Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rant over "Ugly"

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2002, 09:08 PM
MowbrayWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the double post, but I do need to get this off my chest.

I really need to rant now.

I get sick and fed up with people going on about how bad the bugeye is, some of whom have probably never even sat in one never mind driven one.
I brought a new WRX (5 door) last year, and I can assure you that It does not bother me that I am not driving a so called "CLASSIC SHAPE" (some peple on here think that they are the only Scoobies around worth driving).
People will buy what they want, I personally have no problems with the new MY03 front end, If you want to buy a new one it comes as a package you know?.
Lets all enjoy our cars for what they are, I am sure I am as proud of my so called ugly car has any P1 , STi driver is of theirs.

The Impreza is a fine car, what ever shape its headlights are. Lets enjoy what we have and stop moaning about how it looks.

Rant over, I`ll get my coat.

Now that feels better

Tony

Old 15 October 2002, 09:21 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Mowbray,

Believe it or not I'm with you on this one. There was a thread up recently slagging off the bugeye and I responded by reminding people that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people who own bugeyes have worked damned hard to earn the money to buy them, so they must get really pi$$d off when someone who may not even own a car slags their pride and joy off.

I would love to walk up to some of these blokes and say "Oi, your missus is ******* ugly" and see how they like it. Oh, and as a brown belt, they would get no chance at a comeback!

Enjoy your car.
Old 15 October 2002, 09:28 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

I am with you on this guys. It makes me laugh when you see piccies in the members gallery of guys who have spent lots of money changing the headlights/front lips and spoilers of their MY01+s to an extent where they destroy every single 'classic' subaru in the looks department yet you still get some numpty posting 'Its still ugly'.

ROFL !!

[Edited by Ru$$Rip - 10/15/2002 9:29:18 PM]
Old 15 October 2002, 09:38 PM
STi go fast
Scooby Regular

give up, i have been posting this since they came out and i bought one. half the ppl who hated them then now like them (mainly because ppl on here who have an unhealthy amount of brown nose recivership said they liked them and the sheep followed) and the other half never will.

the funny thing is the guys in more expensive cars can say what they like i suppose but half the comments come from people dragging their backside around in an old car thats now worth boy racer money and the only shoult UGLY or CLASSIC in a desperate attempt to regain some self respect.

T
Old 15 October 2002, 09:41 PM
Turkish1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I`ve got a `classic` my96 5 door and love the look on my car but I also like the bug eye and the new shape my03. To me an Impreza is an Impreza, one of the finest driving cars on the road today (within a budget) IMHO of course

Turkish1
Old 15 October 2002, 09:48 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Turkish,

Too true, something some lose sight of.
Old 15 October 2002, 09:57 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

My STi Type UK is soooo ugly, it never gets any nice comments from total strangers, never gets pointed at in the street and I can't wait to sell it and get a pretty car.
Old 15 October 2002, 10:20 PM
MoonCat
Scooby Regular

I was not to keen on the new Scoobys when I first saw them, but the after driving one was converted.
Yes I like my cars to look nice but the driving part is far more important to me !

Go Go Bugeye

Oh and I used to own a 309GTi which was also classed as ugly !
Old 15 October 2002, 11:07 PM
Andy-pay
Scooby Regular

seems to me that most people on here prefer to slag the bug-eye off than praise its good points - and it has alot of them.

I fear that anyone not an Impreza owner but looking for a nearly new/new car would be put off ownership by all the 'enthusiasts' killing off the bug-eye.

I do 20,000miles a year and needed a nearly new car with some comfort for the family - and the bug eye won!

and it still gets loads of comments from strangers in car parks/petrol stations, who just want to chat about 'whats it like' etc, kids in street coming over for an ogle etc so it must be doing something right!
Old 15 October 2002, 11:09 PM
Andy-pay
Scooby Regular

oops - keep doing that (hitting submit twice)!

