Apologies To Scoobynet

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2002, 12:15 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

D8UGF

In total agreement with you but I think there is little that can be done. It's an epidemic spreading rapidly from people who just want their words to viewed to all.

Never have I seen so many self-righteous, assumption making posts on any board and it really does speak volumes for the state of scoobynet.

Undoubdetly I have added to this before the aforementioned start flaming away

[Edited by SiPie - 11/7/2002 12:16:28 PM]
Old 11 July 2002, 03:02 PM
D8UGF
Scooby Regular

Talking

Jza,
All for a bit if entertainment, I come on the for the same myself,believe me my friends e-mail accounts are full of jokes I've pinched from this site

I fully expected ur reply about not clicking on these threads, and you are quite right if I dont want to see it then I shouldn't click on it. It is just I would like people to at least have some sort of well thought reply/post before they stick it on here. As it is getting increasingly harder to find the funny/interesting /
informative posts among all the stupid ones.

Marty, I agree with you that this is a great site for imformation
and that is the reason for my post. There are a lot of smart, funny, knowledgeable people on here (maybe ) and we all generally have something positive to say, but just recently I think things have got slightly out of hand and we all need to have a think , so we can keep this site up at the level it should be. I haven't been a member that long nor am I some old fuddy duddy that thinks " things weren't like that in my day" (Pete Lewis anyone ) but it is just my opinion and if people are allowed to ask which baseball cap to buy and how to wear it, then I can say I think scoobynet is turning into a pile of sh1te

Dougie

[Edited by D8UGF - 11/7/2002 3:16:25 PM]
Old 07 November 2002, 11:58 AM
D8UGF
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Used to be that you could come on here for advice and some info when required from people that were interested in the car they drove. Over the last couple of days I have asked for some advice regard buying brakes and computer related stuff, got two/three responses at most for each thread (thankyou to the guys that did ) yet threads that are statements like : lost control, thrashed a rs, which fukin' baseball cap should I buy, get 10 page replies wtf is that all about?

It also seems that these responses where everyone is jumping on the "lets get stuck into the poster" bandwagon are increasingly coming from people with a high post count who seem all to willing to get caught up with the current need for posting sh1tty comments.

Is there any chance we could get back to some sort of intelligent conversation on this board? and if anyone has any personal issues with another member of this board have the decency to conduct their grievances in private , instead of airing them on here and getting everyone involved in their petty slanging matches.

Dougie

ps before anyone tells me my heads up my ar$e, I had my anus stitched up before I wrote this post.
Old 07 November 2002, 12:09 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Surely you were one of the contributors to at least one of Saxo Boy's mega-threads though?

People in glass houses, etc.
Old 07 November 2002, 12:20 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

SiPie, frankly your post itself comes across as arrogant and self-important, so you'll realise that nobody's immune to it.
Old 07 November 2002, 12:31 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

I completely agree Marko... again you are correct.

Was just trying to agree with D8UGF.

You must now feel very proud that someone will think your answer is pretty cool and a put down to me
Old 07 November 2002, 12:35 PM
D8UGF
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yep Carl I agree I posted in Saxo's thread, but if you notice it was in the same vain as this one, ie the standard of some of the posts lately, that one included .

Not trying to turn this into a flame war, just want Scoobynet posters to have a think before they type and this will be a better site again for it.

BTW taped the windows up in my glasshouse just after I stitched my anus.

Dougie
Old 07 November 2002, 12:45 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I agree totally doug. I really am to blame for all of this of late and I accept that and appologise. I should have known that a post like that couldn't remain constructive. It really is funny though that a bunch of 17-24 year olds were far more open minded, helpful, encouraging and contructive on SSC (I wonder who'll be the first to say, 'go get a VTS and join them again ).

I wonder how many of these do-gooder posters are mothers and fathers that wave their finger and shout at there 15yo sons/daughters about not taking drugs and then wonder why they come home out their head on smack
Old 07 November 2002, 12:47 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I should have known that a post like that couldn't remain constructive.
TBH, it was your replies to those threads (calling people names, 'pseudo-swearing' etc.) that were the least constructive
Telling someone they made a mistake and they should slow down in the future is constructive.
Old 07 November 2002, 12:53 PM
D8UGF
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

MMMMmmmmm, not admonishing you of this Saxo, but I don't think you are to blame of this lately. Sure, you have contributed to it by THAT post , but there has been a general dumbing down on this site in the last few months.

