Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you a good motorway driver.(test)

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2002, 07:18 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2)Which lane do you spend most time when your driving on the motorway.
a)right lane
b)middle lane
c)left lane

Erm....left hand lane is full of lorries doing 56 mph, so why on EARTH on the M1 would I spend "most" of my time there?? Sorry, thats wrong, the acorrect answer is "the one thats appropriate". All this "YOU MUST SWERVE INTO THE LEFT HAND LANE AT ALL COSTS AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY" stuff is WRONG

and I do 30-40 k a year all over the country.

[Edited by RaZe-=Buzz=- - 11/9/2002 7:19:16 PM]
Old 11 October 2002, 03:27 PM
Ross9
Scooby Newbie

Hehe, thought I'd join the forum seeing as I shall be meeting a few of you at the weekend.

I drive a 7.5tonne truck for a living, so am on the roads a lot to say the least.

2, well the main motorway I use to and from work and thus the one I'm on the most, has no middle lane, and the left lane is full of lorries, so right lane is the answer. Even 70mph has you permanantly in this apart from nipping in to let a rep in a BMW past every now and again if he's being a ****.

However, while working, I spend most of my time in the left lane, cause the truck is hardly a god of acceleration (neither is my car mind you-lol)

To sum up, I'd have to answer A for this one, though am pretty sure this doesnt make me a "tool", lol.

for Q4, B can apply a lot, if you are overtaking something, but not yet at the vehcle you are overtaking, ie an artic for example and are in the outside lane, travelling 20ish mph faster than the artic, and some arrogant guy in, lets say a vectra this time to avoid stereotyping BMW drivers too much, floors it an nips up the inside and in front of you before the 2 of you reach the artic, thus you would just watch him do it, and carry on as before.

All in all, while it may seem easy to just pigeon hole it and say all C's is the correct answer. It's the old chestnut of rules being guidelines and what is needed on the roads is commen sense, driver awareness and similar skills, not the ability to memorise the highway code.

After all, what is wrong with me sitting in the outside lane if Im having a bit of a blat, not holding anyone up, no-one behind me, and hardly anything on the motorway, I see no reason not to sit there all day until someone wants to pass. The main thing required to be a good driver is road sense, nothing else, road sense allows you to abide by the rules etc governing lanes, where the car should be for certain manouveres and circumstances, but also allows flexability when theres no need to strictly adhere to the highway code, or to disregard it when common snese and it being safe to do so make it the more correct thing to do.

basically I define Road Sense as "knowing how to drive" as most people would say, unfortunately, evberyones definition of this is different, Knowing how to drive is usually closely linked to their own driving standards, for example, how many people have replied to this thread or other similar ones, and said they believe themselves to be a sub standard driver?

*and breath*

PS-So, feel free to chuckle at me taking this test far too seriously then, lol.

Ross.

[Edited by Ross9 - 11/10/2002 3:59:41 PM]
Old 09 November 2002, 03:26 PM
bumcrack
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi all

I drive between 1500-2000 miles a week and I'm pi$$ed off with the crappy driving on the motorways in UK. So I've devised a test to find out why most people are so thick.
I would like to say that my driving is decidly average, and I'm not so hot myself, but I know the how to conduct myself on the motorway.I would expect that this being scoobynet the driving standards would be high, seen as most of you are petrol heads.

I've decided to name the lanes left, middle and right lane on a 3 lane motorway. So the lane nearest the hardshoulder is the left lane and the nearest lane to the center dividing barrier is the right hand lane.

If you think your a good motorway driver take "Bumcracks" test and find out!*

1)Which one of these terms is correct?
a)fast lane
b)slow lane
c)overtaking lane

a)right lane
b)middle lane
c)left lane

3)Your in the middle lane of a quite motoway and the car behind you flashes it's lights, do you:-

a) give them the fingers and start braking
b) think whats going on?
c) pull over to the left hand lane

4)A car is undertaking you to the left, do you:-
a) put your toe down and think"I'm not let him undertake me on the inside"
b)watch them and carry on as before
c)let them under take and then pull in to left.

