Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

New UK WRX STi in Evo Mag

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2001, 02:53 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got my latest copy of Evo mag today and its got a small bit of info on the new UK STi.

says there will be 2 versions - a 'standard' and a 'Prodrive' ? Only lists that the Prodrive one as they've pictured is distinguished by 'a huge rear wing, newly designed sill spoilers and a deeper, squarer front bumper'

headlights are the same for both and are the black effect ones like the UK300.

Power output is down due to complying with various European TYpe Approval Regs

261bhp @ 6000rpm and 253ft torque @ 4000rpm (this it says is slightly less than the UK300!). It does state if these figures are based upon the use of SUL.

6 speed box which Evo say they liked when they tested an import STi although they state that 'you really needed to stir the box to stay in the power band'. Subaru have attempted to soften the 'frantic delivery of the STi and pump up the mid-range' - an area they say where the new WRX is weak compared to the old shape turbo.

It also got the manual water spray and the engine is said to be 80% new compared to the standard WRX unit. Clutch and brakes are also upgraded.

The chassis has stiffer bushes front and rear with a 'Suretrac' lsd in both axles and inverted suspension struts, WRC style. Subaru claim this gives 'superior geometry control and improved damping during hard driving'.

Available in the UK in Jan 2002 at around £29,000 with the Prodrrive version £1,500 extra. (although these are still not confirmed prices)

Anyone got anymore info from a dealer ? Especially with regard to the full differences between the standard and prodrive car ? Anyone ordering one ?

cheers

steve
Old 10 September 2001, 03:18 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Red face

Interesting - this info is embargoed until the afternoon of Tuesday 11th September after grand unveiling at the Frankfurt show!!

Trout
Old 10 September 2001, 03:19 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

I am holding a lot of candle for the STi as if its no good I will probably leave the scooby fold with my next motor.

It all sounds okay apart from BHP is a little disappointing. My big hope is that the new STI will cost closer to the UK300 than the P1.

Old 10 September 2001, 03:29 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Are we saying that the 261bhp is for the Standard STI7 or for the Prodrive one? If for Prodrive, then I am very disappointed with this news. I was hoping for a Prodrive version putting out around 300 horses. What about everyone else...

YS
Old 10 September 2001, 03:39 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Talking

Trout : it is ? then how come its in Evo mag today ?

Wilf : ditto - test driving a Evo 6 Mak tomorrow and waiting to try a 7 and see proper UK 7 prices.

YS : it does not go into enough detail about the differences between the 2 versions. Simply says the UK car will have 261 / 253. I would hope this means that both versions are the same power output and the differences are only cosmetic as mentioned in my posting ?

cheers

steve
Old 10 September 2001, 03:56 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

For £1.5k for the Prodrive version - dont expect much at all in terms of difference
Old 10 September 2001, 05:33 PM
Steve Breen
Scooby Regular

With respect to the price, the performance figures sound very close (more power less torque) to the UK300 with PPP which had a list price of £26,599.

STi vs UK300 PPP
261bhp @ 6000rpm vs 241bhp @ 5600 rpm
253lbft @ 4000rpm vs 261lbft @ 4000rpm

...but the UK300PPP is already in a state of tune, and the STi can be used as the basis of a bigger project.

The uprated suspension, 6 speed box, and the STi engine would sway me most times if the prices were even a couple of grand apart.

Steve
Old 10 September 2001, 05:43 PM
Blue
Scooby Regular

I fully agree with both Steves here.
The best option could be to get the STi, then put the Prodrive money towards a MoteC (or similar). 300bhp may be a lot closer.

Just got a couple of years to wait now
Old 10 September 2001, 07:21 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

with that sort of power it a long way short of the evo 7 which really defeats the object. If they could get 280bhp out of a p1 why not the sti7? as for £29,000 it seams a little steep.
Old 10 September 2001, 07:38 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

agree - power output is disappointing but don't forget this is to meet the new stiffer euro emissions tests - including cold start test - the P1 never had to meet these so could run less clean.

Enterprising folk will find a way to extract more boost and will surely rip the exhaust off pretty sharpish -

from what I have heard the turbo is the next thing to replace as it won't cope with higher boost - so not much scope past 300 BHP without major mods.

rumoured price is ambitiously high - so the euro importers will be rubbing their hands with glee.

Another dud from IM :-(

grey imports still look a much better proposition if you ask me - though new sva could prove a sticking point for them too.

