Sponsored by:

Meet Etiquette - A few pesetas more.

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2001, 11:07 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

A family holiday meant I missed both TRAX and the Wales weekend so I flew out slightly disappointed that the dates clashed.

Reading what purports to be constructive comment on the Wales trip I’m beginning to feel it was better to be Scoobyless in the sun!

Whilst in no way condoning reckless driving I’m not certain that I wish to participate if means I am liable to be subjected to public criticism by self appointed arbiters of driving standards and then condemned by the wider community on hearsay evidence.

We all interpret situations in slightly different ways and I have certainly seen maneuvers on runs that I wouldn’t have executed, but that occurs in day to day driving as well.

Further comment on allegations of dangerous driving would be inappropriate, however banter at a bar or campsite does not inevitably develop into conflict on the road.

Perhaps I’m fortunate but I’ve never seen anything that could be interpreted as racing, unless it’s defined as two or more cars travelling at a similar speed in close proximity. I followed a Westie for many miles through the Lakes but despite banter and wind-ups it wasn’t a race!

Risky overtaking should never be necessary. If the car behind wishes to pass, as with track days, the correct response would surely be to slow down and let it through safely not to frustrate the driver into rash action. If their driving is inappropriate discuss it with the organiser/individual afterwards, alternatively drive a Scooby equipped with blue lights.

Old 17 September 2001, 11:16 PM
wrx
Scooby Regular

Well said.

Matt
Old 17 September 2001, 11:23 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Exactly banshi, exactly as it should have been, it should never have escalated to the level it did & greater understanding & respect amongst participants would prevent such occurences!

The matter has now been dealt with and is closed!
Old 18 September 2001, 01:08 AM
matt d
Scooby Regular

I don't know what went on at this meet, apart from Michelle getting very drunk

There are two driving habits on the road that are ALWAYS dangerous, no matter what anyone says, and that's overtaking round blind bends, and tailgating at speed. Neither of them can be excused by "personal judgement" since you simply can't see hazards ahead.

Personally I haven't seen this much whenever I've met fellow petrolheads, but if it happened I would have a quiet word, and I hope everyone else would do the same if for some reason I drove like that.

There was a thread here a while back about a scoob driver who got about 4 years inside for killing someone in a crash on a country lane. He didn't even overtake or tailgate - just understeered off into another car. He was a regular rallycross driver, so probably not incompetent behind the wheel. Might be worth thinking about what happened to him next time anyone fancies trying a risky move on the road. If you keep rolling the dice, eventually your number will come up.
Old 18 September 2001, 08:39 AM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Cool

Good to have you back Barry, although you could have brought some of that warmer weather back with you
Old 18 September 2001, 09:56 AM
banshi
Scooby Regular

CW Server probs prevented me getting back sooner.

The specific discussion about the weekend is rightly laid to rest. I was just wished to dispel the myth that these meets deteriorate into mini Gumball Rallys and maybe extend the discussion to consider a code of conduct for these events.

e.g. I usually hold my group position on the road, even if it means following someone through the town centre , but it can be a little frustrating. Others switch places at catch up points and some overtake on route.