Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So many scoobies, how do you rate them all?

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2001, 12:31 AM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>

SIDC FAQ

Many questions are often raised regarding the type of fuel needed for the Impreza. The sticker inside the petrol cap says use Super unleaded only, but this has different meanings in different countries. In the UK, the standard (or premium) unleaded fuel is rated at 95 RON, the same as the Super available in other countries such as Australia and the US. In the UK, Super Unleaded is rated at 97 RON (was 98 until 1999). In Japan, it is 100. Generally, in the UK, normal unleaded is fine. In countries where lower quality fuel is available, then the best advise would be to run on the Super (or Premium) Unleaded fuel. Beware of octane boosters, as many contain lead or lead-like substances which will damage the catalytic convertor and oxygen (Lambda) sensor..

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SIDC seem to think that 95RON is OK, is the concensous here that 97RON is better? (I guess anything which is closer to the Jap 100RON is the way forward, no?)

[This message has been edited by sKunk (edited 24 September 2001).]
Old 24 September 2001, 12:43 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by sKunk:
<B> SIDC seem to think that 95RON is OK, is the concensous here that 97RON is better? (I guess anything which is closer to the Jap 100RON is the way forward, no?)[/quote]

That quote is really referring to the UK spec cars, which are happy to run on 95 RON fuel. In the UK, that's as low a rating as is generally available, but in other countries fuel of even this quality may be labelled as 'super' - hence the sticker. Many owners prefer to run on Super unleaded (or Optimax) even in these cars and do benefit from it in power, smoothness and economy.

The Japanese spec cars (WRX, STI) are a different story; they're designed for 100 RON fuel and can be damaged if run on anything less. To be completely safe from engine damage you'll need a combination of Super unleaded and (probably) octane booster, or to get the engine remapped. Running one unmodified on 95 RON fuel is asking for trouble. But I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Andy.
(UK spec MY00 with PPP)
Old 24 September 2001, 09:59 AM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

There are so many scooby variants out there it makes my head spin. Being fairly knew to the scene I have no idea which scooby is better than the others and what bhp these bad boys throw out.

So in order to help me a little and to see how everyone rates the different scoobies available how about listing the scoobies you are aware of in order of preference. If you know standard bhp figures as well that would be grand.

On a side note I have been looking at a WRX STI TYPE R this weekend and may well buy it this week, but I have no idea what the BHP figures for this beast are nor how it compares to the other scoobies out there
Old 24 September 2001, 10:24 AM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Have a look at
Old 24 September 2001, 10:27 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

This is a good start
Old 24 September 2001, 10:49 AM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info guys! The FAQ link is exactly what I have been looking for and it only took a couple of threads until I coaxed the info out of you

Man do I have the hots for the TYPE R now Insurance is quoted at £1200 with privilege (30 years old, no claims, 3 years NCB).

All I have to do now is talk the dealer out of a couple of grand
Old 24 September 2001, 11:25 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

sKunk,
only one down side with the jap imports and that is you dont have a dealer network ie, you cant take your car to subaru uk for ANYTHING!! but there are enough speciallist dealers like scoobysport who can provide excellent servicing and parts for you car

Tony
Old 24 September 2001, 11:27 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ooooops, forgot to say, jap imports only run on SUL fuel (try shell optimax as its 98.6 ron) dont try to cheat and run it on normal UL as it can cause det in the engine and sti engines aint cheap

Tony
Old 24 September 2001, 01:22 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

sKunk, on an Sti the minimum you should be looking at is SUL, which may be a problem depending on where you are based in the Highlands. When I go up to my parents (in Wick) I sometimes have to put £10 NUL, in just to make it back down to Inverness, in those circumstances I put in a double helping of Octane booster with the NUL to compensate.

The Type-r would suit the tight corners and short straights up there, not sure what it'll make of the somewhat less than smooth roads though, best to get a test drive first.

You should also ensure that you can get somewhere that can service / supply parts for it, as that was why I got a UK car.
Old 24 September 2001, 01:46 PM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.

I'm based in Edinburgh so plenty of SUL available. I'll have to re-calculate my fuel budget though

Currently I run a slammed Calibra with the hardest suspension ever. A real filling shaker but it's cornering is awesome. I'm actually looking forward to the smoother suspension of the TYPE R

There is still a couple of hurdles before I can get this motor but even if I don't get this one I will soon have a scooby. I really appreciate the help I have gotten so far from this site. Good work