Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

priviledge & track-day cover

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2001, 03:46 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok - when i took out my policy with priviledge i was told that track-day cover was included. I was very clear with this, as i wanted to be sure and it was one of the reasons that I went with them.

However, now that I'm looking to make a claim I've told that this is not the case. I'm sure you can imagine my disappointment.

So - is anyone else under the impression that their priviledge cover includes track days ? (or am i going mad ?)

Second, any advice as to where to go next if they refuse to cover me. Do i have any options beside footing the, not insubstantial, bill myself ?

thanks in advance...

jon
Old 29 August 2001, 04:27 PM
whip
Scooby Regular

Question

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR><B>ok - when i took out my policy with priviledge i was told that track-day cover was included. I was very clear with this, as i wanted to be sure and it was one of the reasons that I went with them.[/quote]

Jon

Can you get a copy of the phone call (Privelege record all calls), given your rights under the data protection act? That might help your case m8.

Just a thought

Whip
Old 29 August 2001, 04:47 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

good point - i guess that makes a good next step

Old 29 August 2001, 04:51 PM
Simon
Scooby Regular

I too am with Privilege and was under the impression the car was covered for track days provided the events weren't timed, as this is what I was told over the phone.

The policy only states that the vehicle must not be used for timed events, which Dono obviously wasn't. As far as the policy is concerned, what is the difference between a race circuit and any other private land? Are you not covered if you crash in a supermarket car park?

If they definitely did tell you were covered then I would do as Whip suggests and ask for copies of the recordings made by Privilege, they have no choice but to give you these.

Probably not a good suggestion, but alternatively you could just lie, as many bikers seem to do, and claim the incident happened on the road.

Simon

Ps. Was yours the blue Integra with the near side missing that I saw leaving at around lunch time? If so, bad luck mate.
Old 29 August 2001, 05:04 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

yeah - that was me

tried the phone recording thing - but only "some" are recorded, i'll keep chasing but dont hold out much hope.

I would be very interested to hear whether they still say that you are covered if you gave them a quick call just to check. 0945 2468555 is the number

Old 29 August 2001, 05:21 PM
Pirum
Scooby Regular

Wink

This subject has been raised on numerous occasions...

A couple of things that I would mention and agree with...

1. Speak to your insurers and see if you can get them to release a copy of the taped phone call

2. If not request that you speak to a manager to find out why it it not available (this is only any good if they DO actually record ALL calls)

3. Check the wording on the certificate and also check out the Insruance Ombudsmans website (I can't remember the address at the mo) - I believe that there was a similar case recently that the customer/client won on a technicality

4. In the future, WHOEVER you are insured with, speak to someone prior to the event, follow it up in writing and send it recorded delivery to the person concerned, referring them to your telephone conversation of whatever the date and time etc etc...I know this is all very well after the event, but each insurer is different...

I hope this helps...any problems give me a call...

Tom
Old 29 August 2001, 05:30 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

It depends on when your policy with Privilege was taken out. Since being 'taken over' by Direct Line, new policies DO NOT provide cover for trackdays.
I have been covered for trackdays with Privilege on my current policy. However, when arranging my cover for TRAX2001 it was made crystal clear that once my current policy expires (october), they will no longer provide cover.

Just a side note, before each trackday, I call to agree that I'm covered then ALWAYS get it confirmed in writing.

[This message has been edited by DavidLewis (edited 29 August 2001).]
Old 29 August 2001, 05:30 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

The taped call is a non-starter, they just tape calls occasionally for training purposes.

I have to agree with everything you've said, but never really paid that much attention to it all because i belived what i was told by the sales guy. I think now that I've been totally shafted. I've always tended to do things properly (i.e. not driving the car 2 miles down the road, etc), but I'm now beginning understand why people go down that route.

Next step will be a letter to the claims dept, and a visit to the insurance ombudsman - but i dont hold out much hope as I have nothing to back it up.

ho hum

jon

Old 29 August 2001, 05:34 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Jon,

When did you take out your policy?
Old 29 August 2001, 05:38 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

march

which puts me outside the trackday cover period. All I can assume is that I got some moron who didnt know. I can remember having a chat with the guy about integra's and scoobies and the like. I guess it could be an honest mistake, but thats not much consolation.
Old 29 August 2001, 05:45 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Bummer.