[Edited by Andy-pay - 10/15/2002 11:10:06 PM]
Old 15 October 2002, 11:13 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Talking

lmao Big Goon!
Old 15 October 2002, 11:17 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Red face

The value of the Bug-Eye is going to drop faster than a ****** Knickers on Pay-Day!!

So? What have you got? A car as ugly as a Scorpio - with the value of a Beige Marina with Brown Cloth Trim!!

Sorry, you are driving a PUP!!!

IMHO of course!

Pete
Old 15 October 2002, 11:29 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Pete strikes again LOL. Sure to rattle a few cages.

Personally the Bug has grown on me. Hated at first but now don't mind it too much. I still prefer my "classic" 96 but that's my choice and financial choice.

Buy what you like not what everyone thinks you should like.

Alot of people have told me that the "classic" is ugly and bland. I think it's discreet aggressive, and love the rear of the car.
Pay's your money.......

P.
Old 16 October 2002, 12:27 AM
Fullonloon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Don't need to sit in it or drive it.

Just looking at it gives me the *******.
Old 16 October 2002, 12:54 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Pete,
I actauly hated the bugeye when it first came out. I swore if had to buy one I'd do the same as the Indian bloke in the Peugot Ad
That was till I actaully drove the STi7 I bought it Was going to change the lights for Morrettes the STi7 lights a brill better than my **** poor MY99's and it's got GOLD WHEELS
Classic by terminology means out of date time to move on sell the model 'T' Ford and buy a modern car

Tony

300hp Prodrive STi7 UK PPP'd WR Blue and gold wheels
Old 16 October 2002, 08:30 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
I think the 'Classic' should from now on be refered to as the 'Common'. It's the 'Bugeye' that will be the 'Classic' in years to come. It makes sence, the 'Old' shape is now so like muck I've had to give up waving due to RSI.

All IMHO of course
Old 16 October 2002, 08:48 AM
STi go fast
Scooby Regular

the term classic is a joke in this sense. you could describe the old imprezza as a classic car but you cant pick out an individual vehicle and say "this is classic".

while the car in its era may have excelled the car in the hands of the oik who got it out of the trader for £6k cause he is moving up from an XR31 is just another old car.

T

ps- pete, for a high earner you moan a lot about residuals...who cares? its a car not an ISA.
Old 16 October 2002, 10:47 AM
Denzil_Dog
Scooby Regular

hated it when it was prototype

hated it when it went in to production

still hate it now

it is better in every other aspect though, well execpt performance and looks...... (hey...arent they the main reasons why peolpe buy this type of car in the first place )

ALL MY OPINION OF COURSE !
(without your own opinion you are no-one)

[Edited by Denzil_Dog - 10/16/2002 10:48:10 AM]
Old 16 October 2002, 10:48 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

What a great thread this is, so many hypocritical replies too, I love it.

So us "Classic" owners aren't allowed to slag off your "New-Age" because it's a personal choice, but clearly you "New-Age" owners feel it's OK to slag off the "Classic's" for being old or cheap or having a boy racer image.

Let me put it this way, if I wanted a "New-Age" Impreza I could have one. Personally, I think they look embarrasingly bad as standard and I'll be buggered if I ever buy a car where I have to spend a small fortune on making it look halfway decent.

In my opinion, they lack the aggressive looks of the "Classic" and look too much like other, cheaper Asian cars. In fact, while Denzil_Dog and myself were driving home behind a "New-Age" we were discusing ho bad they look, only to realise the car we'd been slagging off was a Proton Persona.
Old 16 October 2002, 10:52 AM
TomM
Scooby Regular

If your not botherd then why get upset?

Let people think and say what they want, as you say - you like it so who cares!!

Ps - well said Rev!!!

