Sponsored by:

Autocar test Evo 7 is Kicking arse!

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2001, 10:23 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

What have you all got to say about the perfomance of the uk300 in the test, not a lot i guess.
As for the 7 well " It is a paragon of adjustability while the Subaru isn`t".
Part 3 of "P1 v Evo7" coming soon!
Old 02 September 2001, 10:31 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Wink

Nothing much, just thought I should highlight the car that came first cost significantly less than the Evo

I still want an M12, just waiting for that £45k to turn up
Old 02 September 2001, 10:33 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Question

now that your ban must have ended, how is big red living up to your expectations?
dont meant to pry, but how much are uk evo7's? i gotta be honest, after being in my girlfriends evo6, i wouldnt buy one. amazing handling and oomph, but just aint the same as a scooby as far as character goes. theyre just too damn quiet
each to their own, but glad its working out for you
Old 02 September 2001, 10:37 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

It sounds a bit 'fick but the ONLY reason I would buy an Impreza instead of an Evo is the noise it makes. I dont care how good a car the Evo is, it sounds just like any other 4cyl turbo car!
Old 02 September 2001, 11:00 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yes spudgun the burden has past and yes all expectations are being lived up to and a hell of a lot more!!
I must agree with you all, i would not have changed the p1 for a 6/6mak etc but this thing is fantastic!!!!!!!
£29,995 i think from Ralliart with a 3yr unlimited mileage warranty but from a dealer i think it will be around 32k but they have been put back until Feb 02.
Jay

Until you know you will never, know but when you know you will know.
Old 02 September 2001, 11:29 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Jason

You forgot to mention the Autoexpress test where the UK300 beat the EVO VII. Sorry I forgot Mr Ralliart Goodwin was not writing that article.

You'll soon sell when the faster, better handling and better looking UK STI hits the streets.

Jonathan
Old 03 September 2001, 07:28 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Jason

"On the road, however there loads to hate. The ride is way to hard, the HANDLING feels VAGUELY INERT when your pushing at less than 10 10ths. The wastegate whistles constanly, the range is downright hopless"

Extract from your beloved Autocar article.

Think I'll stick to my EVO eater thanks and think of you as I cruise past as you fill up, or see you at the roadside for being stopped for going at 10 10ths

Jonathan

Trending Topics

Old 03 September 2001, 07:52 AM
GOLDBERG
Scooby Newbie

sorry just registered and had too login somehow
Old 03 September 2001, 12:04 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Cool

Chins mate you really are talking sh*t if you think a uk300 could come anywhere near a 7 ( understeer did you say ), and as for the sti, driven one at warrenders and they are just as sh*t.
But of course how could i say that when they are storming the world rally champs NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and tom is still in a 6 ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah aha aha aha ahah
J
Old 03 September 2001, 07:17 PM
ajw
Scooby Regular

Jason b : as a fellow evo 7 owner and a previous uk impreza turbo owner I agree with some of what you say.

The scooby had a better ride and a larger tank - other than that the evo 7 in my opinion is superior in every other area.
Performance wise straight lin there isnt much in it up to about 50mph, but there after the E7 feels so much quicker - the midrange is just phenomenal and the extra torque makes such a difference overtaking wise.

If the E7 steering feels inert then the scooby feels comatosed in comparision. Looks wise I dont really care, but I will say Im sick of seeing scoobies - especially P1s - every one seems to have one - not very exclusive. I havent seen another E7 on the road yet - perhaps that will change when official cars come through - but saying that Ive seen very very few e6s on the road. And best of all the insurance on my 30k evo is less than that on the 12k subaru - but I did change companys - Im 25 yrs old and paying £1300 on the E7 fully comp !
I acknowledge that the car has a firm ride - but it isnt that bad - I do 100 miles a day - no problems, but filling the tank up every 150 miles is a little irritating - but its worth it!

regards Andy
Old 03 September 2001, 07:28 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ajw:
<B>
I acknowledge that the car has a firm ride - but it isnt that bad - I do 100 miles a day - no problems, but filling the tank up every 150 miles is a little irritating - but its worth it!
[/quote]

Wow you must have deep pockets too. That must be 30,000 miles a year of superunleaded and Mitsubishi servicing costs!
Old 03 September 2001, 07:58 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

I love the objectivity of EVO VII owners.
Their abilty to be so narrow on their thinking hits new highs.

Comparing old shape Scoobies with EVO VII's. The comparision is STI VII yes VII not VI or P1. You boys might of owned old shape cars, but that is TOTALLY irelevant.

Jonathan

Old 03 September 2001, 08:31 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

jason
have you had the e7 decatted yet? i must admit i take back a lot of what i say about the e6. princess had a full magnex system put on today, the difference is breathtaking
i can honestly say i dont think ive been in such a quick car in all my life acceleration was ace before, now its gobsmacking. its still nice and quiet at cruising speed, but press the loud peddle and the sound is MUCH better. not headache inducing, more mean and purposeful.
couple that increase in oomph with a car that handles in such a confidence inspiring way, and its hard to think of a car that will beat it.
i still hate the looks of the e6, i doubt that will ever change, but performance wise, that exhaust has made a REAL difference.