Paul W
Old 10 September 2001, 07:40 PM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

Question

So what have warrander done to the STi7 to make it a reliable 320 bhp

I thought it was coming out at 276 bhp again but people were saying its more like 300 bhp
Everyone is advertising this sort of power!!

Darren
Old 10 September 2001, 07:50 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DARREN:
[B]So what have warrander done to the STi7 to make it a reliable 320 bhp

Warrander get the full full monty STI7 with full jap-spec(no eu regs). In standard form the 7 pushes out around 300bhp. I think that warranders 320 has got some HKS exhaust and filter mods

Scott

are you going to the halfway house thursday
Old 10 September 2001, 10:01 PM
GRANT
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have been looking around to replace my MY00 for delivery some time in December.
I had an hour spare on a business trip to Manchester last Friday so arranged for a test drive of an STI7 at Warrenders.

The guy who took me out was their delivery guy and decided an extended run was in order.
So off we went up into the hills.

Whilst as a passenger the ride was alot harsher tham my car (with Eibachs) once I took the drivers seat I hardly noticed it.

The car was fitted was fitted with a HKS system from the downpipe back and did make a great sound.
The car certainly seemed to feel alot more than 280bhp considering its 150kg heavier than mine and mine produces 276bhp.
The car really did pull well from 2000rpm I thought better thatn the Evo 7 I tried the week before.
The brakes pulled you up very nicley.
I did have one major problem with it, Warrenders had lowered the suspension and so had taken alot of travel out of the suspension.Once we were really gunning it over B roads it seemed to almost loose contact with the road ,its a funny sensation not that you felt that you were to going to loose control or that it couldn,t take the corner.Just that it had a nervous edge.

Hopefully this was just down to the ride height on this car.

No looking for a good price.

Grant
Old 11 September 2001, 03:09 AM
m ben
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Has anyone had either a grey STi or Evo7 on a dyno to compare with the quoted 276bhp vs. the seat-of-the-pants 300+ that has been mentioned ?? on a known set of rollers it would be interesting to see how it compares with previous STi's.

the AutoCar long term Evo7 from Ralliart with the Ti turbo is said to put out 300hp without further mods over the non-Ti turbo'ed grey cars (if you don't get the Ti spec'ed of course).

it has also been mentioned in other articles that the STi seems overly strong for it's rated 276hp, esp considering the acceleration times it has produced & the added weight over the old shape STi's.

I suspect that when(if) the STi makes it stateside we'll end up with something similar to the ~260 that you guys are apparently getting, esp as we have to deal with 3 catalysts.

as I'm high on dealer lists for both Evo & STi if they come here I guess I'll be able to choose which I want if any, but it'll be a while before I have to make any choices...

Ben
'99 M coupe - lease, going back next July
'88 M5 - being pressed back into daily driving service soon
'87 332iS (E30 w/E36 US M3 drivetrain) - track car
Old 11 September 2001, 05:29 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
So, is this thing likely to surpass the P1 as the ultimate home grown, off the shelf Scooby? And please, no 'but it's ugly' comments.
Old 11 September 2001, 07:14 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Do we all remeber how much power the grey import 22B was rumoured to have. Most figures varied between 310 & 350bhp. The dyno said 280 !!.

I suspect that a std grey import STI 7 will be 280 and no more. What are the differences between it and the engine in the STI 6 ?.

It will be interesting to see how much power the EVO 7 actually has as well when/if its put through type approval. Ralliart press cars cannont be used as a benchmark, as they like to tune them before the press get them. Always been interesting that EVO 6's from Grey Importers could not get near the times of a Ralliart car Ever notice the HKS exhaust system fitted to press cars !.

For the STI to sell and command a premium, it needs more power. I for one will not commit untill Prodrive guarantee the availability of a PPP for the car. As others have shown my UK300 already has more torque. It you did a dyno run untill 5.750rpm I would match the STI power wise, but my STI equalling torque would come in earlier. The only real advantage the STI has is the shorter gearing.

Just hope the guys at IM will use their head on the price.

Jonathan
Old 11 September 2001, 10:09 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Important to remember that the cars got full World emissions tests to cope with - so i reckon a PPP(if they ever make one this side of 2010 ) or full exhaust will make a hell of a difference. If the MY01 is anything to go on, look at 300bhp and 300lb .

Bet its strangled by the OEM exhaust to meet the regs.

Jza