Sponsored by:

When did everyone become so kin arsey?

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2002, 02:59 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I've been on Scoobynet for over 2 years now, and have watched it change, develop and increase in popularity, and have also watched members come and go.

Many of them have become good friends, some customers, some suppliers, and I have really enjoyed the new experiences that have opened up to me, including trackdays, banger racing , going on meets, and starting my business up.

Once of a day you could come on Scoobynet, and tell everyone your triumphs and disasters, and you would get patted on the back or supported, whether you had just got married, or lost your job. When I had problems with my last employer, everyone here was great, and with my experience in the web design business, all the members motivated me enough to go it alone. So far it has been successful, but sometimes people here make you question what you do, and wonder whether you should chuck the towel in. As a certain well respected member once said - "damned if you do, damned if you dont".

Back then, the camaradarie was great, and everyone got along.

So when did all the tossers turn up? [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

We had an interesting thread yesterday/today, which was comical at first with MarkO and his letters. But then seemingly it turned into a slagfest, with idiots like beastman666 throwing his 2p worth in, with no information or facts to back anything up. And having seen his other contributions, his sole purpose in life seems to be to put others down. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I enjoy MarkO's threads, and like a bit of banter with him, so am glad to see his account re-instated, but what is it with some of the others?

I found Beastmans comments offensive, and seem to spend more and more of my time defending what I do for a living. It is hard enough as it is to throw in a very well paid job, and start on your own without comments coming at you seemingly from nowhere, and usually from people that consider themselves "experts" (but can never back it up with examples).

So to all the elitist ones here, and especially the ones in my line of work, take the staples out of your IT Diplomas, then shove them. I have worked hard for 5 years now in the web design industry, and though I dont have an official design degree, I enjoy what I do, and believe in what I have to offer, and know of many more who started out like me - Hillman Curtis (HC)included.

I am going to step back from the BBS for a while, as I dont like what has happened to it recently, and would like to concentrate more on my future and my family. Life is far too short to be put down by people that are jealous of what you do in life, and have nothing positive to say to anyone. To quote the film Grand Canyon "The world wasn't supposed to be like this"

I'm too busy to argue with people hiding behind computer screens with empty profiles.

I just hope for everyones sake, that SDB is not feeling the same way (though I'm sure he probably is today) or the BBS could go as well.

Rant over
Cya soon
Old 15 October 2002, 03:03 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dont take it personally...

You off to well lane??

David
Old 15 October 2002, 03:05 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

Its not just Scoobynet, I came here in salvation from another site that went the same way!!

Ignore the ***** and carry on with the "normal" peeps!!
Old 15 October 2002, 03:09 PM
bros2
Scooby Regular

DW

I did the same about 2 years ago. Didn't like the slagging that non-Impreza drivers (esp BMW drivers) were getting.

Then I thought about it and came back. I take the **** out of people from time to time, but generally stay out of web-conflict, cos there's no winning with some of the trolls.

Ignore them, they'll go away. And don't take it personally - you've never met these people, and you probably never will. Sod 'em.

But don't leave, otherwise they've won.

bros
Old 15 October 2002, 03:12 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

DW

Don't go(I may have some work for you...)
What has happend is that scoobynet has got bigger and has now 18,000+ users. Now if only half of them actually post that's still 9000 people using the BBS. That's the size of a small town

Of those 9000 most will be wonderful people, but a few will be louts, a few will be crooks and a few will be complete morons.

Two years ago Scoobynet had 4000 or less people, so the number of louts, crooks and morons were a lot less.

Personally, I focus on the wonderful people and what they bring to the community, as for the louts, crooks and morons I get to vape them ; which is nice .

It seems as though louts, crooks and morons are taking over, but that's far from the truth. Browse though some of the forums and you'll see people getting help and support from any subject from obscure computing questions to buy to rent and tax relief.

In my position as a moderator I have to read lots of threads from many forums, and I get to see the good stuff that goes on; not just the bad. To my mind, at the moment the good stuff far outweighs the bad.

Edit
Just took 5 mins going through most forums and picked a thread at random on page 1
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=139172
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=140822
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=140922
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=139905
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=140637
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=140221
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=139702
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=140504
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=140690
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=139422

QED

In any town you'll always get louts,crooks and morons; but you either give into them and move or you dig in and decide to make the place where you live a better place.

I hope you and anyone else thinking the same choose the latter, because if we all go then the 'town' that is scoobynet will become the haven for louts,crooks and morons.

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 10/15/2002 3:24:40 PM]
Old 15 October 2002, 03:14 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I was surprised that no-one on the locked thread mentioned beastman666's comments. For some reason he seems to have a serious downer on you
Old 15 October 2002, 03:15 PM
ice man
Scooby Regular

I have to say I do agree with DW, this BBS is getting worse by the day, shame cos it can be a great site.
I've stopped coming on here as much as I used to
Old 15 October 2002, 03:15 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Why does anybody who gets fed up with Scoobynet (we've all been there) feel the need to tell people they're fecking off for a few weeks. Its not like its going to make a difference in the slightest. People always come back. There's a list somewhere.

Deano

Old 15 October 2002, 03:17 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

It seems to me the only reason these ***** come here and register under a name that can not be traced and spout cr4p and insult people is because:

1) they can and nobody knows who they are
2) because people on here are far to sensitive, uptight and react to the baiting.

