Sponsored by:

Sporty Legacy?

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2002, 02:02 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I was looking into the Impreza WRX as a replacement for my very dull Golf 4Motion but towing is looking like being a bit of a problem (car trailer to tow reasonably regularly which is very close if not slightly over the 1200Kgs limit on the WRX).

So I'm having to look at alternatives and the Legacy is an obvious one (not too much of a fan of estate type cars for the Forester is not a likely option) but the performance on the 2.5GX is not great (not bad but its no WRX!).

Given the Legacy was the basis for Subaru's first dominant rally effort I wondered what tuning options might exist for the Legacy (although the lack of a turbo is probably going to be the limiting factor?). Also, thoughts on import turbo Lecacy's - anyone got a new'ish one, thoughts, things to watch out for, what about warranties etc. etc.

Thanks.
Old 23 September 2002, 05:35 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Any Legacy owners out there in Scoobynet land?
Old 23 September 2002, 06:15 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

To be honest, I wouldn't consider using any of the turbo scoobs for towing anything heavy, because their clutches aren't really up to the slipping required to get a big trailer started, especially on an incline. I would recommend a look at an H6 outback though, even if you're not into estates.
Old 24 September 2002, 02:09 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Never used one for towing (well, I have towed a few cars out of sand traps ). The revision D Auto may be OK for that though - with tiptronic (for fun when not towing ) and bags more low end than the earlier cars is may be very good for that indeed.

Someone on the B4 group was towing a horse float or summat for a while...
Old 24 September 2002, 09:19 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Legacy 2.5 Auto, its the only way if you want a reasonable priced motor,not only that, but a manual will definately hit you in the clutch replacement pocket. A 2.5 will give any motor a run for its money too, they do have quite a bit of torque hidden away for when needed.
Old 24 September 2002, 10:20 AM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

The 2.5 legacy isn't much heavier than a mk 2 WRX/Impreza; so not really that good for stuff much heavier than 1200kg if you're going long distances.

The H6 being over 1600 kg is better; fuel consumption is similar to the 2.5 (the in-laws have one), as long as you don't push the button with the 'Power' label on it.

Not really that sporty either, compared to my MY99 turbo, as it does understeer quite a lot round tight corners being so nose heavy; but is miles better than the old RAV4 my wife used to drive. In the dry goes round a lot of bends at the same speed as my Impreza.

Could do with some stiffening up, plus more low down torque, but there's little demand for H6 tuning.
Old 24 September 2002, 03:19 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Towed a caravan for 1000s of miles with a 91 legacy estate some years ago. Caravan was a 14ft single axle jobbie.

No problems with clutches from normal towing, but reversing up inclines or when someone kindly puts on the caravan handbrake is not so good.

Good fuel economy if you keep it off boost, which you can do much of the time at 60ish on the motorway.

The caravan in question was also loaded with kart, tools, wheels&tyres etc etc etc.

Legacy was replaced by BMW540 (older shape) which was okay, but the "intelligent" auto box just wasn't, and it got about 13-14mpg towing compared to the Legacy's 20. Auto box took most of the low speed/traffic agro out of towing though.

Paul