Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK300 V's New Sti - no competition!

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2001, 10:23 PM
Hutchy M
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been looking at some of the pics of the new sti and i'm glad i did'nt wait for one!

I took delivery of a UK300 in July and im very pleased with it.

Anyone else agree?
Old 13 September 2001, 10:40 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

I personally prefer the look of certain parts of the STI to the UK300.

The front bumper, grill and rear wing on the Prodrive version. I would of liked to see 18" wheels as std and the UK300 lights. However I hope they are on the option list. Also hope if they do 18" wheels they are an exchange option.

Better than the UK300. Dont think we will know untill we see the price. Also need to get confirmation of a PPP.

IF you could get the STI Prodrive version with PPP for 29,995 then IMHO it will be a better car than the UK300. More than that and as others have said, there will be a few lying around unwanted.

Jonathan
UK300
Old 13 September 2001, 10:49 PM
Hutchy M
Scooby Newbie

Any news of a UK300 meeting or website?
Old 13 September 2001, 11:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I actually think that they will sell more STi's than you think! and also as its 80% new engine and vvc its going to be better on the road too!
its 6 speed box will make up for any flat spots and if prodrive get their hands on it and do a performance pack for it you can be looking at 300bhp!
Its definately better than the uk300 and this was their intention, they have succeeded
I wasnt tempted by the MY01 or the uk300 but now i am tempted by the STI
Remember its a stronger engine, gearbox, clutch, better diffs, the lot.
In comparison the UK300 is just a wrx with bits added, the STI is built from the bottom up!

Tony

PS dont go back into "ive got a uk300 so lets have a meeting and leave everyone else out, thats not the point of this board, its the fact that we all own subaru's!!"
Old 14 September 2001, 06:46 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Tony

I agree with some of your points. My feeling is the UK300 is overpriced. As such they have not sold as quick as the other limited editions.

Would you still be tempted though if the base car without the Prodrive bits is £29,995 ?. That would be a lot of money over a std WRX with PPP. Its also a fact that there are a lot less customers willing to spend over £30k on a japanese express.

My big concern/fear is that the STI with PPP, 18" wheels, UK300 lights and other Prodrive styling will be £33,500.

Also remember that a proper EVO VII is on its way.

My dealer told me they would be in very limited numbers, and you cant go to Holland and order one. Still concerned though.

Jonathan

Who has his name down for one depending on price.
Old 14 September 2001, 09:56 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I cant see prodrive doing a performance pack on the sti. It is still an sti engine after all, and when faced with the P1, it was felt 280bhp was enough.

They have had to reduce power to 260 to get through emissions, surely type arroval would allow over 260, or they would have supplied it that way.

Saying that, I am sure type approval isnt considered, as all PPP cars are registered as non PPP and then converted.
Old 14 September 2001, 10:05 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Adam is right

The standard PPP removes the centre cat, which is used to pass the cold start emissions tests for type approval.

Therefore a PPP'd car cannot be sold as a new from the dealer model because it would fail the emissions section of the test. However by selling it as an add on it does'nt need to pass the above cold start emissions tests, therefore it can safely have the cat removed.

A PPP'd STi will not have to pass type approval as it's not a new, unique model. More like a modified one.

So far it's all going as per my theory.... The P2 will be a 280Bhp version of the Sti, with aftermarket mods from prodrive. By removing a cat or 2, tweeking the ECU the extra power can easily be regained. Just that they can't sell it as a new car, only a modified one.
Old 14 September 2001, 11:12 AM
Gareth Williams
Scooby Regular

Talking

So Jonathan (Chins) which one have you put your name down for...'proper' EVO 7 (presume you mean UK Ralliart car) or UK STi PPP at £30++...
Bye, bye M3 order??

Cheers,
Gareth.
Old 14 September 2001, 01:52 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

There is competition.

For those of us that can't afford either of them!

That's what I think.
Old 14 September 2001, 04:54 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Wink

2 bad the new euro STi is just about as quick as a stock old proper euro spec turbo.

According to early figures from Sport Auto (German mag) the STi needs 5.9 s to 60 mph.
I can't remember the 0-100 mph, but we're talking just a smidge faster than the old GT/Turbo 2000.

Maybe it could at least get the new scooby past the Clios in the frequent road test sections of our fav mags?

/J

[This message has been edited by SecretAgentMan (edited 14 September 2001).]