Sponsored by:

SIDC renewal fee

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2001, 01:05 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it me or was SIDC fee £20 last year?

This means it has gone up if I am right. Does anyone know why cos I haven't seen any reason for it. Have there been extra costs to cover that I dont know about?

Can someone enlighten me?

I dont mind paying but am just questioning value thats all.
Old 26 September 2001, 01:10 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

Adam,

It has gone up (by a whole £5), I believe due to inflation etc. I read somewhere (can't remember if it was True Grip or on the SIDC BBS) that costs are always increasing (nothing specific) which is why it's gone up (and it's not gone up for a couple of years anyway...)

As to the value, how can you possibly question the value????

You know you get more than £25's worth of value from the club per year right???!!!

Besides, you can afford it (as can we all!!! )

Matt
Old 26 September 2001, 01:11 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Hi Adam,

Mine cost 26.06 GBP for this year. I was lucky I was given it as a gift from a friend.

That's with postage to Greece.

I received my kit today.

Cheers,

Wrexy
Old 26 September 2001, 01:11 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Adam

I would imagian that it is just an general increase in costs over the last few years inflation and all that. Also they have renewed their website with a forum and shop so that must cost something.

Quite spooky though as I only renewed my membership 5 minutes before reading your post.

Tim
Old 26 September 2001, 01:21 PM
ChrisB

I've just renewed for the 2001/02 year.

Got the new issue of True Grip this morning - excellent issue, real quality stuff IMO.

ChrisB.
Old 26 September 2001, 01:23 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

It has gone up £5-£6 so as some groups can have Barbies with a £5 donation. Pity I don’t live in that area, but I don’t mind paying for the hard up that can’t afford a burger.
Old 26 September 2001, 01:39 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

When is it due? I've had no info
Old 26 September 2001, 01:42 PM
JohnS

There was a discussion about the fee increase on the SIDC forums
Old 26 September 2001, 02:31 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

I don't think it is fair to say the magazine has forced costs up. I have noticed infinitely more adverts in True Grip, surely these have helped significantly to bring <I>down</I> the cost of the mag?

Cem
Old 26 September 2001, 02:41 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Hi Cem

you are quite right, there are now more ads in the mag.

Productions costs run at between £7500 and £9000 an issue, depending on the number of pages. Advertising recoups 20%-25% of the cost.

There will be detailed accounts at the AGM, <B> which is on the 21st, not the 14th as stated on True Grip </B> which will document all expenditure in the year to end of June.
Old 26 September 2001, 02:50 PM
Peter L
Scooby Regular

Wink

It is well worth the money.

In fact, i think I recouped the entire annual fee on the SIDC discount I got off my recent 30K mile service!

Peter
Old 26 September 2001, 02:53 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Talking

I can't believe we are querying £25

1.A great Mag
2.Dealer Discount

Thats worth twice that alone
let alone all the other bits Track days/BBS/etc

HALF A TANK OF SUL (WELL NOT QUITE)

Pete
where's the AGM being held or are the detailsin True Grip
Phil
Old 26 September 2001, 03:09 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

You dont need to be a member to get a discount on servicing - just a big mouth. If you've got an STI you are bang out of luck anyway as you can't use SUK dealers.
The new SIDC BBS, does the club pay for it? Ridiculous waste of fee's if so, it's redundant.
Chuck
Old 26 September 2001, 03:47 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

SIDC, WHAT HAPPENED TO SENDING E-MAILS. I know of a few people that have missed track days and the like, due to no notification. Why bother asking for e-mail address if nothing comes out. I dont even get a sniff of a mail from my regional organiser.

Dan

PS. I thought that membership increases had to be approved my the members of a club, or club rules had to be passed before being made hard rules.
Old 26 September 2001, 03:55 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Danny,

Thanks for making my point.

Obviously I dont give a damn about an extra £5. But as it has been stated, I thought members had a say in what goes on inside the club.

Was there a vote oking the increase in membership fees, and further to this, is it fair to expect us to pay for a bbs that is practically worthless.

The fact that I have decided to raise this issue here partly exposes the point. How many people on here regularly check the sidc bbs? I certainly dont.

And someone should sort out the questions area. The fact that only a handful of experts can reply, and once you receive a reply you cant ask further makes it a useless feature.

I understand the sidc needs an internet presence, but why should it be one that costs its members money. This bbs is infinitely more informative and user friendly yet the advertising on here is striving to keep it as a free service.

Given the already powerful influence of scoobynet, why should we be made to pay for another internet presence albeit a useless one in the light of thiis bulletin board?
Old 26 September 2001, 04:36 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Danny Fisher:
<B>
PS. I thought that membership increases had to be approved my the members of a club, or club rules had to be passed before being made hard rules.[/quote]

They do. We realised the paradox, after asking for the AGM to be moved. The decision we took as a committee can be over ruled at the AGM and we would have to refund the difference to members that have already renewed, if the increase is rejected.

But then without enough revenue to run the club, there might as well be no club at all.