Can't offer any other idea's apart from if your policy document does not contain a phrase that explicitly says "Not covered for racing circuits" (or words to that effect) then you always have a chance.
The no timing, racing, etc clause is always ahered to on any trackday. In principle, a circuit is simply an enclosed private road.

Good Luck
Old 29 August 2001, 09:38 PM
Bad Bads
Scooby Regular

Jon, I am also covered by Privilege.When my renewal came through in July I noticed that it did not show the usual track cover.I phoned them and they told me that existing policy holder's would still get track cover,new policies would not be offered the cover as they were now underwritten by Direct Line.To my surprise when the new policy dropped through the letter box it still did not show track cover.
A second phone call confirmed that I did indeed have the cover,but why not show it on my policy? will I get the same problem as you if, God forbid,I happen to be as unlucky as you.
Hope you get the right result.
Cheers Paul.
Old 29 August 2001, 09:56 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

hi guys
i too am with priviledge, i renewed with them in march, i asked at the time wether or not i was covered on the track, told i was , just ring a few days before to inform them, changed the car for a p1 in may, checked again about track cover, told they dont cover new policy holders but as i was only transferring i was still covered. i rang them as i was doing a track day on the 10th august and was covered, luckily as some idiot in a skyline didnt see me overtaking him and left me nowwhere to go other than onto the grass, unluckily there was a 2 foot high traffic cone in the way, it smashed the front bumper, engine tray, exhaust heatshield, back box and back bumper, the cars going in next week to be repaired, they authorised the repair yesterday
mark
Old 29 August 2001, 11:25 PM
andymac
Scooby Regular

Hi,
I too have privilege indurance (I can never spell privilege, it's probably wrong there). I've had cover with them from before the direct line take over, so I phoned them to ask if I was covered for track days and they confirmed the following;
(1) Yes I am because it's the "old policy"
(2) New policies don't count
(3) If I renew my policy I will still have trackday cover included, but if I go to another insurer for a year and then go back, track cover will no longer be included.
(4) All you need to do to have cover is to inform them before the event to say where it is and they're happy.

Whilst on the phone they took down the details of the event.

Next time I do it I will make sure I send a letter registered post before hand so that they can't claim I never phoned them.

cheers
Andy
Old 30 August 2001, 08:44 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

All i can say is, as stated above, get it in writing, advice over the phone means nothing. This is very much the kind of thing you read about and think it'll never happen to me, because I play by the rules.

As it happens, now that I've read the small print, it seems that i was also given duff advice when I had my windscreen replaced, which ended up costing me £350 rather than £50. Full details are boring, but its not leaving me with a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Jon

Old 30 August 2001, 09:06 AM
RogerE
Scooby Regular

Question

I had been with privilege for 3 years. When I renewed my insurance with them in May I noticed that all of the paper work has Subaru UK on it. does anyone else have the same?
One on the key reasons I stayed with privilege was for track day cover.

RogerE
Old 30 August 2001, 11:30 AM
Russs
Scooby Regular

Hey Mark - was this incident at Goodwood?
If so, I was about half a lap in front of you waiting for the pair of you to catch up and give me some competition!

Sorry to hear about the accident, glad you are getting it all sorted. Considering the size of Goodwood and the low number of cars on track, there were a surprising amount of close calls.

That Skyline driver wasn't very quick anyway, was he?

Cheers
Russ
Old 30 August 2001, 05:12 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Just took this up with Priv.... and a manager rather than a "pleb" expression my concern over this and the policy holders affected.

This is the facts as I have got them by getting them to ask the underwriter.

1. If you are on a new policy without having an old policy the trackday cover is not there.

2. If you had an old policy and did use the track day cover then at their discretion they would carry it over.

3. If you had an old policy and did not use the track day cover then they will not carry it over.

4. If you asked about a trackday then they would put a comment on record to ensure you were covered if you made a claim.

BUT

The clause they are looking at in the new policy is "not timed events or racing" which most track days are not anyway.

Just my thoughts from here on ......

So if you have a claim I would suggest proving that it was not timed or racing (most track days have this in there rules). If you do this then please let us know as it could set a precident.

I would also recommend calling beforehand anyway, better to be safe than sorry.

Dave.
Old 31 August 2001, 10:02 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

hi russ
yes it was goodwood, what were you in ?
mark