Pics from a wet Oulton Park

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2002, 09:39 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

If anyone has a pic of me I let me know

After being promised only a small chance of rain by a well respected weather forecaster called Chris King aka Mellow, I decided to get up extra early 5.45 to be at Oulton for the 8.30am drivers briefing. The further North I drove the blacker it got until the heavens well and truly opened.

After a few sighting laps out with Chris in his Cosworth it was then down to business in the 944. By this time it was raining even harder but I wasn't going to let that put me off. It did dry up a little before lunch (sausage, chips and beans) so I decided to stay out in case it rained again during lunch.

In the afternoon I went round with an instructor who just helped me with my lines a little bit, but it was pleasing to know I was not going that far wrong . A good day indeed, and actually very helpful for learning about my car.

Old 23 October 2002, 09:49 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

all the usual suspects....

and I was stuck at the motorshow....

simon
Old 24 October 2002, 11:09 AM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Here's a few more

More coming
Old 24 October 2002, 11:19 AM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Cool

And some

Old 24 October 2002, 11:26 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That sierra looks more menacing than mellow

Paul
Old 24 October 2002, 11:29 AM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Lol @ Paul.....

It was a fantastic day, mixture of weather but some good friends, banter and cars
Old 24 October 2002, 11:55 AM
CT9A
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Great photo's of a great day. Although the weather could have been better, a lot better we all enjoyed the 'challenge'.

Remarkable, how you managed to take a snap of Dale going the right way in the Mongoose car !!

Chris, will Graeme ever forgive you for breaking his gear lever ? You really do need a perverted sense of humour to wrestle those Euro cars round. Did you enjoy your couple of laps

Trending Topics

Old 24 October 2002, 12:04 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Si, the laps were great in your Yellow beastie .....however....the fact that I couldn't reach the peddles.....or the gear lever....or the steering wheel ...let alone just about being able to see over the damn thing may have been instrumental in my "breaking" the said part and only doing 2 laps.....Oh, yeah I forgot....who didn't tell us to use 1st and 2nd ? and we still bloody went sideways in 3rd and friggin 4th....I can still hear Andy howling now....tears streaming down his face....AND HE'S THE BL00DY INSTRUCTOR
Old 24 October 2002, 12:20 PM
KevanF
Scooby Newbie

Great day, the contrasting weather conditions made it even better as it was not to hard on the car, you could improve\test your driving skills as the circuit had vastly differing levels of grip. Thanks to Mellow for posting the note the day before about the event. I must say the track etiquette from all that attended was excellent, it was great to see the Caterams/Lotus on the limit in the wet, it does make you realise just how capable the Subaru/Cosworth is in the wet.

I was there in my Sti with PPP fitted last week, the difference it has made to the standard car absolutely shines through on the track, even Mellow commented on how quick the car was, we had some great fun out on the circuit, naturally Mellow was the quickest, but the Sti gave very respectable performance against the ‘Cozzie’. The major improvement is the ability to get the increased power & torque into the wheels at just over 3000rpm, the conditions yesterday were ideal for exploring the limits of the car without travelling at dry track speeds. Feeding in the additional power on the exit of some of the slower corners produced some awesome power slides in the damp. Mellow can vouch for this!

The only issue to be sorted now is the manic understeer, hopefully when Prodrive sign off the improved springs and I get the geometry sorted the situation will be much improved. If your getting or have Sti ppp get on a trackday to realise what you have actually purchased, Bedford on the 30/11 is the ideal venue as there is very little to bump into! Plus it’s a fantastic circuit.
Old 24 October 2002, 12:20 PM
CT9A
Scooby Newbie

So what are you saying Chris, you need a booster cushion, pedal extensions. Mate it makes no difference being able to reach the pedals, it still hates to stop.

A joking aside though, can't wait until the 8th Nov, back again. I know I need the practice !!
Old 24 October 2002, 12:25 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Looks like I missed a good day.

Whos was the MR2? Looks superb, and I could do with knowing what those alloys are
Old 24 October 2002, 01:02 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Kevan,

We had a scream following you through Knickerbrook chicane and out again....your powerslides were awesome mate...top driving in my book, I remembered your STi being quick before but yesterday it was mightily quick...watch out those going to Bedford....methinks you'll be one of the quickest there Kev

Si... you're right mate...the Eurocar is a proper tool....a proper drivers car...T'is why you and I can't bloody drive it eh

Simon (Dreamweaver) that MR2 Turbo was blisteringly quick....guess what his other exotica is.......... a GT3

You must come to the next Oulton Park event peeps....Friday November the 8th....open pit....and only £150 !! Go check out www.track-action.co.uk
Old 24 October 2002, 01:16 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

