Sponsored by:

New MY03 pics have made my mind up

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2002, 09:24 PM
man on the moon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deep Breath...first post

Having 'stalked' this forum for around 10 months I've come to 2 important decisions. The first is that the pics of the new shape WRX are enough for me to start the long and arduous process of convincing my better half that this is the vehicle that should be purchased as swift and safe family transport when the current car loan runs out.

The second decision was helped by my 4th can of Grolsch and posting this on the forum....there I've done it now.
Old 28 September 2002, 09:41 PM
man on the moon
Scooby Regular

This is weird...13 views and no comment...please someone, anyone say hello...I think another can of the hard stuff is required...maybe this was a mistake.
Old 28 September 2002, 09:46 PM
tony1979
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hello and welcome. Go on and buy one...you know it makes sense
Old 28 September 2002, 10:27 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

You are definitely on the right track - active driving and active safety remember? A scooby is a family car so it shouldn't be too difficult for you to convince the other half.

As it happened to me, I wasn't really thinking about buying a scooby for my next car - I was looking at BMW (I can see the hate posts starting already) and was trying to convince my other half that the E46 M3 coupé would be perfect for (my) our needs...just the financing was a bit on the steep side. We'd batted this back and forth and decided that as beamers are totally useless come winter around here (snow)...as are Porkers, Mercs, Ferrari's and 99.99% of all performance cars...that we (I) had better look for something else. Her major requirement was that whatever I got, it had to have a decent (i.e. large) boot.

Couple of days after, we were in a supermarket parking lot and my missus is looking at the boots of all these motors sitting there. She spots a WRX and says that it looks like it's got a bit of room in the back...I'm looking at the tyres, brakes, front end and thinking "there's a few horses under that bonnet...hmm..gotta look a lot closer at these scoobs on the net when I get home."

To cut a long story short, we ended up in the showroom looking at an MY98 or MY99 going for sale - the boot was duly inspected. She's talking to the dealer about the boot, I'm talking to him about placing an order for a new car.

Deal is done - she's gets the boot - I get an STi.

Suggest you give your other half the boot too
Old 29 September 2002, 12:50 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
IMHO subaru still havent done a good job on the new shape. It still doesnt look aggressive enough, i likes me bonnet vents
and the back end still too boxy
Old 29 September 2002, 01:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Get your wife a test drive. Don't drive it before her, and DON'T let the salesperson thrash it to show off. Not many women like being thrown around in a car, they prefer to do it themselves!!: Just let her drive it. The grin factor will settle it for you.
Alcazar
Old 29 September 2002, 01:56 PM
chockymonster
Scooby Regular

Agree with alcazar,
our local salesman drove gently to warm the car up, gave the car to me to drive. I had a nice little jolly, he then offered the car to my fiance and then asked if we both wanted to sit in the front (I think he thought she'd be gentle)
Never seen someone look as white as he did when she had finished
Old 29 September 2002, 02:56 PM
Baby Blue
Scooby Regular

Again I agree with alcazar - get her in the car first - if she likes driving, she will be have decided on the clour and accessories before you get in the driving seat.

Get her down to your dealer m8 - you won't regret it!

ScoobyNetters don't get their car for the looks so don't dwell too long on the outside or the inside for that matter! These cars are not bought for their build quality - even the dealer admitted that to me.

BB
Old 29 September 2002, 03:30 PM
Type_RA
Scooby Regular

If you want a new shape then you maybe in for a wait. Probably talking Jan/Feb 2003 before we see the first ones. May get a hell of a deal on an MY02 though .

[Edited by Type_RA - 9/29/2002 3:31:26 PM]
Old 29 September 2002, 03:32 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Have another can and get the STi !!

Old 30 September 2002, 07:25 PM
man on the moon
Scooby Regular

Well

First of all I feel better having had you lovely people reply to my first post - I feel I've made a few friends out there.

To be perfectly honest, my wife isn't too bothered what I (we) get as long as I stop buying car mags and spend less time on the internet and less time talking about it all.

The long wait for a MY03 is bit of a pain but what can one do. I would say the looks are better than the bug eye, from the pics anyway, but it's still no raving beauty. But as I'm learning - you don't drive a Scooby for the way it looks.
Old 30 September 2002, 08:16 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Safety first.... women love safety...

Look on the Subaru UK website under news and there you will find that the Impreza was awarded best small car for safety in the US.

Then explain the various benefits of 4 wheel drive, fat tyres (the footprint) and quality of the brakes.

Then take her on the test drive... my wife was totally taken and we put a deposit down then. We're now on our second.

Dave
Old 30 September 2002, 08:24 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

To be perfectly honest, my wife isn't too bothered what I (we) get as long as I stop buying car mags and spend less time on the internet and less time talking about it all.
But if you get one you will be doing exactly all of the above !

Old 30 September 2002, 09:27 PM
naturbo2000
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

motm - take a MY02 for a test drive in the mean time

It'll ease the wait and keep you convinced it's what you're after

Plus - you won't see how fugly they are from the inside