Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spent 6 months looking for this car!!

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2002, 08:39 PM
Darren king
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok after owning a WRX and UK MY97 I have finally brought the scoob that I admire the most (for the money!)

I am importing an MY98 STi 4 RA V Limited in sonic blue....can't wait till it comes so any info on this model would be great. I know its lightweight and low geared.

Opinions please.
Old 28 September 2002, 08:45 PM
Type_RA
Scooby Regular

They are top motors, not really suited to motorways but hey who cares .

I have a V-Ltd RA and was dubious about gearing and grey imports etc. Best decision I made, except it costs a fortune to run and mod, but you have had 2 so you know the score already .

If you have never driven an RA my 5th gear is close to a UK 4th ratio. You learn to change gear quick .

[Edited by Type_RA - 9/28/2002 8:46:14 PM]
Old 28 September 2002, 08:48 PM
Darren king
Scooby Regular

I'm not bothered about motorways, just want mad acceleration

Will I notice a big difference from a std 94 WRX......hope so, running costs don't bother me its only coming out at weekends and you only live once!

Is there any more special items on the V Limited?
Old 28 September 2002, 08:55 PM
Type_RA
Scooby Regular

The V-lims AFAIK have all the kit put back on. Auto Aircon, roof vent, diff controller, quick rack, electrics (windows,mirrors), special seats and a plaque signifying its limited edition number. Mine is version 6 but a non STI so it has not WI/roof vent/diff controller but has ABS. None of the RAs normally have ICE and no speakers.
Old 28 September 2002, 08:59 PM
Darren king
Scooby Regular

Version 6 thats the last of the best shape ah....nice what colour?

So mine should have electronic diff I thought that they was only on the type R's.

It gets better.
Old 28 September 2002, 09:04 PM
Type_RA
Scooby Regular

It a V6 but because its a WRX RA not a WRX STI RA it has an STI4 spoiler.

JohnFs STI 5 RA V-Limited has all the kit I posted before. Not sure the difference between the 4 and 5 but I think you have brought a serious beast mate . Heres mine :

Old 28 September 2002, 09:09 PM
Darren king
Scooby Regular

Very nice, Type RA do you think the MY98 has folding mirrors.
Old 28 September 2002, 09:12 PM
Type_RA
Scooby Regular

I think so most of them did after MY94 so I am 99% sure that a V-ltd would, mine has great for parking and showing off .
Old 28 September 2002, 09:38 PM
oj
Scooby Regular

Smile

I like the sound of your new found car... Like you I have spent months looking for my car.. I was looking for STI V2 555 model and finally two weeks ago, just as I was about to give up I saw and purchased the car... However, this is my first scooby, but have heard a lot about these from a friend who has one for rallying.. Anyway, like you I can't wait to see it, and hungry for any knowledge about these...
Do you have any pictures of your new car...???

Anyway, enjoy your car when it arrives..

OJ....
Old 28 September 2002, 09:43 PM
Darren king
Scooby Regular

Thanks, the only pics I have at the mo are of it in Japan and I don't know how to upload them anyway!

Seems we are both waiting in anticipation then. The 555 is very nice and very rare hope you have fun.
Old 28 September 2002, 09:50 PM
oj
Scooby Regular

I must omit I nearly went for something like yours, but th eprice was slightly out of my budget.. Must keep her in doors happy..

When do you expect your car to arrive in the UK... Are you doing the fitment of the reag fog light, speed conversion, SVA etc.. yourself..??? If so I would be interested to hear what you are doing.. I was thinking about converting the off side reversing light as the rear fog light, but not sure..

Cheers..

Old 28 September 2002, 10:10 PM
Darren king
Scooby Regular

Her indoors don't know what its costing yet

Yeah I'm doing the conversion and sva myself, although it will have to go through the advanced sva now. I expect it to take 1 - 2 months to get here then I will get and repairs done so its all spic and span.
Old 28 September 2002, 11:03 PM
oj
Scooby Regular

When I first mentioned a Subaru she wasn't too keen, then I told her that it was a four door family car.. which she replied was okay, but not one with the spoliers etc.. Opps...!! when I showed the picture of the car from Japan, she was okay..!! thank goodness..!! so still in the good books..