5)You've just overtaken a lorry in the middle lane, which lane do go to once you clear on the lorry.

a) stay in the right lane
b) pull into the middle lane same as the lorry
c) pull into the left lane if clear.

That's it you've finished the test. Find out how you did.

Mainly A's

Your a complete tool who shouldn't have a lisence, you seem to think the high code doesn't apply to you or haven't even read it.

Mainly B's

You've got half an idea, but still not good enough. Thicko's and birds fall into this section(sorry ladies)

Mainly C's

Your a motorway God, all hail you.

As you can tell by the test, it's about not driving constanly in the right lane or the middle lane as most people do and pulling into left lane as soon as possible if you can, not 2 miles up the road. The left lane is not just for trucks or old farts. You should be in it 95% of the time apart from overtaking.
If more people did this you be able to get from a to b much quicker.

* This is a bit of fun and I don't what a you lot to take it to seriously

[Edited by bumcrack - 11/9/2002 3:35:51 PM]
Old 09 November 2002, 04:01 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

all CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC's for me.

driving standards are now lower than a snakes belly.

Old 09 November 2002, 04:34 PM
Who Am I Then?
Scooby Regular

Talking

whats a motorway then?
Old 09 November 2002, 04:40 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

1)Which one of these terms is correct?
a)fast lane
b)slow lane
c)overtaking lane
C - happy with this one.
a)right lane
b)middle lane
c)left lane
That'll be a or b then, cos I'm usually doing the overtaking
3)Your in the middle lane of a quite motoway and the car behind you flashes it's lights, do you:-
a) give them the fingers and start braking
b) think whats going on?
c) pull over to the left hand lane
Im thinking b here, as if I'm in the middle lane I'm overtaking someone
4)A car is undertaking you to the left, do you:-
a) put your toe down and think"I'm not let him undertake me on the inside"
b)watch them and carry on as before
c)let them under take and then pull in to left.
Defo b, he must be on the sliproad.
5)You've just overtaken a lorry in the middle lane, which lane do go to once you clear on the lorry.

a) stay in the right lane
b) pull into the middle lane same as the lorry
c) pull into the left lane if clear.
Defo b, nigh on impossible to do c before b.

Mostly b's then
Old 09 November 2002, 04:41 PM
Active
Scooby Regular

I can`t overtake anything on my moped so I stay in the left hand lane. do I pass?
Bob
Old 09 November 2002, 04:46 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

I thought that mopeds wernt allowed on motorways

Tony
Old 09 November 2002, 05:31 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Talking

thats why he drives on the hardshoulder
Old 09 November 2002, 05:54 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Talking

LOL at this thread. Keep it coming guys.:
Alcazar
Old 09 November 2002, 06:06 PM
Attu
Scooby Regular

Must admit my pet hate is people who dont/wont use the left hand lane, the number of times you see them sitting in the middle lane doing nothing its probably due to the fact that i used to drive a lorry alot that i always use the left lane ...or it could be that in a good driver hmmmm probably the lorry then

Andy
Old 09 November 2002, 06:32 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

driving standards are now lower than a russian submarine..
I know its old but......
Old 09 November 2002, 07:11 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Angry

Does anyone know someone/s who would admit to answering all of the above questions with A's?
Because everyone i know and every person i ask agrees with me, that people who wont pull in to the left lane are complete *********! Im sure its one of the main reasons the roads are so congested. Empty motorway, someone in lane 2 or 3, why why why?????? It really drives me insane and i would like to know who these people are that do it.
Although i did over here some one telling there daughter (must of been learning to drive) the lane on the left is for lorrys,the lane in the middle is for cars travelling 60 to 70mph and the right hand lane is for fast cars/people breaking the speed limit!!
They make me so mad!!!!!!!!
Old 09 November 2002, 07:15 PM
Eldar
Scooby Regular

Lanes are 1, 2 & 3, oficially. Lane 3 is known throughout the world as BMW lane, lane 2 Volvo and lane 1 empty. If there is a 4th lane you can use that in a scoob, otherwise stick to the hard shoulder...

