Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 WRX with PPP vs. STi

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2002, 07:30 PM
AlexK
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just come back from test driving a factory-standard WRX and an STi back-to-back.

My initial thoughts were that the STi was a little too hectic for my tastes, and I preferred the more flexible power delivery and easy-going nature of the WRX. The STi is definitely re-worked to produce more power at high revs, and I likened it to letting go of a fully-stretched rubber band with one end attached to the horizon. The WRX, to me, felt more usable - it wasn't so bothered about being in the right gear or having the right amount of revs showing on the clock. The WRX's 5-speed 'box seemed to me to have a more logical set of ratios; in particular, second gear felt far more useful.

However, there were a couple of notable exceptions. The standard WRX exhaust doesn't emit enough 'Subaru-ness' in my opinion, and badly needs an alternative back box. The shorter shift action of the STi's gearbox also suits the car better, although the WRX's gear shift action is perfectly acceptable. I didn't get on too well with the STi's ride quality but definitely preferred its brakes.

Effectively, I'd plump for something between the two - the WRX for more progressive power delivery and ride, the STi for aural stimulation, gearshift action and stopping power.

Basically, all this waffle leads me to ask about the PPP for the WRX. My thinking at the moment is to order a WRX and specify an alternative back box (I assume the Prodrive) and quickshift to be fitted to the car from new. I'd then drive the car for a while, until I reached the point where I was starting to become complacent about its performance. I'd then order the rest of the PPP (the price of which I assume I could have reduced as I'd already have the back box fitted) and probably have the brakes upgraded at the same time.

For those that have the PPP fitted to a WRX, how do you feel it affects the power delivery? Does the engine retain its flexible gait, pulling well from low down the rev range, or does the PPP give the engine a more peaky disposition that requires more revs to make progress?

My apologies for the length of this post. I'm just curious to know if others have garnered the same opinions as I after a test drive, and what conclusions they drew. Of course, this could all be academic depending on what Subaru do for the MY03...
Old 24 September 2002, 07:33 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

I had a heavily modded WRX (full decat, 18's, AP 6 pots, Leda plus lots more) and sold it for an STi7. Haven't looked back
Old 24 September 2002, 08:13 PM
Barnaby
Scooby Regular

Alex, I've had a WRX and changed to an STi7 as well.

A comment about the gearing in the STi7. It's actually very useable. 4th is perfect around town as you stay within the limit and the car isn't about to try and take off. I found the WRX a little too revvy in 3rd and to lumpy in 4th.

On the motorway 6th is a very relaxed cruise. 5th is just as useable at motorway speeds and gives you a good zip if you want to pass people.
Old 24 September 2002, 08:24 PM
BOBBY G
Scooby Regular

sounds like you need to buy an STI, and then put crap suspension on it. That will fulfill almost all of your criteria with minimum ease.
I think you should think about a Proton Satira GTI or something similar. I personally think the STI has a superb engine, suspension, etc.

Failing all that, wear extra pants to cushion your delicate bottom.
Old 24 September 2002, 08:31 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Sti with PPP

Old 24 September 2002, 08:33 PM
Razor2001
Scooby Regular

LOL...Booby G, funny stuff...

On a serious note I think what he is saying that due to having a smaller turbo the WRX spools up faster (probably closer to 3,000 rpms whereas the STI is closer to 4,000 rpms) than the STI which means it is easier to enjoy when just zippin around town..I would have to agree with his point. But, a more low down torquey STi-7 is only a turbo back decatted zorst away

As a side note: My old Eclipse GS Turbo (220 bhp FWD) had a smaller turbo and spooled up nicely around 2,800 rpms, course it didn't pull anywhere near what my JDM STi-7 does above 4,000 rpms but just simple driving took some getting used to as I was used to the 'kick' below 3,000 rpms that didn't come on my STi-7 till 4,000 rpms......hmmmm, I think I have confused myself and everyone else

Good luck,
Ray

[Edited by Razor2001 - 9/24/2002 8:36:21 PM]

[Edited by Razor2001 - 9/24/2002 8:40:28 PM]
Old 24 September 2002, 08:40 PM
Type_RA
Scooby Regular

The STI7 mapping definitely seems like they have lost something. I have a JDM version 6 WRX with an STI6 VF29 turbo and it pulls from 2,500rpm all the way to 7000rpm which is lower than my old 98 turbo which went at 3000-3500rpm. Hopefully teh car is to be RR-ed soon so it will be nicely to see when the torque comes in and how much.

[Edited by Type_RA - 9/24/2002 8:41:21 PM]
Old 24 September 2002, 08:43 PM
Razor2001
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Wow !

That is awesome RA, please keep us informed on the torque curve. I would pay some serious loot to have my car pull hard from 2,500 rpms !

Cheers,
Ray
Old 24 September 2002, 08:45 PM
MarkWRX
Scooby Regular

I too had a WRX with PPP (UK300) and also Prodrive Springs and Quickshift and changed up to an STi 2 months ago. One long test drive was enough for me.