Adam, with regard to the clubs internet presence, the need to have on-line shopping/membership is why we bought a server, the bbs hosting is effectively free. It is the place to see what SIDC events are planned.
Old 26 September 2001, 04:43 PM
JohnS

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Danny Fisher:
<B>SIDC, WHAT HAPPENED TO SENDING E-MAILS. I know of a few people that have missed track days and the like, due to no notification. Why bother asking for e-mail address if nothing comes out. I dont even get a sniff of a mail from my regional organiser.[/quote]

Excellent point Danny. At the moment only the membership secretary has access to the e-mail addresses. Perhaps it would be a good idea to give each of the regional organisers a list of e-mail addresses of the members in their area (with their permission of course), so that they could organise more events, and keep members informed of local activities An idea like this would certainly have my backing, although it would mean a bit more work to keep the lists up to date on a regular basis.
Old 26 September 2001, 04:45 PM
Silent Monkey
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Pete Croney:
<B>

the bbs hosting is effectively free. It is the place to see what SIDC events are planned.[/quote]

It may also have been the place to announce the AGM. The first mention I saw was Stef's incorrect date posted on here. I gather it's in TG so could have been on the SIDC board many weeks ago, given that TG has been delayed.

If it's on the SIDC board I can't find it, neither can those who have asked when it is today.

Old 26 September 2001, 04:55 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

My one biggest gripe????

It seems to be based around supporting UK cars

Discount for UK cars only, import owners do make up some of the membership, isn't it about time we started getting a benefit? I will rejoin the SIDC as I joined because I thought it was for ALL impreza owners, finding no discount options for owning an import saddened me.

As far as I am concerned, unless Subaru UK start realising you can't stop the grey import market and start working with it rather than snubbing it, I will never buy a UK Impreza.

But SIDC membership, on the whole I do feel is good value for money and I will continue to support them.

Michelle.

Silver MY94 WRX
Old 26 September 2001, 05:14 PM
JohnS

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by MichelleWRX1994:
<B>My one biggest gripe????

It seems to be based around supporting UK cars

Discount for UK cars only, import owners do make up some of the membership, isn't it about time we started getting a benefit? I will rejoin the SIDC as I joined because I thought it was for ALL impreza owners, finding no discount options for owning an import saddened me.[/quote]

Michelle, see my post in the other thread. There are at least two places (AWD Motorsport and Falkland Performance Centre) who do give SIDC members discounts on parts (including many popular aftermarket performance parts) and labour (regular servicing and fitting of any parts purchased). Both offer mail order facilities and will deliver parts anywhere in the UK or Europe (probably the entire world as well, bu I'm not sure )

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR><B>But SIDC membership, on the whole I do feel is good value for money and I will continue to support them.[/quote]

Many people seem to forget that we give up many many hours of our own time (probably an average of at least 10 to 20 hours per week!), unpaid, to run the club and organise events - and it's good to get some messages of support from time to time
Old 26 September 2001, 05:21 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Talking

I have'nt attended a trackday yet(but I am trying)

But still wholey support the commitee and there efforts

THANKS

Phil
Old 26 September 2001, 05:26 PM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I reckon it's an absolute bargain for a well run club with a great mag, and I save the cost of membership on servicing and parts from my dealer.

Simon.
Old 26 September 2001, 05:27 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<B>Just to clarify a point, the SIDC's internet presence will cost members NOTHING.

It is fully funded by advertising.</B>

Old 26 September 2001, 07:25 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Smile

It also has to be remembered that all the commitee members Pete, Lee, Lisa etc do all of their work on a voluntary basis. Imagine how much the costs would spiral if we had to pay someone to do all of this admin work.

I say it,s good value at £25, even moreso for the people who have a local dealer that gives an SIDC discount or for people that attend track days.

Chip.
Old 26 September 2001, 09:17 PM
kwack
Scooby Regular

Just renewed £25 and saved £50 at the 45000 mile service.

Look at the liost of dealers that give 10% discount you should retrieve your membership fee within a year

Kwack
Old 26 September 2001, 09:23 PM
muddy
Scooby Regular

So when will I be getting my renewal notice then Pete????????????????????????????????

Muddy
Old 26 September 2001, 09:25 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

It's only £25 for pity sake!! Try and get such a great mag like True Grip, few stickers and stuff elsewhere and see wot the same will buy.
Old 26 September 2001, 09:27 PM
Matty B
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Pete Croney:
<B>

the AGM, [b] which is on the 21st, not the 14th as stated on True Grip [/quote]

So why are there not any e-mails (or flyers for the non-PC members) advising us of these dates???????

Should we not be informed, should we not be asked if there is an issue /question to raise for the AGM?

Thanks Pete,

Matthew

Old 26 September 2001, 09:27 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Pete,

thanks for clearing that up. Makes complete sense. I was only a little peaved at all of us not having been consulted. I cant imagine anyone truly objectng to the price increase, I certainly wont.

It is also nice to hear from lee that the sidc bbs is costing nothing, so all in all everything is in tact.

Seeing as stef owes me £10 on behalf of the sidc, can I safely send a cheque for £15.
Old 26 September 2001, 10:16 PM
Ali G
Scooby Newbie

I just renewed mine for £25 but at Ceam Motors Surrey they give you 10% off parts & labour if you have SIDC, so more than pays for itself