. We’ve been later in the season the past couple of times and the snow has been much better. Excellent for boards, and my girlfriend learnt to ski in the ‘le Tour’ region, so there is something for everyone.
Old 02 October 2001, 05:10 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Wink

Seems there are a lot of people who enjoyed the queueing for buses in Chamonix. Thoroughly British I know, but not something I enjoy in Ski boots...
Old 02 October 2001, 05:17 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've only been to Verbier Switzerland, and went on a 'funded' Army trip, Skiing excellent but the drive there was a long one!
Old 02 October 2001, 09:27 PM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

Smile

Adam

I have been skiing in the 3 Valleys for the last 10 years. Val T is good for a mixed party as the beginners' skiing is in and around the village. However it way above the treeline. If the weather is bad ie snowing, it is very bleak and very windy. In good weather it is superb.

Meribel is a pleasant enough location with nightlife. There is beginners' skiing in the Altiport area. However the run back to the village is not easy for a beginner.

Courchevel 1850 is the best location to my mind in the 3 Valleys. There is nightlife but it can be a bit pricey. The skiing area is the best of the 3 Valleys. There is extensive beginners' skiing in and around the village. In fact there are several free drag lifts for beginners. Higher up the skiing gets more demanding. The couloirs down from Saulire are the steepest black runs in Europe.

Another advantage of Courchevel is that there is a lot of skiing below the treeline. This is a big bonus in bad weather.

There is also a very good English speaking ski/snowboard school - Supreme Ski School.

Hope that helps. There are plenty of other great areas. But many are not suitable for groups of mixed ability. Tignes/Val d'Isere have grear skiing especially for advanced skiers/boarders. However the runs back to the village are on the whole quite steep. This is a problem with many alpine resorts. The villages are at the bottom of steep sided glacial valleys and the gentler slopes are higher up.
Old 02 October 2001, 09:35 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Talking

Verbier, it has to be.

Steep, steep skiing. Tortin is brilliant with fresh powder, very steep.

Col de Gentianes under is a haute piste, never officially open, but officially recognised as a run - 1200m vertical, steeper than Tortin, absolutely brilliant in fresh powder.

Savoleyres nice in for more gentle moments.

And the parties, the women, the drink, the recreational activity

Mont Fort bar for Chalet girls to dream off, Scotch Bar if it's late and you are still looking

Farm Club if you feel loaded and fancy some posh totty - Fatty Ferguson goes there, but don't let it put you off.

It all makes me think I want to be 10 years younger (again).

Trout