[This message has been edited by spudgun (edited 03 September 2001).]
Old 03 September 2001, 08:51 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I'm afraid I d'ont think that the Sti is going to reclaim the crown for the Scooby camp.Drove the Evo7 and STi7 back to back must admit that the Evo7 is miles better.The scary thing is that if we do get an official UK STi 7 it may well be detuned and hence widen the gap even further.
Old 03 September 2001, 10:49 PM
ajw
Scooby Regular

chins : I wasnt comparing my E7 with a p1/sti 7 etc - I dont know where you got that idea from - I was expressing an opinion - the narrow mindeness of some people beggers belief
Old 04 September 2001, 12:57 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

It makes me sad that 2 great cars are being slated here
I was going to buy an evo4 but for the same price i could have a brand new scoob, and i also took other factors into consideration when buying too, fuel for one and the fact that a scoob was a better buy for the uk (and i get over twice the miles per tank over an evo )
The evo4 i was going to buy was fantastic, 12k miles on the clock, fsh, uk owner etc, bought from warrender from new, but even though i know how good evo's are i still ended up with me scoob and i havnt regretted any of it
Cars are a very personal thing, people enjoy them for what they are and if they are a little rough round the edges we go and buy things to smooth them off a little but value for money, you cant beat a scoob and no matter how good the car is, thats not what counts, its the driver and his/her skills to interperate the road ahead, put a bad driver in a good car and hes average, put a bad driver in a good fast car and hes dangerous!
My uk car is better suited for the roads over here than any evo, it absorbs the bumps better and handles the corners great and it costs 10k less than an evo the steering is precise and flowing and lets me know where the cars going, its energetic (oh its got a PPP fitted) and the flat 4 sounds great but i would like an evo one day, just for the track mind as thats where its better suited

Tony

PS, remark about the new scoob and rallying, look how the focus did in the first year, now its getting much better, i think they call it teething problems, even the evo will have those!!
Old 04 September 2001, 08:37 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Wink

Is the an Evo owners forum. I know I shouldnt mention this in the Scoobynet but I'm considering moving to the dark side at the moment?
Old 04 September 2001, 09:25 AM
SWOLL
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

[[It sounds a bit 'fick but the ONLY reason I would buy an Impreza instead of an Evo is the noise it makes. I dont care how good a car the Evo is, it sounds just like any other 4cyl turbo car]]

Nice to see another driving enthusiast on the BBS ;-)

[This message has been edited by SWOLL (edited 04 September 2001).]
Old 04 September 2001, 09:57 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I have to say, I dont think the sti 7 will reclaim the crown, because you cant reclaim something you never had.

I love my impreza, but aside fromt the 22B (and P2000 ) I would have an evo 4,5,6 over the subaru anyday.

I drove the 7 and was mightily impressed, but in terms of looks and straightline performance, my car would absolutely trounce it. It isn't even close.

I think the 7 is actually quite ugly, but in the darker colours (blue, black and yet to see charcoal grey) it really is growing on me.

The sti 7 is not growing on me. If it was, it would be a wart that I would have removed as soon as I could get an appointment, it is simply hideous .

Skyline R34 for me next, anyday (and of course a ferrari 355 for the weekends ).

[This message has been edited by Adam M (edited 04 September 2001).]
Old 04 September 2001, 10:44 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by SWOLL:
<B>[[It sounds a bit 'fick but the ONLY reason I would buy an Impreza instead of an Evo is the noise it makes. I dont care how good a car the Evo is, it sounds just like any other 4cyl turbo car]]

Nice to see another driving enthusiast on the BBS ;-)

[This message has been edited by SWOLL (edited 04 September 2001).][/quote]

I realised after I wrote that it came out wrong. I am a enthusiast and will get my self a subaru (once I stop doing 30000 private miles a year). I like a lot of performance cars I just feel the engine/exhaust note of a car is important.

Old 04 September 2001, 04:19 PM
SWOLL
Scooby Regular

DavyBoy,

i agree with your comment about engine/exhaust note but in comparison to driving dynamics this would have to take a back seat I'm afraid.

TVR's sound fantastic, but I wouldn't wan't to own one.

EVO6/7 sound like a washing machine, but I wouldn't say no.

Old 04 September 2001, 04:22 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

It's difficult, but you need to take into account the intangibles when it comes to Scoob ownership. I agree that driving dynamics is important but also:

Scoob noise
Scoobynet [a damn useful resource if ever I saw one]
SIDC (the best organized car club I've ever seen -- mobile track support unit is a lifesaver)