Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple answer to a simple question?

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2002, 09:45 AM
Barbara Hannah
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a simple question which I hope someone would be kind enough to answer in non technical/mechanical language please as I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand a lot of the terms used.

I'm thinking of buying a Subaru WRX STi and having spent the best part of the last 24 hours reading these forums I have a question about the 4000rpm thing. From various posts I read things like

"it has to be kept on the boil"

"you need to keep the revs up, which means extravagant use of the right-hand pedal"

"you have to rev it up higher"

What does this mean exactly? If I'm driving around town does it mean I have to keep pressing on the accelerator to keep the car going???

Or does it mean that I need to keep changing down to a lower gear so that the rpm goes higher - wouldn't that be a bad thing for the motor? Would I want to do that if I was going to overtake someone so that I could get the required 4000rpm or higher and then change gears? Why wouldn't I just accelerate as usual?

I guess I just don't quite understand how you can keep the motor running at high rpm if you are in a low gear.

Sorry if this sounds like a really stupid question but I'm confused!

And no this is not a joke.
Old 23 September 2002, 09:50 AM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Alright m8, peeps mean when pushing the car hard ie: backlanes, hi-speed motorway etc that the engine is at its best above 4000rpm, in town, cruising etc its a ***** cat it'll happily pull away as low as 1500, hope this helps

cheers
Old 23 September 2002, 09:53 AM
Scalidge
Scooby Regular

Barbara

All people are talking about is acceleration performance. For a more instant response, if you keep the revs high it means that ready power is more instantanious for a neck jerking experience.

The car will drive just like any other car on the road around town although economy should not be an issue with you and of course you will sacrifice a soft ride for superb cornering ability.

In short, around town, drive it like your previous car and it will behave like a normal car. (until you squeeze that right pedal then it will take off)

Pete
Old 23 September 2002, 11:20 AM
Barbara Hannah
Scooby Newbie

Thank you both very much for clearing that up for me - my mind is now at ease. Best regards, BH.
Old 23 September 2002, 11:28 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

If your still not happy with the way the power is delivered when you have a test drive, the PPP is virtually avialable which will bring the engine on boil lower down the range and give it a bit more umph in the midrange

Tony