Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Survey - MY01 WRX - seat preference - sports (side airbag) or buckets?

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2001, 12:24 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you'd think with all the anger jza exhibits in some of his posts he'd use up enough energy to slim down to a normal size

tiggs

Old 09 August 2001, 10:49 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Question

In correspondence with Subaru UK I mentioned that the sports ( side airbag) seats "are inferior to the bucket seats and do not hold you as well or as comfortably".

They disagree with me and say owners disagree also.

So, owner's poll - if you have a MY01, which of the two seat options do you have a preference for, and why?

(please only respond if you have experience of both seats).
Old 09 August 2001, 10:55 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I own a Dec '00 MY'01 (confusing init ) and mines has the Sports Seats with the air bags... although this are ok, they don't give you the side-ways support that the buckets do... I have driven the my'01 with buckets and prefer them, you can chuck it round corners at speed and still be held firmly in place...

I will be changing the seats when I decide which option to go for, ie. cobra, sti or original MY'01 buckets.. and of course depending on what I can actually source!

I'm a little hacked off that Subaru(IM) aren't being a little more helpful in sorting this out on all the cars that were registered before the buckets were available in the UK. They are currently refusing to change the seats point blank, whether money changes hands or not!

Alex
Old 09 August 2001, 11:17 AM
DT
Scooby Regular

Imported mine from Holland in Feb and it came with Buckets. I love em for looks & grip round corners. Find my back aches on long 2hr+ journeys though, perhaps due to the lack of support. Haven't tried the sports seats but wouldn't swap mine for them.

Old 09 August 2001, 11:26 AM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ordered my UK WRX in January 01 and had to wait untill end of May for my car beause i wanted the buckets NOT the sports seats, and am 100% happy that i made the right choice and that the wait was worth it.
From what various dealers told me at the time IM made a ****-up and ordered too many sports seats and wanted to shift them so would not allow buckets in saloons untill May.

simon.
Old 09 August 2001, 11:29 AM
Mike Burton
Scooby Regular

Buckets !!!!!

Tried the Sports, thought they were crap. I.E go around a corner and fall out. Had to wait until the end of May for my car with buckets, even though I could have had one with sports seats in February.

Its also about time that Subaru admitted to the ECU problem (crap/intermittant power delivery), I put a tank of SUL through yesterday for the drive back from London, and when I floored it last night, the power still fell off, ever so slightly mind, just before 6k on the rev counter. Its appears to be more apparant with normal UL. They are sure going out of their way to make sure I never buy another Subaru atm

(shame really, because I actually like the car now)

But take the bucket seats anyway. No doubt they are trying to shift a backlog of older WRX's with sports seats fitted, which they can't sell.

--
Mike
Old 09 August 2001, 11:33 AM
Silent Monkey
Scooby Regular

The MY01 I had for test drives had sports seats, at the time the dealer did not have a demonstrator with buckets but did have a car in the showroom with buckets. A couple of minutes sitting in that was enough to make me specify the buckets on my order.

After 5500 miles I am very glad I went for the buckets. There is no comparison in my opinion, the side grip is far superior and I find them comfortable even on long journeys.

Barry

Old 09 August 2001, 11:37 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Thanks for the replies so far, keep them coming.

I should mention for those that do not know that we already have two WRX's with sports seats. I just want to see if owners' preferences reflect what SUK say they think they want.

On the subject of the initial UK production being ALL sports seats, I quote the explanation I got from SUK:

"Our priority is that we should always seek to offer Subaru customers the choice of purchasing vehicles with the highest levels of active and passive safety, albeit also recognising that some of our owners are more preoccupied with performance. Accordingly, whilst announcing at the time of launch that bucket seats without side airbags would also become available, it was decided that initial production of WRX saloons for sale should be exclusively fitted with sports seats incorporating side airbags. Our expectation was that this derivative was likely to be in much greater demand."
Unquote

I mention the above just to clarify - please note this is NOT designed to be a bash Subaru UK thread and i'd prefer to keep it just to the seat preference question.
Old 09 August 2001, 11:42 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

dave,

my wagon has buckets and my mates salon has the sports seats.

mine are far better, when i get i the car the grip they give you makes you feel faster before you start the engine

whenever i'm in his i feel as supported as i do in my wifes fiesta. in fact the fiesta is better becasue you cant go fast enough to slide around

also don't worry about people saying they are tight, when i first got them they were very snug but with 6 weeks had moulded themselves to me (6ft 5, 18 stone)

tiggs
Old 09 August 2001, 11:47 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

I would rather have the buckets - but i dont fit in them at all - cant breath as they crush my ribs and shoulders. So i had to have the sports seats - which im happy with (now ive had them leather trimmed mind!!)

Jza
Old 09 August 2001, 11:47 AM
BobaFett
Scooby Regular

Mine are the Sports, and I think they are very comfortable, I suffer from lower back problems and i have never been so comfortable in a car as this.
Old 09 August 2001, 11:54 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Tiggs
You are one of the lucky beggars because the Wagon comes with buckets ONLY!