Oh, and Iam not doubting the Bug Eye but it is a FUGLY car,no two ways about it, when people refer to the "classic" they are saying this as they rate it over the new look which to be honest dissapointed me. I was excited to see the new Impreza and the bug eye rolled out, I never wanted one Impreza after that - Just MHO of course

[Edited by TomM - 10/16/2002 10:58:08 AM]
Old 16 October 2002, 10:53 AM
STi go fast
Scooby Regular

Let me put it this way, if I wanted a "classic" Impreza I could have five. Personally, I think they look like an old car more suited to dixons car park on a saturday night and I'll be buggered if I ever buy a car where I have to spend a small fortune on making it look like it was designed this side of the millenium.
Old 16 October 2002, 11:01 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

you forgot to add "IMHO" and besides, I'd have you in the twisties
Old 16 October 2002, 11:05 AM
Jon1T
Scooby Regular

hmmm...how about splitting scoobynet into 'scoobynet classic' and 'scoobynet bugeye'.

The bugeye's grown on me, to the extent I prefer the original looks of mine to the morette conversions (tho the sti lights look good)- but I still think the best looking scoob is the 5dr 99MY + in silver.

We all know ppl like pslewis are having a laugh - if bugeyes depreciate it has a knock-on effect on the classic shapes...

Old 16 October 2002, 11:09 AM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

The only thing I can possibly add, as someone who very much dislikes the look of the bug eye, is that even Subaru dont like the look, hence a completely redisgned new front after a very short period of the car being on sale.
Says a lot that, and kind of backs up any people who knock em.

But, as has been repeatedly said, beauty, eye, beholder etc, if you like the look, then cool, but you may be attributed with having bad taste, same as if you drove past a house someone had painted lumo purple, you'd probably assume they had no taste whatsoever, it just stands that most people will think the same of you for making that choice of car.

Fact of life really, but more important fact of life is that if you're happy, thats all that matters, so enjoy your pig ugly cars
Old 16 October 2002, 12:37 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

The only thing I can possibly add, as someone who very much dislikes the look of the bug eye, is that even Subaru dont like the look, hence a completely redisgned new front after a very short period of the car being on sale.
Says a lot that, and kind of backs up any people who knock em.
It's not that Subaru didn't 'like' it, it's the fact that they were losing sales, hence the re-designed front end. The MY03 is a reaction to the demand of the car buying public. No doubt when they saw that a high percentage of MY01/02 owners were going for the Morette headlamp conversion they must've thought 'err.. maybe they don't like the headlights lads, shall we change em ?'

Old 16 October 2002, 12:50 PM
navigator
Scooby Regular

read today that subaru sell 2000 wrx's a month in the usa.(3000? forresters a mth too) Wonder how many wrx/sti's they sell in the uk?
Point is the new shape was designed for a world market not just Uk.
The car industry is fast becoming a fashion industry and redesign/ spin offs are becoming more frequent.
the 03 too me is just a tweak acosmetic change not a real upgrade.
I have got to like my bug eye. i liked my 98 too but the bug eye is a better car to drive in my view,its moved on.But i still love to see the old style scoobs too.
Vive la difference.
Old 16 October 2002, 01:12 PM
RichieB
Scooby Regular

Cool

These threads are just a joke....there is no point here at all....nothing is ever resolved !!!!! So just forget it.

ps..Classic drivers are all sad g*ts
Old 16 October 2002, 01:15 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I will not rest until every bug-eye owner sells their car and buys a classic [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 16 October 2002, 01:18 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

ps..Classic drivers are all sad g*ts
Correction all impreza drivers are but classic owners are quicker
Old 16 October 2002, 01:39 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Classic thread!

Let me put it this way, if I wanted a bug-eyed FUGLY, I could have ten. I didn't, which is why I bought a low-km MY99 last year and subsequently had it Tek3'd.

Whilst MY03 looks to be a significent improvement in pictures, if it is another bloat-wagon like fugly (158bhp per tonne), I won't be wanting that either, even though I could have ten if I wanted to!

Suresh

Quick Reply: Rant over "Ugly"