Sponsored by:

Ooops.... How close.

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2001, 04:01 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

hmmm normal story Some dapy bird in the right hand lane of a dual carageway doing 80ish and I'm behind w8in (extreemly paciently) 2 get by for a long time... come to a roundabout and as we both accelerate off she stays in the outside lane accelerating like a 2 legged donkey (or a rav4 ) so I'm close behind now.. ( I REALLY hate undertaking and have only done it twice my whole driving carrer ) and now I'm gettin a little frustrated so I flash my lights.. no movement infront.. I flash again (She has now reacherd terminal velocity of 65). I now start to contemplate undertaking and turn my indicator on to show I do actually want to get by (still not a soul in the inside lane).
Now main beam is on and I'm rapidly loosing patience (she now starts 2 accelerate again?!?) I make to pull in to undertake but check my mirrors and HOLY F**K plod is RIGHT behind me luckily I see and back right off (I was doing max of 80) to 70 and sure enough so does he He can't have been there long as he was nowhere near when we came towards the roundabout but he must a been there for a while. My pants turn a nice shade of brown and I wait for the flashing lights or the finger of doom .

Thankfully he must have seen me wait paciently for ages or just not been there long enough and he carries on and accelerates off (up to at least 90 ). I breath a HUGE sigh of releif and mark NEVER undertake down in my notepad I must have 9 lives or something

[This message has been edited by Dizzy (edited 29 September 2001).]
Old 29 September 2001, 05:04 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Or

<B>"Don't undertake at speeds exceeding the National/posted speed limit" <I>AND</I> "Do so in a safe manner"</B>

AFAIK it is not technically illegal to undertake on the left if done so in a safe manner - ie <I><B>NOT</B></I>driving at an excessive mph above the rest of the flow of traffic & constantly changing lanes

However, be aware that if there is an accident arrising out of an undertaking manouevre, then you may have trouble convincing insurers that you were blameless.

Comments?

[This message has been edited by Puff The Magic Wagon! (edited 29 September 2001).]
Old 29 September 2001, 05:57 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

James

IIRC you are right, but economical with the details. You are allowed undertake, but are not allowed to accelerate to do so. If, for example, you are on the inside lane of the motorway doing a constant speed and the traffic in the other lanes slows down, you are OK to undertake. In Dizzy's case, he would have needed to speed up to overtake, and this would not have been legal. Given the car, Plod would no doubt have intervened.

Just my 2 penny's worth.

Duncan
Old 29 September 2001, 08:02 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Economical with the details - LOL

That's why you'll find me normally on the inside lane on the 2 lane stretch of the M11 Can't be ar$ed with tail-gating in the o/side lane like everyone else They always bunch & slow - so I just cruise innocently up the inside

If Diz had been doing 70 & the doris 65 & he'd come from way behind - then he'd 've been able to u'take with impunity ???

At the end of the day, 9/10 times its total laziness that keeps people in the centre or o/side lanes I think we shoud start a campaign to have radio travel reports say at the end of the clip "And don't forget to keep to the left when driving" - simple but effective & it's driver education we need.