Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

snake pass

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2001, 08:25 PM
simonma
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it me or has snake pass had some cheap (dangerous) road repairs?

Granted - It's been a while since I've driven through it, but I purposely drove the route today, fist time in the Scooby. I was horrified at dodgy repairs just before sharp turns.

I was driving quickly but sensibly and got caught out twice. Basically it appears new tarmac has been laid to repair the road which forms a bump just before a couple of curves. This knackers breaking. Rather than a controlled leasurely breaking session I had to slam the anchors and power through. Made the heart race.

Ok I'm not the best driver. But I was really enjoying the drive up until that point!!

Any one else experienced this?

Reason it pi**es me off. I got caught out the same way a few years ago on a bike and got hurt.
Old 04 September 2001, 10:50 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

The only thing that i find wrong with the snake pass is that fact that artics are now using it and meeting one halfway across your lane when they come round the corner is a bit off putting as for the cheap repairs.... you talking about the ones when you come up from Glossop? hit the left hander? if you go for it the car does jump a little but she goes through them quite well but i find that the most dangerous corner is actually the one towards the Sheffield end, it has adverse chamber so going round the right hander puts you too much towards the grass always slow for that one now
Those sheep are a bugger too, you have to miss the little g1ts as they occasionally find their way onto the road, just round one of the nice corners you fly round Mutton stew anyone??

Tony
Old 05 September 2001, 02:16 AM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

I think you will find that the Snake Pass, like many roads in the area, suffers from severe geological faults which keep moving the road and require 'quick' repairs

the bright side is the road is never the same (unless you drive it every day)

you should be thankful it is still open, just look at Mam Tor!!!!! road, WHAT ROAD?

<I> it is the same series of faults which affect ALL roads up there</I>

Chris

Old 05 September 2001, 08:56 AM
bdrought
Scooby Regular

Some of the bumps mid corner are seriously upsetting in an Elise...really really scary!

Bri
Old 05 September 2001, 06:13 PM
alexf
Scooby Regular

Be VERY careful when driving in the Glossop area - my boss lives there and has seen a significant increase in the use of unmarked cars and bikes plus the local police sometimes use a spotter plane