I am not the first person to have commented on this and I certainly wont be the last, but instead of people having to limit themselves to just going into drivetrain or technical how about we all take a step back and start responding/posting with some thought and intelligence. Then we will maybe all start to enjoy the full site again, and maybe give the mods a day off for once

Dougie
Old 07 November 2002, 12:56 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Would you really want 10 pages of replies about buying brakes? Surely a few responses from people that know their stuff (or are trying to sell their stuff) is far better.

Unfortunately everybody knows about nearly crashing and so the post count will inevitably be higher than replies to buying computer kit, we aren't all geeks
Old 07 November 2002, 12:57 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Its not something that has changed overnight, its been happening for ages.
Ask a serious question = 2 replies
Ask what is the best jam = 300 replies
Sad but true
Or try this one, Post a serious apology about a bad accident and a misleading BB post get 3 serious replies and 40 stupid replies about horses????
Doc
Old 07 November 2002, 01:07 PM
D8UGF
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yes, but unfortunately most of the people that know about nearly crashing didn't post any useful/constructive comments. I have had a few near misses while out playing in the car, but, I put it down to experience and don't feel the need to air it on here, and judging by the responses that were flying about I'm glad I havn't.

You are bringing up one post again, and unfortunately one post does not make a bad site, it is the standard of post in general that has deteriorated.

I know we all have a point of view and you are entitled to yours as I am entitled to mine, but you seem to imply (please correct me if I am wrong) that I have started this post as I am unhappy about the number of replies to my enquiries. This is not the case.
I have noticed lately that the "stupid" IMHO posts have been growing arms and legs, and the sensible posts are increasingly being banished to Drivetrain and General Techncal.

Dougie.

Please note the liberal sprinkling of smilies as I don't want this thread to be taken out of context. Hopefully it can stay as an intelligent discussion.
Old 07 November 2002, 01:38 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I have had a few near misses while out playing in the car, but, I put it down to experience and don't feel the need to air it on here, and judging by the responses that were flying about I'm glad I havn't.
Well I learnt my lesson mate

The 'slow down' 'be careful' posts were not contructive. If you've ever been in a situ where you've just lost control of your car at 80odd mph you don't need to be told to slow down!!!! Believe me the fright of that is a far stronger message than anything anyone can write on the internet!
Old 07 November 2002, 01:53 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

The biggest problem i have seen since joining SN a few months ago is the amount of pointless posts i see moaning about the poor quality of posts on Scoobynet.

I came here for info on scoobs and i got exactly what i was looking for. In addition i found a very mixed, fun community.

Questions aren't just asked about scoobs... there have been hundreds of good treads regarding economics, policing, politics, driving skills, jokes, movies, music etc.. pretty much anything you ask about, you will get an answer. I have no complaints and quite frankly don't want to see this BBS change.

If you don't like non-techy related posts then stick to the tech section. That's what it's there for. Simple.
Old 07 November 2002, 02:12 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

D8UGF,

Another problem you face is that some of us sometimes come on this board for a bit of entertainment..so the odd "funny thread" can add joy to our otherwise miserable existances.....

But never let fun get in the way of a good technical thread eh m8

Maybe you should either

1) Not click thread that have a subject matter of "which baseball cap" so as not to offend...

or

2) Try the technical sections rather than the "general forum"

Jza
Old 07 November 2002, 03:04 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well said Marty - completely agree...

Saxo - do you accept that at least some replies to your "word of warning" thread were constructive and supportive?
(Even if they didn't address the fuel surge question.)

Old 07 November 2002, 03:26 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Of course they were rich but the ones that were bashing me for not thinking about what happened, my driving, etc weren't. I'd fully reflected on these things especially in the shaky moments just after! I had a meeting 10 minutes later and I was almost sick in the persons house I was that stressed out by what had happened.