Colin.
Old 09 November 2002, 09:11 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

Two pieces of concrete sat at a bar one turns to the other and says Im hard me, im off the A1 15,000 cars an hour drive over me, the other says huh youre no hard im off the M25 30,000 cars an hour drive over me. Then a red piece of concrete comes into the bar and M25 looks away nervously, A1 says whats up I thought you were hard. M25 says , me no I dont want anything to do with him he's a cyclepath.

Oh my god ive lowered myself now.

Muust remember that smirnoff ice is 5.5% not .55%

Hawkeye (hic)
Old 09 November 2002, 09:35 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm...

Motorway nomenclature ... interesting subject ...

You're correct about there being no such thing as a "fast lane" [Top Gear and other Motoring media-speak types PLEASE TAKE NOTE ... ]

But you're very wrong if you call it the overtaking/passing lane .. As every motorway user MUST surely know, it's the BMW lane DUMMY !!

Dont you just lurve UK motorway driving standards ...

... and BTW, I drive a Subaru/BMW/Merc/PendulousPorka so perleeeze dont expect me to move over ever, even if I'm holding you up when it's safe to move over. Furthermore, I wouldn't be seen dead in the "slow" lane .... DOH! .. ... there's always a first (and ONLY) time M8 .... Inaccurate observation ... don't you believe it Be careful out there .. you know why ..

Happy "Safety Fast" MotorinG
Old 09 November 2002, 09:53 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

whats wrong being in the middle lane if theres noone around?
dont people look in their rear mirror?
if it gets busy - move to the left and let them past... else middle lane is less likey to have things like bits of burst tyres and other rubbish on it.

if its busy - and if i can - ill be on the left lane... else cruise in the middle if its not busy.
dual carraige ways are a different story - left if can, else right.

the worst things i have found on motorways are:
speed changes because of cameras - every one cruising along at 80 ish - camera comes up.. people slow down - close up... brake lights.
lorries overtaking lorries... 1/2 miles of cars in overtaking lane all waiting to go past - and then u get some cars going up the inside of them all ... etc
when its wet an the above happens... people do not give enough room / slow down enough.

I hate busy motorways - roll on a busy A class road...

Old 09 November 2002, 10:06 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

RaZe-Buzz WROTE:

>> "YOU MUST SWERVE INTO THE LEFT HAND LANE AT ALL COSTS AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY" stuff is WRONG <<

Where does it say you "MUST SWERVE"... Most uncool ... A gentle transition is all that's necessary ...

.. and also WROTE: >> and I do 30-40 k a year all over the country <<

Please keep to the roads in future! - None of this "all over the country" malarkey - you'll scare the horses ...

I dunno some drivers ... mutter, mutter ..... nutter

More seriously, on the rare occasions when on an otherwise deserted motorway in the wee small hours I find a "middle lane mimser" half asleep, I admit to doing an exaggerated nearside lane - middle lane - offside lane - middle lane - nearside lane passing exercise (complete with all direction change indication signals) in the hope that the penny may drop for the other party ..... Often works a treat and hey, we both continue in the nearside lane .... all perfectly safe and ... why not? ...

.... and on occasion when such a "mimser" is in the "FAST" lane (urgh! ... ).. provided the road is deserted, I have been known to pass on the nearside ... well to the left... this type of driver invariably STAYS in the right lane even though those on the left - up to four lanes - are all clear of traffic ... DOH!
Old 09 November 2002, 10:13 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Talking

.... the thing that should concern us all is that there are no signs anywhere that conditions and standards on our roads will ever improve .... too many chasing their tails .... we're all doomed ... doomed I tell ya ...

No good voting anyway ... why? because the Government always gets in ... DOH
Old 09 November 2002, 10:15 PM
R.B
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

All c`s for me,Dont those that come down the inside lane just pi55 you right off.
Old 09 November 2002, 10:27 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Smile

Anyone who sits in the middle lane whilst the inside lane is empty deserves all the abuse anyone can level at them. If I undertake someone, there is a very good reason for it. Sometimes they'll pull in once they realise, but mostly they remain ignorant and sit in the middle lane. W4NKERS.

