Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1 engine blow up

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2002, 10:21 PM
andrew h
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My P1 put a rod through the block 3 weeks ago, has this happened to anyone else, my dealer said there were 3 other P1's waiting for the same parts from Japan namely block pistons heads conrods.
Apparently subaru japan won't send complete engines the dealer has to order the parts and build the engine up.
Lets hope my dealer has someone with engine building experience.
It will be straight on the rollers when run in to make sure its giving full power.
Although at this rate 23 days in and no parts it could be a long wait
Andy
Old 16 October 2002, 10:28 PM
ADY 555 !
Scooby Regular

Question

Ooops, Sorry to hear that because i was thinking of getting a P1 next, just out of intrest what mileage/spec is it without giving too much away. Cheers Ady.
Old 16 October 2002, 10:30 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Quite a few engine failure of all models, down to many reasons, run 95 RON fuel/detting (mainly on imports), turning the boost up too much, MAF failures, sustained maximum speeds/heat, oil and 10000 other reasons, including just one of those things. Sorry to hear about yours and hope they fix it okay.

Cheers

ChrisP

[Edited by chrisp - 10/16/2002 10:32:09 PM]
Old 16 October 2002, 10:30 PM
NINJA
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

is it a standard p1 and were u driving "normal" or on the edge
Old 16 October 2002, 10:45 PM
Glenn_R
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry 2 hear that m8. I'm assuming all is covered in warranty?

As a matter of interest were there any warning signs or did it just go?
Old 16 October 2002, 10:50 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Sounds like the dreaded Subaru engine syndrome has struck again
I take it you were running the car on super unleaded fuel at the time?

Tony

[Edited by TonyBurns - 10/17/2002 10:22:19 AM]
Old 16 October 2002, 10:57 PM
NINJA
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

when i picked up my p1 from dealer he said super unleaded is best but normal unleaded is ok just not as powerful..lucky i only followed this advice for a couple of weeks
Old 16 October 2002, 10:59 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Someone posted this in anther thread with the warning in the handbook about running P1's on SUL only....

Tony
Old 16 October 2002, 11:02 PM
andrew h
Scooby Regular

Superunleaded at all times.It happened outside the kids school at about 20mph. the car has a full decat at the moment.
Cheers Andy
Old 16 October 2002, 11:04 PM
Otis
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't worry too much. My MY00 has had a new block to cure what eventually turned out to be a noisy servo . Pulleyns in York did the job and spent over two weeks on it, a significant proportion of which was spent on the heads and seating the valves correctly. Now goes like a ****ing missile .

Don't ever want to part with it. PPP goes on it next week.

Otis.
Old 16 October 2002, 11:06 PM
NINJA
Scooby Regular

these engines seem fine until u start doing 130-155 and then lift off.best not to get too carried away with ur right foot.all the horror stories seem to happen after sustained high rpm/oil temp.best to get mega guages to keep an eye on things.oil temp/pressure/egt/water/boost/knocklink/afr plus keep an eye on the road
Old 16 October 2002, 11:07 PM
andrew h
Scooby Regular

The car had done 16000 and is 18 months old
Andy
Old 16 October 2002, 11:09 PM
NINJA
Scooby Regular

andrew were u the first owner or had it maybe been weakened at an earlier stage.was it standard(mail me offline if u want)
Old 16 October 2002, 11:15 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
hmmm, my one has done 14k, 15 months old, has a full decat and is given a right caning all the time.........

What did the garage say about the de cat?
Old 16 October 2002, 11:19 PM
andrew h
Scooby Regular

I am the first owner.
The decat was not mentioned by the dealer
Andy
NINJA
Scooby Regular

Cool

that should go down well in an advert when u want to sell it
co55ie
Scooby Regular

Out of interest what do Subaru fit to the higher performance 280 bhp engines to aid them to breath better in the oil dept ?
Old 16 October 2002, 11:21 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

I am no expert at all but I think I'd be looking at the full decat as the first suspect in this particular investigation
I think the map runs lean in some areas anyway - were you using octane booster? Decatting will just exacerbate any mixture probs if you weren't...

Can't find the post but I seem remember Mr Wood from Prodrive suggesting that a decat was probably a fairly daft thing to do without a fairly extensive safety net (knocklink/remap) or even at all.

That's why I sold off the decat downpipe off my MY00 rather than risk sticking it on my P1 for the sake a little extra whoosh

Surprised Subaru are even considering the work under warranty (if they are) with a full decat on....good on ya if they are tho'
Old 16 October 2002, 11:27 PM
NINJA
Scooby Regular

full decat will only lean it out slightly mine was checked on a rolling road and fuelling was spot on..at 20mph its a disgrace does this happen to lancers etc or is it that the scooby is jinxed
Old 16 October 2002, 11:36 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Arrow

Tony, please refrain from posting things like "the dreaded STi5 failure" It is no more common than any other version of Impreza engine. UK's, WRX's, STi typeUK, STi 1-6, P1, they are all suseptable to engine failure.

There are a hundred and one reasons why these engines fail, it's not very smart to speculate on what caused the failure.

