Sponsored by:

RAC Rallypack is no more

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2001, 05:11 PM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

After searching on the Net/Q website for details of the spectator rallypack, I have been informed that it is not being made available for this year.The stage mapping, etc is instead going to be included in the programme.

I feel quite sad that another element of this once great event is disappearing

Should make the ones I've got from the last 14 years, collectibles now though

How many others on here have bought the rallypack in years gone by? Anybody know when they started producing them?

Steve
Old 01 October 2001, 05:28 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Steve
Yeah its a sign of the times isnt it. I too have many rallypaks from over the years. Ive still got them from the mid 80,s when they used to do something like 52 stages.God I used to be knackered for a week after that.

Most stage maps are available these days in car mags like Autosport but the detail is not as good as was in the pack of years gone by. Ive also got an old OS map that I use . This has got a lot iof minor roads thst are not shown on the new roadmaps. good for short cuts etc.

They say this year that they will provide extra facilities for spectators. If its anything like last year thats a big joke. If they think a bog and a burger van is worth all the extra money then their wrong.

Trouble is they know we,ll keep going whatever they charge and whatever facilities they provide.

Chip.
Old 01 October 2001, 08:13 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

They did have a lot of crap in them though, I only ever kept the stage plans so I can get an idea of how they change the stages, car-parks etc.

Guess now they are running the same thing every year you may as well just use last years

Chris

<I>Did I ever tell ya'...</I>
Old 01 October 2001, 08:28 PM
555 BOY
Scooby Regular

Talking

Awww,as you say another great feature lost ......forever.
I always looked forward to the noise of the rallypack dropping through the letter box........then a race between me & the dog resulting in either a papier-mache mess on the floor or a '555 Boy' bookworm for the next week or so.

Old 01 October 2001, 08:55 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Cool

So I see the organise's have yet killed another part of the rally, CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW CAN THE RALLY OF GREAT BRITAIN TAKE PART ALL IN WALES??????????????........ iF THIS IS THE CASE WHY CALL IT THE NETWORK Q RALLY OF GREAT BRITAIN?????......... IT SEEMS THEY CAN ONLY THINK OF PROFITS AGAIN AND NOT THE REAL FANS IN GENARAL.
CHEERS
COLIN
Old 01 October 2001, 10:07 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

No Rally Pack ?

Well, that is it.

We had almost decided not to bother going as half the fun is the blat around the countryside to get to the next stage. Cannot see that being much fun this year either.

But no rally pack ?

And I doubt I'll be able to blag an official map pack again this year.

If anybody is super interested (when I tell you the price, you'll have to be), you can order the map pack that the competitors are given. This consists of various scale maps showing all the stages for each day, down to the individual stage miles and road sections etc. including stage start times, time controls, closed roads, car parks, service areas etc. etc. The pack is actually an A3 spiral bound pack of over 40 pages of maps. If you are a real rally nut, you need this and maybe especially so this year where speedy route planning is going to be a must for stage bagging. You can order it from RallyMaps in Belfast (great people) and super quality product. Their phone no is 028 9080 8808 and email is (was) rallymaps@dnet.co.uk. Oh, the cost ? It was £115 last year including courier delivery.

Cheers

Ian
Old 01 October 2001, 11:46 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Well I'm still going, ordered my 'Forest Pass' last week. Will give up on it when I can only manage 2 stages in a day.

Trending Topics

Old 02 October 2001, 12:31 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by JackClark:
<B>Well I'm still going, ordered my 'Forest Pass' last week. Will give up on it when I can only manage 2 stages in a day.[/quote]

I reckon on 3, 2, 1 this year for stages/day(Same one twice Sunday )

The standard pack you get now is better than the 'Rally Pack' ever was, and certainly makes a thump as it hits the floor!

BTW I think they started doing it in 83? any advance on that?

Chris

Old 02 October 2001, 01:17 PM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

Well, it seems there are one or two others with the same sentiments as myself.
Agreed that some of the stuff in the pack wasn't up to much, but the rally pack is (was) a key part of the fun that used to go into planning the spectator assault.

Ian W, I have emailed the company you mentioned, thanks for that.As it's looking increasingly like I may not bother following the event for a while again after this year, I may well just treat myself to the proper set of maps/ road books, just for the hell of it

Cheers
Steve

Old 02 October 2001, 01:28 PM
JAMES BUSHELL
Scooby Regular

Dosen't surprise me at all... ..

The Last RAC/Network Q or whatever i went on was in 1999, and it was deff. going down hill then... can't imagine what it's like now..??

From what i could work out on the web site even Sweet Lamb in Hafren Forr isn;t included this year..?

James
Old 02 October 2001, 04:51 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Scoob99:
<B>So I see the organise's have yet killed another part of the rally, CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW CAN THE RALLY OF GREAT BRITAIN TAKE PART ALL IN WALES??????????????........ iF THIS IS THE CASE WHY CALL IT THE NETWORK Q RALLY OF GREAT BRITAIN?????......... IT SEEMS THEY CAN ONLY THINK OF PROFITS AGAIN AND NOT THE REAL FANS IN GENARAL.
CHEERS
COLIN[/quote]

So why isn't the british Grand Prix called the English Grand Prix then.

Chip.

Old 02 October 2001, 06:08 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
1999 was a shi* year! It got better in 2000 because I believe less people went.

Actually, no, it got worse last year and this year is looking like a no hoper. If you could all tell everyone you know not to bother I'd be gratefull.