Would like to see considerable fines, and even points introduced for people who blatantly sit in the middle lane. It's the law, and also in the Highway code that you must use the inside lane if not passing other traffic. Unfortunately it turns a motorway into a dual carriageway, so no wonder congestion occurs.

And for anyone who thinks that's harsh, I'd recommend they do the miles that we do and not get frustrated at the muppets we have to share the roads with.

Matt
Old 09 November 2002, 10:29 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

... yes R.B they do particularly when you've just moved over from that lane thinking the other lanes are moving faster .... ever been there done that? What's Sod's Law Dad? ....

We're all dooomed ....
Old 09 November 2002, 10:55 PM
TAZMAN
Scooby Regular

Gonna get me a Hummer then drive in two lanes at once and over anything that gets in my way....does that make me mostly ac's?
Old 09 November 2002, 10:57 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

makes you mostly a git

All OK Dave?
Old 09 November 2002, 11:34 PM
Azide
Scooby Regular

There's a new sub-species of 'middle lane moron' that has fast dual carriageways as its habitat.

This evolutionary dead-end drives in the outline lane of a clearish carriageway because they're going to turn right at a roundabout 5 miles ahead!

There is a more poisonous version which as you attempt to undertake (after 3 patient miles following them without flashing or honking, coz you're a nice god-fearing sort-a-guy), then indicates left and tries to slice you up as you pass.

The rare but nasty 'poisonous and completely barking' version can then attempt to road-rage you further because you've somehow ruined their karriageway karma!

As if life isn't tough enough, the A34 in Cheshire is full of these merchant bankers. Personally, I think they're all fundamentalist bicyclists who want to destroy all cars with 150 bhp+!

Dear Doctor, am I taking all this too seriously or shall I go for the Scoobysport twin machine gun front spoiler upgrade?

Cheers,

Azide
Old 09 November 2002, 11:58 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Angry

Azide,
You are spot on, I have to drive on dual carriges ways to work. Every day I end up travelling behind someone at 45mph, who I know is going to sit in the outside lane for two miles then put their right hand indicator on to turn left at the next roundabout. How do they get there driving license?

Cant see the point in the government spending more money on roads until they can get people to use them properly. It wouldnt matter if the M25 was 20 lanes wide, their would still be someone in the outside lane with a big queue of cars behind while the rest of the lanes were empty!!!
Old 10 November 2002, 12:05 AM
stephen30
Scooby Regular

Al c's for me.
Although I do have to admit that I do sometimes stay in the righthand lane to keep out of the way of people. Yeah, I know I shouldn't but sometimes I forget where I am watching the road ahead. If someone wants to pass though I always let them (at least when they've put there car-top blue fairy lights on ..... mmm pretty).
Apart from all of the above, I am at a loss to understand why people in lanes 1&2 always seem t pul out in front of me to ovetake when it will cause me to brake?
This usually happens when there are three cars on the whole road, me, the guy overtaking, and the vehicle being overtaken. Can't they wait for a few more secs till I get past?
Answers on a postcard please..........

<rant off>
Steve
Old 10 November 2002, 01:13 PM
bumcrack
Scooby Regular

Some interesting points here.
I think you'll find that if you pull into the left lane it's emptier than you think(even when it's rush hour), cos most drive in lane 2,3.
In this country if you flash your lights(because you want them to pull over and let you past) some people get all upset and start braking, or they give you the evil eye as you pass like it's your fault they don't know how to drive. It really pi$$s me off its not like this in france.
I don't think most know lanes 2,3 are for overtaking only and not making progress.

I don't think it will ever change
Old 10 November 2002, 03:48 PM
siwrx
Scooby Regular

im sorry it should read mainly c's youre not human youre a total wankshaft who pisses off every other driver on the road with your **** attention to stupid highway code rules written with morons in mind
Old 10 November 2002, 04:37 PM
bumcrack
Scooby Regular

ooooohhh, I guess you got mainly c's then.

Quick Reply: Are you a good motorway driver.(test)