Sponsored by:

For all the photoshop experts!

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2001, 08:53 PM
ScoobydoobyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Im just starting to try and teach my self, Ive worked out the whole colour changing bit by adjusting the colour balance, but how do you colour code parts of the car the same colour?!

Also noticed that some of you who have minipulated photo's have lowered the car too how did you sort out the background?

Any help would be cool

cheers
Dave
Old 15 August 2001, 10:10 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

First learn how to use the bezier curves to draw paths around the objects you wish change the colour of or move, then work out how to use the cloning stamp tool excellent for cloning in missing pieces of pictures. Photoshop 6 allows you to make adjustment layers so you can make colour changes over and over again to the same masks.

Jake
(retoucher by profession)
Old 16 August 2001, 08:32 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

If you want to change the colour of something, you're probably better off using the hue/saturation and brightness/contrast controls IMHO. That's what I use anyway.

Colour coding things can be tricky if they're very dark (eg. sills, door handles) to start with. If you increase the brightness directly then you'll tend to amplify noise, and the hue can be ambiguous. In that case, select the areas to adjust and use the colour balance adjustments to add some colour (turn off 'preserve luminosity'), then make it the right colour with the hue/saturation controls.

Any operation that reveals part of the background (eg. lowering the car, cutting off its roof...) is best done with the clone (rubber stamp) tool, as Jake says. Many of the pictures in which I've seen this done have quite simple, low detail backgrounds that respond well to this. Things like bricks and trees can be cloned easily and the joins can be made almost invisible. (See the 'micro-scooby' under the 'Blue scoob corner' thread, Members Gallery) for a particularly obvious example).

Andy.
Old 16 August 2001, 08:56 AM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

Also, try going to Image>Adjust> Replace Colour..

Use the colour picker to select the area you wish to alter and then use the hue/saturation sliders to alter the colours...it can be a bit crude on poor or badly lit images though.
Old 16 August 2001, 02:02 PM
StevieB
Scooby Regular

Agree with Jake on this one. Sort yourself out on paths and then selecting them and you will be away. Once you have a selection use feather to blend edges in when adjusting colour.

Steve (graphic designer)
Old 17 August 2001, 05:07 PM
ScoobydoobyDave
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers for the replys!, Ive been having a play with it, if I make anything half decent i'll share it with ya!

Cheers
Dave