Sponsored by:

Forrester - purchasing advice please

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2002, 02:18 PM
dteagles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Does anyone have any experience of the Subaru Forrester?

I am thinking og getting one as a second car which will mainly be used by myself and the wife for transporting the kids around as well as trips to the tip etc, and maybe the odd long journey for holidays etc.

Any tips/advice on what to look for?

Thanks,
Darren.
Old 11 November 2002, 04:55 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Er... As a second car I'd get a 2.0GLS with the All weather pack (AWP). Plenty around used at dealers now for the £10k mark - some a lot cheaper outside of the network.

The AWP gives you air con, heated seats, full sunroof etc etc and is easier to sell on. Only the turbo comes with alloys and colour co-ordinated bumpers on the older models. The newer non-turbos have two-tone paint, although a neighbour managed ot get a dbm one with black bumpers (his 3rd Forester)
Old 11 November 2002, 05:06 PM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

First of all it's FORESTER not FORRESTER [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]!
Hmm what to look for....
Assuming that you're buying second hand you need ot be aware of the following things:-
A lot of foresters are driven by 'old gentle people' for want of a better description, so there's quite a few autos around, especially S-Turbo's. There's 3 distinct versions of the car, each better than the last in various areas.
Mk1a 1997-99? - old and rare due to subaru not importing many, identifiable by the radio aerial NOT being embedded in the side window and 167bhp for the S-turbo.
Mk1b 1999-2000? - looks very similar but has the radio aerial in the side window. may have other differences.
All Mk1 S-turbos have the 'polished' type alloys as on the forester sport. Bonnet leading edge is straight.
Mk2 2000-2002- lower panels have 'strakes' moulded into them. Track is increased, there are various interior improvements and the bonnet edge comes down in the centre.'Clear' type headlights and fake lights on bootlid. S-turbo has 174bhp and 5 spoke curved alloys.
Mk3 - just out, has legacy style lights and alfa romeo style alloys.

As far as problems, the usual subaru crap clutch, tyre wear on the outside edges and........that's about it. Glass's guide/ your dealer may have more info. I guess some must have been abused by farmers etc. Some owners/dealers like the tacky 'accessories'
You can see my Mk1b and Mk2 in my members profile on I-club.
What else d oyou want to know?
Old 11 November 2002, 06:29 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

DTEAGLES

If you look in the FOR SALE section, I have an ad for Subaru Information - Brochures, RoadTests and Articles.

I have 16 road tests and articles on the Forester and a 1997/8 brochure if you're interested, please post and I'll send you the list

[Edited by Flat 4x4 - 11/11/2002 6:30:25 PM]