I am hoping for mid Nov when it arrives hopefully in Tilbury, then the fun begins..!! Have you decided how you are going to do your rear fog light..??? At first I didn't mind the waiting as I didn't find anything.. but now that I know that I have a car, the waiting is killing me, but I know it will be worth it when it arrives.. what about youself..??

Cheers...
Old 28 September 2002, 11:28 PM
chockymonster
Scooby Regular

Darren, why does it have to go through the advanced?
Mine arrives in 9 days and I still don't have a clue what I need to do!

Ship left Japan on the 30th of August, lands in southampton 7th October
Old 28 September 2002, 11:31 PM
Darren king
Scooby Regular

AS I have been looking for so long I don't mind waiting a bit longer...something to look forward to just in time for christmas!

I will just bolt a fog light under the rear bumper and put it on a switch on the dash. What are you doing, have you brought it through a broker who will register it and everything?

What year and spec is yours.
Old 29 September 2002, 12:08 AM
oj
Scooby Regular

Cool

I am still deciding on what to do on the rear fog.. but will probably up end adding a rear fog light and switch, straight forward and easy..

I joined an auction site and placed a bid.. using a local shipping company, recommended, and they will deal with the importation side.. when it finally arrives, I will sort out the registration, sva, and mot.. I will imagine that esva, a sit now known will be fun..!!
The guys at the auction site ISIBIKE.COM have been very helpful, as I have sent many e-mails asking them to provide details of number of cars which they have done..

The car is late 95 (nov..), blue, no 555 logos painted on the side etc.. just plain blue with 40K on the clock, it has ac, power windows, gold alloys, roof vent, cd/md player, power steering..

What about yours, how did you get to buy your car..??

Cheers..

Old 29 September 2002, 01:32 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

All i will say is speak to John Felstead now he can drive a V-Ltd to what it is suppose to be able to do

Tony
Old 29 September 2002, 01:53 AM
Jaay
Scooby Regular

OJ,
At last, someone else with the same model as me. Let me know your thoughts when you get it. Ive been waiting for someone with the same model to show up so I can get some comparisons from.
Btw you wont be disapointed !
40K thats good mileage !
Keep us posted
Old 29 September 2002, 10:02 AM
Darren king
Scooby Regular

oj

I'm getting it from a used car exporter in Japan...perhaps you can give me some advice, I am still a little unsure about collecting it from the docks - do I need to get some forms to pay the vat etc. Also I take it you are given an exect time the ship is due in?

From what I can gather most imports now have to have esva because of a change in the law a while back to stop them all coming through as personal imports.
Old 29 September 2002, 10:22 AM
oj
Scooby Regular

JAAY - Same here, at last someone that I can speak to and find out more about the car.. I have a handbook and studied every detail, so I am now familiar with the lay out, but you can't beat seeing the real thing in the flesh..!! Do you have any pictures etc, interiror, boot, engine bay, anything - if so perhaps you could e-mail : rickwaters@totalise.co.uk many thanks...

Darren - As for the import tax, custom and shipping cost, this will be handed by the shipping company.. Once I received the bill - Freight charge, landing fee, import duty and VAT - and hand over my cheque, I should have the appropriate Custom document and confirmation of payments, in readiness for the registration..
I will do the rest myself, being the MOT, ESVA, registration, after I have fitted the rear fog lamp, speed face ( I will probably change the face), the only only concern that I have will be the exhaust, as the car will have to pass 102 DB's...
Then the fun of getting the registration..!!
If you have any advice I would also welcome it..!!!

Well, looking forward to the fun and games of getting the above done..

Anyway, was your broker helpful..?? My guys were really good, as I kept sending e-mail after e-mail on cars that I felt may of been of interest.. I had only to suffer three months searching and waiting, not like you six..!!

