Sponsored by:

F.A.O Shunty!

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2001, 11:56 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hiya mate! you were posting about having ya motor superchipped. just wondered if you went ahead with it? hows it running and how do you find it improves your car? i had a go in MY01 with PD B/B, K/n and chipped. t went like a scalded cat above 4000 rpm, bit sluggish under that. its done 5000 miles and a couple of trackdays with no probs to date. quite impressive though! whats yours like! cheers Lee
Old 23 September 2001, 11:16 AM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Hi Lee P -

I did post mate about a week ago, & even remembered to quote your name as well....
The results:

With the new magnex down-pipe(now giving me a complete de-catted system) & superchip, allegedly running 15.5psi (no boost gauge fitted as yet)

278bhp & 240lbs , I was expecting the torque to be higher as this is the important one.
I now find the car vastly different through the gears, where it used to cry out for a gear change @ 4000rpm, it's now lifted to 6000rpm. It is a lot smoother, seems to have evened out the power band, less jerky etc.

Also the new down-pipe has made less noise inside the car but beautiful deep growl outside. Raced my mate the other day, he has a 328i bmw, been tweaked all over, he said I sounded like a touring car when I passed him (straight, quiet road btw)

I now feel the car is as complete as I need it, fast enough for me

shunty
Old 23 September 2001, 03:29 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by shunty:
I now feel the car is as complete as I need it, fast enough for me

shunty[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i will give you 2 more weeks before you get used to it and want more actually in couple of weeks you will start thinking of that chip is making any difference at all, because the car is now feeling as slow as standard

Old 23 September 2001, 07:17 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Sam E - your probably right, what's that saying "too much is never enough"

Actually while your here Sam, I had a new clutch fitted, it is a Borg & Beck. I believe its a heavy duty clutch rather than a race jobby, but I have a question:
the bite point is right at the top, exactly where it was with the old clutch. Is this normal for a new clutch. Smells awful when I dump it at about 4000revs, and seems to "hang the clutch". I don't know the technical terms, but appears to stick the clutch at high revs, only off the line, like my old one did

I thought that with this being a brand new one & heavy duty then I would have a clean start so to speak, I would appreaciate your advice on this please.

cheers

shunty
Old 23 September 2001, 11:16 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

i don't know much about clutches mate, i have got an AP organic clutch which is the same as the standard but a lot stronger and can handle the power that i am putting through it . this is not a Peddle clutch ( what i presume you meant by racing ).

no idea what you mean by it sticks ? do you mean it slips ie revs go up but the car is not moving ? if so then it is not handling the abuse you are putting the car through.
Old 23 September 2001, 11:17 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi shunty! cheers for reply, ive been on holiday for the last week or so and havent done any searches since i got back, cheers for remembering me though. glad its o.k! this one i drove felt kinda lumpy under 4000 rpm, did you mention all the response you got off here to the tuner? what did they say? hows the fuel economy? cheers Lee