Like Dave T-S, I too have not looked back.

I find the gearing fine, third and fourth seem to be where the most fun is.

The only thing I cant decide is whether I preferred the WR Blue of my UK300 to my Blue/Black Sti
Old 24 September 2002, 08:50 PM
BOBBY G
Scooby Regular

Yes guys, you are right.
All joking aside, when I first got my STI I found that I would pull out on to roundabouts and just sit there in an embarassing manner until the revs rose to the magic mark.
A change in driving style soon sorts most of the niggles, but all in all a bit of ooomph at 2500rpm would be cool.
My brothers WRX PPP has the same characteristic. I am not sure exactly what revs are required for ooomph in it, but it is a similar scenario if you dont feed plenty of revs for the take-off.
It sounds way cooler than mine.

Bob.

p.s. I hope you all like my technical terms e.g. ooomph
Old 24 September 2002, 08:56 PM
KWS
Scooby Regular

Import a genuine STi and don't look back! No need to ***** around with mods or putting up with the inferior performance of the 'UK'.
Old 24 September 2002, 09:02 PM
Razor2001
Scooby Regular

KWS,

I have the JDM STi-7 and I still felt like it was weak below 4,000 rpms so I did a full turbo back decat (ScoobySport) and it has helped out nicely. Would still love to drop the spool up but there is only so low you can go. You have a choice, smaller turbo = faster spool up but slower top end pull and overall speed or big turbo = slower spool up but faster top end and high up pull. Don't think you can have the best of both worlds on a 2 litre car that weighs 3,300 lbs :-)

By the way, what is the weight of the JDM STi-7 ?

Cheers,
Ray
Old 24 September 2002, 09:12 PM
KWS
Scooby Regular

Wink

Believe its 1430kgs.

Never had any problems with low down pull during normal driving and if you want a 'quick start' its just a question of keeping the revs up and ... holding on for grim death!
Old 24 September 2002, 09:41 PM
AlexK
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the comments guys, even Proton Boy (aka Bobby G) - I've done my time in 400bhp+ barely-legal road cars with zero suspension travel. If all I wanted was out-and-out performance, I'd buy a missile and a Recaro seat, but the point about a change in driving style is a valid one.

It's interesting that I'm not the only one who feels there's something missing in the STi's lower ranges, but what's this JDM stuff all about?
Old 24 September 2002, 09:46 PM
scoobypig
Scooby Regular

Alex.
The PPP on the WRX improves the car no end. It gives good torque from about 3k. Also better top end and sounds great.
In terms of the STI, beware the small price differential.
A WRX with PPP(£1600) and the obligatory tracker and first years subscription (total >£500 adds up to 23.6K. Add metallic=just under 24K. So only 2k less than non prodrive STI(tracker and first years subs'and metallic standard)

So i nearly bought one BUT get an insurance quote first (I found it a hell of a lot more).Also my scoob is used every day for commuting and as family transport at weekends. The roads round my way are bumpy as the sti was intollerable and i disliked getting even more attention in it.

Also i hated the lack of low down torque and it needs the PPP(then total close to £30k.
Try a ppp wrx first then decide. I'm glad i chose it but if you're really thinking of uprating brakes etc don't get the WRX, you'll never recover the money.

Final point, with the wrx ppp you WILL, after about 6 months want 'just a bit more power...' (but it doesn't actually NEED more,
unlike the std wrx which really does disappoint)
Old 24 September 2002, 09:46 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Had my Dealer's WRX/PPP the other day while the STi 7(UK) was in for some work. I'd originally had to decide between a WRX/PPP + minor bits or an STiUK and come down for the latter since it wasn't that much extra money. And I'm very happy with it though, yes, it is a bit frenetic and needs plenty of Revs. The 4th Gear is, indeed, a really good all-round running gear for much of the day-to-day stuff.

But I was impressed with the WRX/PPP in spite of myself. It was very smooth indeed, with the extra pace making up for the lack of old-shape kick-in-the-back. The Steering rack is absolutely excellent, though I prefer the slightly heavier feedback weight of the STi (marry the two would be perfect). Gearshift was fine... didn't feel the lack of a quickshift. But, in the final analysis, the bog-standard 50-75 overtake couldn't match the STi's

I'm hoping that STi/PPP will as much improve the everyday driveability as I know (having been driven in Mike Wood's) it will improve the top end grunt.

In other words, I'm very happy with the STi, but wouldn't have been unhappy with a WRX/PPP (and would have found a wagon really convenient.) Hopefully STi/PPP will combine the best of both worlds...

Yer pays yer money.....

Phil
Old 24 September 2002, 11:24 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Myself and PCB both had minted WRX's, just like DTS too, all 3 of us would not swap back, no way
Old 25 September 2002, 01:01 AM
AlanS
Scooby Regular

Going back to KWS's comment "buy an import sti", can anyone compare the latest jap import sti against a UK sti.

Apart from the fuel RON factors (let's assume they both run on optimax what would the REAL differences be?