ICE Help - Kenwood or Alpine?

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2001, 09:17 AM
Hex
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi All

I've finally got around to upgrading the system in my MY00 and have £350 to play with (for starters) so I'm looking at a CD headunit and 6 disc CD boot changer - question is do I go for Alpine (seems slightly better kit) or Kenwood? (or something else??)

I know this should be a ICE forum post but I need to make a quick decision as I've got Scoob booked into the audio shop at 10am today.

The speakers and amps will come later...

Any ideas or thoughts?

Cheers

NeilT
Old 26 September 2001, 09:23 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I have a Kenwood 10 cd unit which i am very pleased with. it is 3 years old and no probs whatsoever (transfered it to the Scoob a couple of months ago)

No experience of Alpine stuff - always though it looked cheaper if you know what i mean

Paul
Old 26 September 2001, 09:39 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Hi Neil,

I've an Alpine CTM-1505R Head Unit and CHA-1214 CD changer in my car. I've only had trouble with the player skipping and jumping when it was installed in the spare wheel bay. I had the kit in my VW Golf for 2yrs without any problems, before moving it to the Scoob.

Someone suggested more cushioning, but it got so bad that I spent an hour at the weekend removing a jammed CD from it.

I've sinced moved it to the back of the rear seat and it hasn't skipped yet.

I was looking at adding a 2nd changer for some Mini-Dics, but Alpine only have an in-dash one. Also, they don't do a decent remote control that you could mount to the dash/steering wheel. That's the only gripes I have against them.

If I was in the market for new kit, I'd probably go for the Kenwood stuff. It's cheaper, seems more flexible and you can easily add a remote control stick thingy.

Stefan
Old 26 September 2001, 09:43 AM
NeVeTaS2001
Scooby Regular

Go for the Kenwood...
Old 26 September 2001, 09:43 AM
neveryoumind
Scooby Regular

My missus has a Kenwood, and I used to have an alpine. They're both good makes with quality sound. Try using them and see which you get on with.

Mark

ps, if theyr'e in a stand, stand to the right of the unit when trying to change channels etc. to see if one is too fiddly
Old 26 September 2001, 09:59 AM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Talking

had Alpine in my last car and Kenwood in this one. Both similar priced units (tape head unit with CD multi box in the boot.) It's purely personal but I'd go for Alpine every time.
Old 26 September 2001, 10:52 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Had Kenwoods in virtually all my cars - changed to an Alpine - had it in for 3 weeks and the CD has died. Has to go back to Alpine, now I'm without a stereo for god knows how long.

Not a good first impression - saying that, the sound quality is better than similar priced Kenwoods.....

Trending Topics

Old 26 September 2001, 11:11 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I've always had Alpine stereos (over 9 years)...

until about a year ago, when I was after a MD headunit, with 3 pre-outs at 4V.

Alpine didn't have anything close, but Kenwood did. It's a MASK unit, so I don't have to fiddle with face plates. I've since found Kenwood sound quality to be as good as Alpine units.

Only gripe, the Alpine CD changers are quicker at swapping disks and are physically smaller than Kenwood items! - you can't have it all I guess!

Andy
Old 26 September 2001, 01:33 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

I have had a couple of Alpine units and they were always good especially speed of autochanger. I had a Kenwood for a while but have just changed to a Pioneer MD head unit and 6 disc cd changer - this is the best I have ever had and also has a good remote control too.
Old 26 September 2001, 06:46 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

I've had 3 Kenwood decks and CD stackers and have now got an Alpine deck and stacker. I had MB Quart mids and tweeters with Rockford Fosgate woofers powered by a Rockford Fosgate power 1000 for both applications, the Kenwood and Alpine. I found that the Alpine has slightly better sound. The Kenwood being slightly harsher on the ears. Most people wouldn't notice but my ears are sensitive to sounds.

Cheers,

Wrexy.

[This message has been edited by WREXY (edited 26 September 2001).]