Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadside white vans

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2001, 12:51 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to let you all know I have spotted some unmarked white vans on the road side,on the A41, A1 and A406 (north circ) in north london areas.

These things are very tall and seem to have camera equipment poking out of a glass window above the rear doors.

I initially thought they were speed cameras, but my euro 550 picked up nothing, and there were no policeman to stop you, or markings on the road for proof in court.

I am told some new devices use lasers for speed detection, which may not have been aimed at me, combined with snap shot cameras.

The vans were manned by men in white shirts, and were located at either side of each dual carriageway. It looked like they had a hi-tec camera on each lane.

After passing this lot, a friend of mine witnessed some kids cutting a convertible roof, and then setting fire to it. In his car, he followed them as they walked into a house.

He then went to the vans to ask if they were police. They repsonded by asking why he wanted to know and he explained what had happened. It turned out they were police, and took a statement from him, after calling the fire brigade.

Once pally, he asked them what they were doing, and was told they were checking for road tax evasion.

They have an uplink to the dvla database and compare cars filmed on road to the records to see who hasn't paid. They then send a letter through the post, fining you. If you refuse to pay, they use video footage as evidence you have used the car on the road.

They also indicated that the cameras have the facility to measure speed, but their intended use is as above.

This is the next government scheme, aimed at increasing revenue, without destrying public perception of the police force.

[This message has been edited by Adam M (edited 22 August 2001).]
Old 22 August 2001, 01:05 PM
Vans
Scooby Regular

Angry

Yep,
They have the very same white Vans at the side of Motorways here in IRELAND. Check out the Naas Road I saw them from there one time when I was travelling that part of the country.
Vans
Old 22 August 2001, 01:16 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Cool

Told you Adam

Old 22 August 2001, 01:19 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Excellent - so we just get all the gatsos pointed the other way so they take pictures of missing/expired tax discs instead of speeders LOL
Old 22 August 2001, 02:31 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

A Traffic cop, who's freindly with the boss showed us the actual unit and laptop and did a quick scan around the carpark to show it working...yeah right .....anyway he did mention that it was capable of speed detection but not allowed to use it for fear of the cars/vans that carry them being vadalised by joe public!!!
Old 22 August 2001, 02:33 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Dave - I'm sure you can confirm or refute this, but I read that the next step with these was to hook DVLA up with all the insurance databases, and also to implement static cameras in conjunction with SPECS systems. It is a bit Big Brother, but I would personally be happier if I knew that people with no insurance where getting scooped on a more regular basis
Old 22 August 2001, 02:44 PM
M Hutton
Scooby Regular

I've seen one on the A30. A few hundred yards down the road there were a batch of police bikes waiting down a side road.

They must have been expecting a lot of business.
Old 22 August 2001, 02:49 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

FB

Hi mate

IIRC, it is correct the PNC is going to be hooked up to the insurance database.

(and then hopefully offenders will be hooked up to the nearest lamp post....)

Saw my first SPECS a couple of weeks ago - in the 40 in the roadworks on the M6 at Spag Junc - only appeared to be covering the outside lane!
Old 22 August 2001, 02:50 PM
ChrisB

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by fast bloke:
<B>It is a bit Big Brother, but I would personally be happier if I knew that people with no insurance where getting scooped on a more regular basis [/quote]

Right with you on that idea FB. I pay my tax, insurance and get an MOT so have nothing to worry about. About time the dodgers got hammered (which they won't, probably just a £50 fine and a smack on the wrist grrrr)

ChrisB.
Old 22 August 2001, 03:00 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

They seem to be coming down quite hard on tax dodgers now. My sister in law got caught last week. She got a 200 quid fine and had to have it taxed within 7 days (backdated to the last time it was taxed). She called me to see what to do. I laughed my bo11ox off and told her to pay her tax in advance in the future