If people stopped getting upset and defensive when someone has a crack at them, like bros2 says if you ignore them they will get bored and go away. There used to be a sying when I was a kid "Sticks and stones can break my bones but names can never hurt me" maybe if more people on here used this there would be less stress and tension on here.

Just my 2cents worth.
Old 15 October 2002, 03:26 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Deano

I aint disappearing, you dont get rid of me that easily. Just have to sort my priorities out for the next week or 2. I will always be here, and agree with you on the people that post saying "I am leaving" Im NOT posting for that reason. Just wanted to rant about how arsey everyone has got recently, and felt agrieved a bit.

Everyone should just relax, and focus on why we are here - a love of performance cars (especially Subaru ).

All the "mines faster" crap, and "How can I stop boy racers" all of that is just nonsense. On the other hand who am I or anyone to say what we should post about.

Carl - maybe he cant get a job after design school or something
Old 15 October 2002, 03:28 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Couldn't agree more. I think DW's being a bit over-sensitive and melodramatic here about what is, frankly, a bit of average trolling.

I mean, beastman666 clearly is a complete amateur, as he didn't even manage to get his account locked!

DW, don't take it personally, don't leave. Either ignore the idiots (like me ) or give as good as you get. When push comes to shove, it's all good clean fun - and there are far worse things happening in the world (e.g., you could be filling the scoob up with petrol in the US and have some loony Unreal Tournament real-life camper taking you out with a headshot, FFS!!!! ).
Old 15 October 2002, 03:32 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Moi - melodramatic - never

I dont mind banter, especially with you Mark, or Tiggs or Banshi, but not too keen on people making assumptions and comments out of thin air, especially as I do have a business/work reputation to uphold. Obviously something behind it all - personally i think Beastman is Damaja/Blow Dog in disguise
Old 15 October 2002, 03:33 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

PS Mark I take 'everything' personally - one of my poorer traits im afraid
Old 15 October 2002, 04:02 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Hmm.
I think not.
I never have nor will I ever use an alias.

Cem
Old 15 October 2002, 04:03 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Teasing on/
So Blow dog is your real name
/Teasing off
Old 15 October 2002, 04:10 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hence the three winks Cem
Old 15 October 2002, 04:15 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

I don't know whether its an alias or not but Cem can't spell to save his life

Old 15 October 2002, 04:19 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Of those 9000 most will be wonderful people, but a few will be louts, a few will be crooks and a few will be complete morons
Neil

You hit the nail on the head, nearly. Are you sure 'most' will be wonderfull people

David

Old 15 October 2002, 04:24 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

I enjoyed me run in with MarkO

Bldy pop idols

Mikey
Old 15 October 2002, 04:24 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I have to agree that the board - no not the board just general - has seemed to take a bit of a negative slant.

The more tekie slots remain very useful and are clear of a lot of the "slagg off" style threads.

Having said that when I first used the BBS nearly two years ago there were still "the bbs ain't what it used to be" threads around.

My advise, sit back take a chill pill and pick the items that sound a bit more constructive

Ian

ps hope that ramble makes a bit of sense
Old 15 October 2002, 04:34 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just ignore the idiots posts, it's been p155ing me off too for the last 6 months or so.........

but then you'll be ignoring this post if you follow that advice!!!!
Old 15 October 2002, 04:43 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thankfully, I've got my old ID back, which enables me to say....

...there have been "it ain't what it used to be" posts on SN since early 1999, and possibly earlier than that.

Gridlock Mikey - you never did give me your postal address for that CD of Hear'say, LibertyX, Darius and Sara Whatmore MP3s that you asked me for in that off-BBS email.
Old 15 October 2002, 04:55 PM
peelo
Scooby Regular

I came here because some of the other forums I frequent have become more unpleasant. Don't get me wrong, I love a good debate, but hate rude people whether they be on the net or in person. I think size of membership and whether or not peopler ever want to meet up has a lot to do with it.

I spend a lot of time at New Beetle dot org and that is busy enough to be interesting and small enough to be friendly & helpful, with little or no unpleasentness and lots of people know each other or get to know each other. But Volkszone which is one of the biggest & friendliest car forums has, at times, similar problems to those mention in the original post in regard to this forum, you just get ***** who don't get it.
Old 15 October 2002, 05:00 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I hve noticed more n more pepl typin like a txt mssg, gets rite on my ****!
Old 15 October 2002, 05:06 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

I knw wat u mean.
Old 15 October 2002, 05:07 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Serious thread chaps. we dnt wnt 2 mpptse it.
Old 15 October 2002, 05:08 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

Sorry
Old 15 October 2002, 05:18 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

Serious thread chaps. we dnt wnt 2 mpptse it.
Watch it Neil or you will be responsible for having the thread Muppetised

Matt
Old 15 October 2002, 05:24 PM
co55ie
Scooby Regular

Talking

And nobody's mentioned me.
A good bit of banter never did anyone any harm and it makes things far more fun and interesting than where can I get a pink badge from for my scooby.
I do like scoobs, evo's really and may well buy one of these things inthe very near future but can't believe how some people seem to get so elitist when they suddenly get behind the wheel of a scoob. Anyone would think were talking about bentleys or something
Old 15 October 2002, 05:35 PM
The TunnelMeister
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hhmmmmmm....

Would that be Q.E.D. ?

TTM

Quick Reply: When did everyone become so kin arsey?