I though I was a bit of a hero when I over took the guy in the MR2, then in the pits I noticed he had road legal slicks on.......in the wet!
Old 24 October 2002, 01:42 PM
CT9A
Scooby Newbie

Chris, are you sure the Euro car is a proper tool ? Not you have to be a 'proper tool' to drive it ! Which brings me nicely on to.... Do you think Graeme would believe how relaxed we were in your cossie whilst filming him in the thing, can he not drive in a straight line...and he is the other instructor !!! Sorry Graeme
Old 24 October 2002, 01:42 PM
CT9A
Scooby Newbie

Chris, are you sure the Euro car is a proper tool ? Not you have to be a 'proper tool' to drive it ! Which brings me nicely on to.... Do you think Graeme would believe how relaxed we were in your cossie whilst filming him in the thing, can he not drive in a straight line...and he is the other instructor !!! Sorry Graeme
Old 24 October 2002, 02:17 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Lol... (laugh out loud si) @ Simon.....

We were relaxed weren't we....I'm that busy today I'm gonna watch the vid later this afternoon with a coffee and a few biccies

Graeme....bless his little cotton socks
Old 24 October 2002, 02:24 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Mellow

I would love to see that sierra in action Do you do any track days in the south of the country or midlands?

Paul
Old 24 October 2002, 03:20 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I think Mellow does ALL trackdays

Cant believe the MR2 was a turbo. How did he get on in the wet? Presume it has LSD/TC on?

I am still not confident yet even in my NA to push hard in the wet, every time I go round a bend I get visions of spinning, due to the hype built up over the years. Always had FWD though in the past.
Old 24 October 2002, 04:19 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Paul,

I'm at Donnington with the Lancer club on the 18th November and of course our own day at Bedford on the 30th Nov...

Till then my next outing will be Oulton Park on the 8th Nov.....

Need a little rest till then....I have done 6 in October already
Old 24 October 2002, 05:32 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Mellow

Any chance of a look and possibly a ride if I come and see you please?

Paul
Old 24 October 2002, 07:09 PM
S55DRJ
Scooby Regular

Question

Dont spose you got any pics of out lot, 22b, blue Lancia Stratos??
Old 24 October 2002, 11:05 PM
Welsh Dragon
Scooby Newbie

Hi Guys

Thanks for the pics

Simon hope you are coming on the 8th I have a booster seat for Mellow so he can reach the pedals.

The Euro car is totaly mad nothing like the EVO.
I can now slide even when not trying
It will not be a Mongoose car when you next see it should be fun

Dale

Old 24 October 2002, 11:12 PM
graeme instructor
Scooby Newbie

hI GUYS AS YOU CAN SEE IT TAKES A REAL MAN TO DRIVE A EUROCAR
CHRIS OBVIOUSLY FALLS INTO THE CATOGORY OF SITTING DOWN TO P--S WITH THE WOMEN ,HOPEFULLY ON THE 8TH OF NOV AT OULTON PARK WE COULD GIVE CHRIS SOME LESSONS IN DRIVING MENS CARS,SO HE WILL BE ABLE TO STAND UP WITH THE MEN.
IF THE WEATHER IS DRY I MIGHT BE ABLE TO SHOW SOME OF THE DOWTING THOMASES THAT YOU CANT BEAT CARBS & CC NO TURBOS
IT SHOULD BE A GOOD DAY RUN BY WWW.TRACK-ACTION.CO.UK SO GET BOOKED IN AND JOIN US AT OULTON ,SEE YOU THERE .GRAEME.
Old 25 October 2002, 09:48 AM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Cool

Lol @ Graeme.....

Methinks you feckin lot adjusted all the seating, belts, steering wheel etc....before I got in I felt like a 16yr old out on his 1st driving lesson !

Oh....by the way peeps.....did I mention it is left hand drive ? and due to an arm injury I am unable to fully extend my right arm, so gearchanging was hilarious !

But I ain't making excuses now....where's me knickers
Old 25 October 2002, 12:37 PM
Barry Stir
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

have you been scaring all those nice clean motor cars again mellow
Old 25 October 2002, 06:20 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Wink

You know me Baz
Old 25 October 2002, 09:48 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Top thread! and some good pics! just been talking to Graeme today, he said they euro jobbies were a handfull!

Mellow you must wear your stilletos, you might reach the pedals!

wish i could come to bedford to speccie as i wont have anything viable till next year.

i could bring my magical stop watch which always reads 1:38 LOL

glad you guys had atop day!

dale what happenned to that awesome EVO?

Lee