Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2000, 12:45 AM
Paul Frank
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had a McRae before, then chipped it.
Now have STi5 saloon.

Difference? Lots, a summary:

Power: McRae = very turbo feel, STi5 = loads more bottom end torque (far more driveable could use 3rd gear all day round Manchester).
Revs? never managed to stall mine - pulls like . . . well a very pully thing
When I drive Karen's BMW323 I'm always stalling it.
No bottom end torque - from 2500cc / 6 cylinders ? I ask you !

Suspension: McRae = excellent, STi5 as Rannoch said a bit hard

Gearbox: I greatly prefer the change and the gearing on the STi5.

General: STi5 feels far more pointy (or twitchy if you prefer) but I'm told improved by a tyre swap (BUT being a Yorkshireman I've got to wear the 1st set out first)
If anything the McRae inspired over confidence - in the STi I'm always aware that I'm driving a performance car.

Finally:
No bright button
Rear wash/wipe

FWIW just my hunble, personal opinions
Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Frank (edited 17-02-2000).]
Old 17 February 2000, 10:09 AM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Question

I would like to know how does an sti v drives?
Does it have a problem with low revs or is it like Car magazine said that it feels powerful all the way from 1500 rpm?
Old 17 February 2000, 10:50 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

You will NOT have a problem with low revs - you will NEVER use them

Oh, alright then - real power comes in at around 3200 with max torque typically at 3,900. If you are at 1500 in 4th and expect to take off, you will be disappointed - but there again you would be in most cars that aren't either turbo diesels or supercharged.

As a practical day to day supercar the STi V has to be right up there near the top of the tree - no where near as 'coarse' as the original Autocar/Car reviews. Not a quiet as the UK car, but it is typically faster - although some UK cars are catching up - eh Stef?

The main downside is hard suspension - although having lived with it on country roads, anything softer just makes me feel queasy.

Rannoch

[This message has been edited by Rannoch (edited 17-02-2000).]
Old 17 February 2000, 01:35 PM
healeyb
Scooby Regular

Be aware of the differences between the 2dr (type R) and 4 door models. The type R has shorter gearing and will be doing 150mph at 7900 rpm (not entirely sure of my figures), whereas the 4dr does 21.8 mph per 1000rpm in top. I've had an indicated 165mph out of my 4dr during a short burst on a continental road @ 7500rpm. Also the type R has the adjustable diff lock and intercooler water spray, and I think I'm right in saying no ABS on account of the diff lock.

I find that the turbo starts to cut in at about 2700 rpm and I find the ride much smoother than a 1.9 GTI. At about 3000rpm it's unrelentless power all the way to 6500rpm, and though the red line is at 7900 it seems happier below 6500-7000, especially before the engine has loosened up.

On the way back from the way back from the south of France I averaged 16mpg!

The only thing I'm considering upgrading are the brakes which though not bad lack overkill.

[This message has been edited by healeyb (edited 17-02-2000).]
Old 17 February 2000, 02:42 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Healeyb is correct that a standard car is best below 6500rpm as it does not rev that freely beyond this level.

In a car with a larger bore back box HKS/Blitz/Scoobysport and a freeflowing air filter/induction kit you will find that the revs will just fly round to the limit of 8250 (I think).

So it is definately a bit asthmatic above 6500.

Also you will find that with additional octane booster (2-3%) the car will run smoother as there will be less knock at high revs and so it is smoother...

...HOWEVER, even using 6500rpm as a limit, the car is absolutely fabulous, and although on paper with that limit it is theoretically no more powerful than a UK car, the difference is palpable.

Also, pointyness is greatly improved by Anti-lift kit and Solid Sway bar end links - about £200 - big overall improvement to handling with some benefit to ride.

Go on, buy one!

Rannoch

[This message has been edited by Rannoch (edited 17-02-2000).]