Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

What have they done to my car?! 2wd tests on a 4wd car!!

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2002, 10:17 AM
Re-Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Spent a wonderful morning at the TÜV (= MOT centre here in Germany) getting a certificate for the Scoob to prove it is ok for German roads and passes the emissions tests. One of the first tests they did was to put the front wheels on rollers, stick the handbrake on, then run some quick power tests to check the clutch works etc. Likewise to check the brakes work properly. They then move the car forward and do a similar thing on the rear wheels. (I was away from the car at the time and didn't really notice what was going on ).

Problem is... Scoobs are of course 4wd [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Result: first time he stalls immediately. Afterwards he just uses more power... final result: lots of bad clutch-burning smell from both clutch and (mainly) centre diff, which is locked at one side of course.

The car still seems to drive fine - no wheelspin on a quickish take-off on wet roads, so the diff's still working ok. At the moment. But for how long?

I am not a happy bunny...

Anyone know what the long-term result of this sort of abuse is? I assume the centre diff may let go early [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Richard
Old 25 October 2002, 10:22 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Rich, welcome to Germany, I had mine TÜVd last week and I had to remove the 22B spoiler, OZ wheels, strut brace, PE T75 Backbox.

I also had to provide the TÜV certificates for the KW suspension and the Goodridge brake hoses.

I have spoke to Subaru Sausageland and they where not much help.

see my post in the Styling forum about my spoiler.

Why did you get your car TÜVd anyway? I am taking mine back to the UK to get UK plates on it so I don't have to go through this bol10x ever again.
Old 25 October 2002, 01:15 PM
Re-Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Yeah, they complained that the Momo steering wheel was aftermarket fit too! So I had to explain to them that it isn't . At least they didn't spot the PPP and they assumed the odometer was in kph so I don't have to change that Small recompense though

By law you have to get it TÜV'd if you're living over here. The main problem is insurance - no German company will insure a car on UK plates. And my UK car insurance is good over here while I have a green card, but they still need a permanent address. I'm using my old address with them for the moment, but as I'm here long-term I reckon it's worth the hassle. But not the damage

Richard
Old 25 October 2002, 01:21 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
You must be able to get compensation for that??

I've no idea about German law, but sounds like basic negligence under UK law; a vehicle testing expert should know what he's doing, and as all Subarus are 4WD, he should have known not to do that... it's not like you had a closet 4WD conversion that he didn't know about.

I don't give a damn about the contracts ("we accept no responsibility for damage..." etc etc), but you should be able to get them under some sort of negligence.

Good luck

BJH
Old 25 October 2002, 01:35 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

i had a very similar experience in different circumstances.

my car was towed (coz the clutch had dies) and i left it to be taken from a to b. finds out that the bloke came out n towed it with the front wheels in the air and the back wheels on the floor.
they fitted the clutch and power tested the car on the rollers afterwards, however i get the impression that it even tho its ok now, the long term situation is that it is gonna be fcuked.

whats the story ? is this so ?

paul-s
Old 25 October 2002, 01:50 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
it depends on what car you have as to how much damage has occured.

If its just a UK spec car then you have a viscous centre diff. The issue will be, did they load it up long enough to cook the viscous fluid, overheat the plates that spin in the fluid?

You may not notice a problem, even if there is one, untill you start to drive the car hard as only then does the diff really come into play.

Find a low grip road you know well and see how it handles. If its nasty then bye bye centre diff.
Old 25 October 2002, 02:36 PM
Re-Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thanks John. It's a UK-spec MY00, and was only held under load for about 30-60 seconds each time. I'll wait until it's a bit icey or snowy and then see - if it's on it's way out or dead, then I think one set of wheels will spin wildly while the others won't?

Ta,

R
Old 25 October 2002, 02:39 PM
323GTR
Scooby Regular

There's a chance your centre diff is screwed, test it as stated above, then screw the people who did it...

Also, you can get european insurance policies, my policy covers me to drive anywhere in europe, no need for a green card. Came in handy when I lived in Ireland for a bit, insurance over there is :O
Old 25 October 2002, 05:14 PM
Re-Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

Who did you get your European insurance with?

Another thing - which is the weaker link: the clutch or the diff? If the clutch is weaker, then maybe that suffered more than the diff (which obviously suffered)...

R
Old 25 October 2002, 05:42 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Unhappy

Just re read what you posted, diffs dont smell rich, so all that stink was your clutch. I wouldnt be surprised to see one knackered clutch and flywheel if you were smelling it after the run.! Have you noticed any diference in take up feel?
Old 25 October 2002, 05:57 PM
Re-Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Right, good point. Thanks John. I'll take it to a dealer and get them to have a look. How much of a big job is it to look at the clutch? I guess the gearbox has to come out or something

Initial impression was no different on driving home, but I was driving like a Sunday 50mph driver on the way home. I'll be using it a fair bit over the next week, so I'll see how it goes...

What a nightmare... what did they do to my baby! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

R
Old 25 October 2002, 06:08 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Inspecting the clutch is 4 or 5 hour job.
I would go and speak to the dealer (or get on the phone to IM technical dept) get a letter explaining the likely outcome of such treatment of the car then go and see the manager/supervisor at the testing station and explain what has happened and the likely results before you have to fork out from your own pocket to have anything inspected.

Andy