The main issues i see on the Impreza range are Fuel surge (the tank design is poor), low viscosity oil for a turbo engine if driven hard, MAF sensor failure, Running a decat system without remapping/checking, det due to runing 95RON, a bad batch of fuel etc etc etc

It shouldnt take too long to get parts from japan as long as the dealer knows what he is talking about and knows what to order, 3-4 days should be all that is required to get it here.
Old 16 October 2002, 11:40 PM
kwiky
Scooby Regular

Wink

My P1 has just touched 40k on engine no1 but while in for 37.500 service i was told of a P1 that took out the engine on a track day.
yes it get's a seeing too when i drive it 70mph max (only when it's safe) enjoy it when it comes back at least you know it's good for another 16k
Old 16 October 2002, 11:54 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

This thread discusses decats and lean spots in the P1 map. Not suggesting that this is what definitely caused the death of your engine but I'd be inclined to believe the opinion of a) the man from Prodrive who put the thing together and b) the man from Scotland who has mapped several of 'em too.

What is the dealer saying as a possible cause?
Old 17 October 2002, 07:17 AM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

JOHN FELSTEAD Please refrain from mentioning STi 7 Type UK's when talking about blown up engines. I don't know of one that has gone, do you ? Are you touchy because you own a STI 5 ??
Stop using your moderator status to your own benefit we all know there is a problem with Scooby's blowing up at high speed.Especially imports !!

[Edited by Sideways - 10/17/2002 7:19:32 AM]
Old 17 October 2002, 08:35 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Sideways, what John actually said was
Tony, please refrain from posting things like "the dreaded STi5 failure" It is no more common than any other version of Impreza engine. UK's, WRX's, STi typeUK, STi 1-6, P1, they are all suseptable to engine failure.
Seems to me that he was talking about every sort of impreza, not singling out STI-7's

I've heard of two STi7 engine failures. One was because someone put it into second at 90Mph, instead of 4th and the engine went boom(not surprising. That'd be over 14000rpm) and not the engines fault. And I've heard of one other were the engine was not run in properly.

Let's get back on track, and not diverted away from suggesting why this P1's engine went.
Old 17 October 2002, 08:53 AM
P1 Enthusiast
Scooby Regular

Well i just had the worst day of my life this year anyway!!

Woke up to some drunk booting my car for no reason, needs a new panel now since its a right dink, police won't prosecute him due to only one witness (me), versus his and his mate's denials!!

Then after some spirited driving on a dual carriageway with another scoob, my big end on the P1 went, phoned a quick ring round of the dealers i know are good, Listers had 2 P1s in already for big ends, another dealer had one in, the dealer i went to had just finished rebuilding one and has another due in plus mine!! :O :O

So that 6 P1s in last 3 months for those 3 dealers, not good.

Conditions mine let go in was;

* Optimax only for last 12 mths.
* 37,000 on clock
* Dual carriageway with hard working of engine and lift off at high speed, about 5 mins after i slowed down to normal speeds the engine went.

Anyway Subaru have been fantastic, but 6 out of 1000 just for big ends doesnt seem impressive!
Old 17 October 2002, 09:01 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Sideways,

no offence mate, but I think you are jumping to conclusions by saying that john is using his moderator status to vent his opinions.

I guarantee if you took his status away he still would have said exactly the same thing, and frankly I would agree.

Having been on this board for some time, you get to know those people who know what they are talking about and those people who profess to.

John is certainly one of the former, so I would tend to listen to him.

It doesnt stop me from questioning his actions (eg. dont agree with his anti fuel surge purchase) but in this case I think he is bang on.

and tony, the dreaded sti 5 failure was documented in the past before people noticed the other engines letting go. These went due to melted pistons as they were more fuelling specific than other models, but there failure was certainly no more common, only more publicly reported.
Old 17 October 2002, 09:06 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I'd be interested to know if the warranty claim is honoured due to the De-Cat exhaust being fitted.
Old 17 October 2002, 09:34 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

So long as the repairing dealer is "ok" about the de cat, and does not tell "IMUK" then no probs, its if they find out, things hit the proverbial "fan".
But, regarding the engine, Subaru Japan, as far as I'm aware, wont let out fully built P1 engines to dealers/Im anymore, they will only supply it in component pieces and let the poor dealer rebuild it, so at least, if the guy with the spanners is any good, it should be as good as, if not better than a "line produced" engine, that has time limits on how long it takes to put together.
Old 17 October 2002, 09:39 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Dual carriageway with hard working of engine and lift off at high speed, about 5 mins after i slowed down to normal speeds the engine went.
This seems to be a common factor in a lot of Impreza engine failures. There was a classic post going into this in great detail in the drivetrain forum

This is the one, I think http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/Forum9/HTML/002503.html
Old 17 October 2002, 10:01 AM
NINJA
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

i think i have sussed how to have trouble free motoring.buy high perf car change oil weekly never rev above 1500 run 0.1bar boost have 3 cats and keep the car in the drive...i have never heard of so many probs with a car that is meant to be driven hard but fails so often.very wary of long term ownership of a scoob.looks like u are almost guaranteed of a problem at some point.seems best thing to do is rebuild engine with non subaru parts.ie cossie pistons/arrow rods modded crank/closed deck block only prob is the 5-6k needed to rebuild

Quick Reply: P1 engine blow up