Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Euro STI a bit of a cop out?

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2001, 02:30 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondering what they've actually bothered to change apart from a different/remapped ECU for lower octane fuel?
The fact that it's got less power seems a bit of a cop out to me - the easy way out if you like. Surely it could have at least matched the imports power with a bit of tinkering, even on 97 RON? Maybe Subaru/Prodrive should speak to the makers of the Possum Link etc.
Don't know about the difference in price but if it's a few thousand more than the Jap STI the latter may be a far better buy...
Old 12 September 2001, 03:23 PM
Petoir
Scooby Regular

Long post and maybe boring to most:

No Surprises with the new STi for the following reasons from EU directives and policy.

Improving vehicle efficiency & safety
(Cars get heavier and slower)

Protecting the environment and climate
(More CAT CONV = slower)

Reducing emissions
(More CAT CONV = slower)

Several directives have been adopted at Community level in order to limit pollution due to transport, setting maximum emission limits for vehicles and other sources of pollution and introducing tax measures in the transport sector aimed at encouraging the consumer to act in a more environmentally friendly manner. (i.e catching the feckin bus!)

The new directive 98/70 reduces pollution emanating from car emissions by introducing new environmental specifications applicable to petrol and diesel fuels and it bans leaded petrol from the market from the year 2000. It also provides for progressive improvements in the environmental quality of unleaded petrol and diesel fuel.

Directive 91/441 particularly concerns passenger vehicles with a maximum capacity of six passengers and a maximum weight of 2500 kg and regulates both tailpipe emissions (including a durability test) and evaporative emissions. It was amended by Directive 94/12.

If Subaru want to retain high power outputs like the old STi and P1 then they may have to introduce some clever induction/exhaust systems - like those used by Ferrari....

The 360 Modena has a variable backpressure device in the exhaust system which is activated by a pair of electronically controlled valves in the outlets from the twin silencers. Below 2,800 rpm, these are closed to restrict drive-by noise levels and exhaust emissions and opened beyond 2,800 rpm to allow full gas flow and full power potential.

For what it's worth it matters not IMHO, because it's still a bug-eyed monstrosity that no amount of shelling out multiple £100 chunks for 3rd party retro fit max power light conversions and body kits can rectify. That's not meant as an attack on people's personal choice for buying a MY01 but after almost a year, I, and many, many other performance car enthusiasts I know find it impossible to take seriously as an agressive, stylised performance, turbo classic a la Quattro, Integrale, Impreza, Celica....
Old 12 September 2001, 03:45 PM
Web Guru
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>
For what it's worth it matters not IMHO, because it's still a bug-eyed monstrosity <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True!

Old 12 September 2001, 04:05 PM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

For what it's worth it matters not IMHO, because it's still a bug-eyed monstrosity that no amount of shelling out multiple £100 chunks for 3rd party retro fit max power light conversions and body kits can rectify. It`s impossible to take seriously as an agressive, stylised performance, turbo classic a la Quattro, Integrale, Impreza, Celica.... [/B][/QUOTE]

.......totally agree !!

Current Subaru ... P1 ... will be my last as even if the MY01 style is inherently stiffer and better handling nothing reallyyyyyyyyyyy compensates for those ?';,!@#$#$%% looks.

Cheers