Sponsored by:

Back from test drive of 01 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2001, 10:55 AM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Had a test drive of a new Scooby WRX yesterday. It had the cheeky prodrive kit fitted. Must admit I was expecting it to feel really quick but it just didn't. I suppose it's cos it grips so well and corners so flat there is no drama at all.
Excellent cross country car tho - if you needed to do a lot of miles on mixed roads, this would be the fella. Very easy to drive fast.
I now need to decide if I want one. Don't think I can do it cos it's so bloody ugly! But I am tempted............
The salesman reckoned 4wd cars don't feel as fast cos you don't get that lifting/dipping feeling on accel/braking .... hmmm?
I think I want an old marina with remoulds to bring the fun back....
Old 16 August 2001, 11:15 AM
RAver
Scooby Regular

Wink

I must say as a regular driver of a mod-ed scoobie (sti2 RA )on 17" rims, which is both seriously quick and nicely set-up for the smoothish roads around my area, the lack of 'sensation of speed' is incredibly deceptive! Did a fun run this morning on way to work and a few acceleration tests: rolling to 60/80mph-POW!! (read comments on giving the car a blast being good for performance)and found I was covering the roads I know well ludicrously quickly with zero drama -the best way I can describe it is a sense of the car being "big" or the road being flatter somehow -and straighter too!! Then I remembered the roads were wet.. Nuff said??
Old 16 August 2001, 11:23 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

I think deceptive is the right word. Ive followed several Mk1 cars - and theres very little in it despite my lack of mods. All boils down to the driver at the end of the day.

If you really want driving thrills, scoobys arent that dramatic compared to say a caterham or sports bike. But you get to your destination quickly and not sweating buckets!!!

Jza