Sponsored by:

Prevention of car jacking

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2001, 09:09 AM
detheridge02
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

After an attempted car-jacking last night I was wondering if anyone here has any ideas or suggestions to prevent such events.

For information sake, if you are followed by a silver old model Honda Accord in the Dinnington area (South Yorkshire) or on the motorways around there (they followed me a good 15 - 20 miles) KEEP DRIVING. I pulled into the services between Junction 30 and 31 south bound they crawled in as though parking opposite then spun the car round and stopped across the front of my car (MY97 WRX). There were two largish blokes but due it being dark I couldnt see a lot (plus by that time I was half way across the car park in reverse). They tried to chase but the power of the scoob left them standing.

Time to get a second car thats not so risky to drive about in

Old 18 September 2001, 09:17 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Bleedin 'ell mate!! Glad your ok!!!!

If it happens again try running them over!!!

jza
Old 18 September 2001, 09:28 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I had something similar happen to me in Coventr when I use to drive a Lexus LS400, waiting at lights until some low life came upto my open window and said "Get Out"!

Another one came to the passenger side and opened the door, I said "If I get out theres gonna be some serious hassle" then I tried to open my door and they must have realised that I wasn't going to give the car up without a fight so the tozzers ran off!

Only a couple of young lads with a small bat, ive heard alot worse from people who have beem jacked and its not nice.

Stories of kids bouncing a ball in the middle of the road to make you stop so they can rush you, people with shotguns who are not afraid to use them.

Best thing to do is keep your doors always locked when in the car, but if its someone with a serious weapon just let them have it as no cars worth your life!

Always report incidents like this to the police incase they try it again.

Harj...

Old 18 September 2001, 10:01 AM
detheridge02
Scooby Regular

I've reported the incident and hope that the CCTV cameras at the petrol station where they started to follow me have them on film.

Even handing over the keys is no guarantee of your safety, you'd probably still get a damn good kicking or worse.

Just lucky I picked a spot I could reverse out of and that I'm ok. Also VERY glad my girlfriend wasn't in the car.

Maybe I should setup a large static electricity charge through the body panels ;-) that'd teach them
Old 18 September 2001, 10:06 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

Some of those South African Flame Throwers from the sills of the car are just the trick LOL

Old 18 September 2001, 10:17 AM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Why did you pull up if they had been following you for so long?

Sorry about that but you gotta be so careful. Keep doors locked, look who's around you all the time. Its quite good fun after a while. Y'know, them and us and all that.
Old 18 September 2001, 10:46 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will see if I can remember the advice given from the Top Gear article on car jacking:

* Always lock your doors when you're in the car
* Take different routes home
* Don't look like you're lost
* In traffic always leave room in front should you need to get out
* If you're followed, drive to a service or police station (service stations have CCTV) - they said not to speed off (tempting)
* If you get shunted fom behind (a friend of my dad had his Scooby stolen at gunpoint this way) don't stop to swap details, take the number plate and drive to the nearest police station.

Here's hoping none of us have to actually use this.

Steve.

[This message has been edited by stevencotton (edited 18 September 2001).]
Old 18 September 2001, 01:05 PM
CharliePsycho
Scooby Regular

My brother was in a car jacking 'incident' some time ago. Three cars surrounded him on a dual carriageway and slowed down together...

Not being totally stupid he anchored on very hard, the guy behind shunted him (very lightly though - think he reacted rather than planned) and then my brother took off into town... he reported some partial plates to the police who said they had heard about it from others as well (apparently they tried it next to a slip road and another guy just turned off!!)

Never heard that they got caught though...
Old 18 September 2001, 01:34 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Angry

This happened to my mum a few months ago while she was driving into Birkenhead in her Range Rover.
Thankfully she had time to lock the doors so that they couldn't get in, and with a bit of good luck the traffic lights changed to green so she was able to drive away.

I've always been concerned that you may be running low on petrol. In this case you can't really drive too far which may aid the car jackers!

Andy.
Old 18 September 2001, 02:04 PM
kav
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by andym172:
<B>This happened to my mum a few months ago while she was driving into Birkenhead in her Range Rover.
Thankfully she had time to lock the doors so that they couldn't get in, and with a bit of good luck the traffic lights changed to green so she was able to drive away.

I've always been concerned that you may be running low on petrol. In this case you can't really drive too far which may aid the car jackers!

Andy.[/quote]

Or you could let your car run out of petrol and they'd be completely knackered.
Old 18 September 2001, 02:53 PM
detheridge02
Scooby Regular

I nearly did carry on but

a) thought it safer stopping or being at services (which proved not to be the case as it was almost deserted) and
b) if I had carried on would they have followed me home. Thus risking myself, the car and my house?

Unfortunately the services didnt have a cop shop attached either

Thankfully I had just filled up with Optimax on my way to my girlfriends so I had near enough a full tank. The scoob possibly saved my life by being able to get away but also risked it by attracting their attention!

Funny comment about kids and *****, on the way to see the missus some kids bouncing ***** across a road in Chesterfield, all the cars carried on and one drove over the ball... what a shame ;-) what a nasty driver O:-)

A lesson learnt... never stop if you think you are at risk. Just wish I'd known where the nearest (open) Police station was.
Old 18 September 2001, 04:37 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Unhappy

'OPEN' Police Station.... HAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahahaha sad depressed laughter fades into background.....

The two towns closest to me both have police stations - are they manned - are they ****.

You pick up a blue phone outside and talk to a police station 25 miles away, who then says they have never heard of the place you are calling from, what county is it in?.......inspires confidence NOT!
Old 18 September 2001, 07:35 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Isn't this what the Clifford BlackJax is all about? The car runs fine for a mile or two (to get the trouble a safe distance away) but it then stops, completely immobilised.

It doesn't save you from the trauma of being jacked in the first place, though. Best to keep a very wary eye open, as detailed above.

Richard.
Old 18 September 2001, 09:16 PM
tarmacterrorist
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Clifford Blackjax does work.
Have one fitted to my scooby but be prepared to punch the code in everytime any door is opened & closed. Can be a pain at times but from what you are saying in this thread it seems a good idea in some parts of the country.

Andy.