Cheers,
OJ..
Old 29 September 2002, 10:23 AM
chockymonster
Scooby Regular

I have a customs agent doing the clearance bit for me. Can give you their details if you want?
Old 29 September 2002, 10:30 AM
oj
Scooby Regular

Darren - As for the date, I am waiting confirmation.. They originally state dthe 11th Nov, arriving at Bristol.. I wanted Tilbury, slight admin c**k up here at their end.. Anyway, I am now waiting for a confirmation date, and will speak with the importer over the next week or so, to understand the process when it lands here. So I know when to pick the car up, and not waste any tine or incurr any cost for storage in the dock....

Sorry, that I cannot be of any help, but if you want me seek out any information with my importer, I be more than willing to assist.. By the way, do you know who's doing your shipping..?? I would imagine the import, if based in the UK would look after the relevant charges on your behalf...!!

Cheers,

OJ..
Old 29 September 2002, 10:54 AM
Edtough
Scooby Newbie

I don't know how you do it. I couldn't buy a car for thousands of pounds, which has done 40K miles, which I have only seen in a few pictures. Are you not worried at all about the condition of the thing. It could be a right dog. It can be hard enough buying a car privately in the flesh, that you thinks is fine, only to find problems with it after a few days. You must have a lot of trust?

And incidentally am I the only one who learned English at school; if you "BUY" a car you have "BOUGHT" it, not "BROUGHT" it!
Old 29 September 2002, 12:36 PM
Darren king
Scooby Regular

If you haven't got any thing decent to say don't bother saying anything.....any spelling mistakes there?

Exporters in Japan are very helpfull, taking close up pictures of every slight mark on the car. If you don't take any risks in life then you won't get very far you have to have some trust.

Like I said I asked for information on this car and that was all.

Chockymonster - that would be great if you could give me some details.

[Edited by Darren king - 9/29/2002 12:39:14 PM]
Old 29 September 2002, 04:51 PM
Edtough
Scooby Newbie

Was that not a decent thing to ask then? I merely wondered how you went about assessing the condition of an expensive vehicle thousands of miles away. Next time I have such a stupid question I won't bother then.

And it wasn't so much a spelling mistake, more of using completely the wrong word with a different meaning altogether.

[Edited by Edtough - 9/29/2002 4:53:54 PM]
Old 29 September 2002, 05:05 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Ed if you use a reputable agent in Japan they hand pick the cars and go over them with a fine tooth comb, noting down any blemishes. It does sound risky but its the only way to get hold of these cars use a recommend agent and you are 99% there. You could wait for one to come up in the UK but there aint many about and the prices are better direct from Japan. You also know its been run on proper fuel, no guarentee its not be run on NUL if buying from the UK and what damage may have been done. Buying second hand cars is risky no matter where you get them from. The good thing about the V-ltds are restricted to 1000 units per MY and type and have all the nice bits and sell well second hand .

IMHO have less chance of coming across a car identical to mine than if I have a catalunya, terzo or an RB5 or a P1 as there were only 1000 made the same as mine but AFAIK very few came over.

Cheers

Chris
(aka Type_RA)

[Edited by chrisp - 9/29/2002 5:09:04 PM]
Old 29 September 2002, 05:06 PM
Darren king
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry

I didn't realise this forum was all about picking peoples wording and spelling mistakes.
Old 29 September 2002, 05:12 PM
Edtough
Scooby Newbie

Oh OK, well that's more understandable then Chris.

I'm sorry Darren, but I literally had to re-read and translate your first sentence in this thread to make sense of it, and you went on to make this mistake throughout the thread. Sorry if I'm being pedantic.
Old 29 September 2002, 05:18 PM
Darren king
Scooby Regular

Ok I don't intend to be the worlds best in grammar, I type too fast and usually drinking a beer at the time it was sat night.

As stated buying from Japan comes with a little risk but anyone who has a special model like the V Limited wants silly money for it here.
Old 29 September 2002, 05:23 PM
Edtough
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Just noticed you're in Northampton Darren, so are you a Santa Pod regular?

Quick Reply: Spent 6 months looking for this car!!