Ok, so far we have only two for sports seats - jza who can't physically get in them (blimey mate, tiggs is 6' 5" and 18 stone, how big are you??? ), and bob who has a bad back......

[This message has been edited by Dave T-S (edited 09 August 2001).]
Old 09 August 2001, 01:19 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

One word for the sports seats "gruesome". I agree with all those who waited for the buckets. I bet the only people more comfortable with the sports seats were the bean counters at IM
Old 09 August 2001, 01:25 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

I haven't sat in the sports seats, haven't even seen the buckets, but how much of the grip is due to shape and how much is due to the covering? My Terzo's Alcantara was great, but the stuff they've covered the new sports seats with just seems designed for minimum friction, no wonder people fall out. Can't they just give a different choice of trim, to reduce sliding but still give comfort on long journeys? (Yes I know there is the airbag problem for DIY recoverers...)

?

BJH
Old 09 August 2001, 01:39 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

On re-reading my last post I may have been a little harsh on the sports seats. No offence meant to owners who have them but I do prefer the buckets. Haven't tried Alcantara ones yet.

Old 09 August 2001, 01:59 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

wilf,

you're concerned over upsetting someone who may have the item/car/mod that you potentially slagged off?

are you on the right board

tiggs
Old 09 August 2001, 02:14 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Dave,

Since I went in your car and expressed my dismay with the seats ( ), I've been in Dave's 01 ( club Dave ) and the buckets are as I guessed they would be, <B><I>FAR</I></B> superior!!!!!

I suspect that IM are once again either highly mistaken or highly misinformed

Matt
Old 09 August 2001, 02:31 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Tiggs:
<B>you'd think with all the anger jza exhibits in some of his posts he'd use up enough energy to slim down to a normal size

tiggs

[/quote]

With un-called for comments like that why do you think i appear angry Ill get you back though Tiggs. Cant wait for your next thread - so i can make a nice snide remark!!!

I actually enjoy heated debates, whereas you clearly prefer debates for the masses (think about it)

Jza
Old 09 August 2001, 02:48 PM
blubell
Scooby Regular

Smile

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by PCB:
<B>Ordered my UK WRX in January 01 and had to wait untill end of May for my car beause i wanted the buckets NOT the sports seats, and am 100% happy that i made the right choice and that the wait was worth it.
From what various dealers told me at the time IM made a ****-up and ordered too many sports seats and wanted to shift them so would not allow buckets in saloons untill May.

simon.[/quote]

Ditto, well worth the wait, look good comfortable, work well. Also looked to me as if they may wear better?

Old 09 August 2001, 03:26 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

I have just changed from MY00 4 door to MY01 Wagon.

I don't think the buckets in the MY01 are as comfy as the MY00, but maybe they need breaking in! Car is a DEC 2000 registered.

The bucket seats were one of the reasons I got the wagon, and the price/style. I don't think it is as garish as the MY01 4dr.
Old 09 August 2001, 03:31 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Wink

The buckets in my MY01 wagon left bruises down the side of my back, they were that tight. After a couple of weeks they either loosened up quite nicely or squashed me thinner, they are now very comfortable.
Old 09 August 2001, 03:32 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Buckets.

This is back the 96 situation, great car, aweful seats.

The 01 seats are better than the 96, but not a patch on a decent set of buckets. It is a performance car, after all.
Old 09 August 2001, 03:47 PM
Orville
Scooby Regular

How did IM decide that most Wagon buyers would prefer buckets and saloon owners like sports when very few people ever complained about the pre MY01 bucket seats.

Must have been a mistake.

MY02 on order from Belgium with buckets .
Old 09 August 2001, 04:38 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm too skinny for the sport seats, I was sat all on one side during a test drive. Like the idea of side airbags though, I'm a hedge magnet.
Old 09 August 2001, 05:05 PM
Andy Hamilton
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with the comments about the ‘sports’ seats.

Having owned a 97MY and 99MY previously I am missing the extra support of the buckets. I got my WRX in March and rather than wait for a car with buckets I thought I would upgrade the ‘sports’ seats later when buckets became available. I can’t believe that Subaru UK/IM are not prepared to offer this upgrade to loyal Subaru customers.
I reckon that pretty much all ‘sports’ seats owners would jump at the chance of an upgrade.

I am hoping Subaru UK/IM will read this thread and take note, but frankly don’t hold out much hope. It looks like there will be a lot of owners heading down to Basildon for the new Scoobysport front seat/interior re-trim upgrade………………….

Andy
Old 09 August 2001, 07:23 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Getting mine with Buckets. Never driven a sports seted version but sat in one. The buckets hold you well and make the interior look like a sports car...which it is!

Steve
Old 09 August 2001, 07:55 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

steve,

good point about the looks, whenever someone gets in mine they comment on how sporty it looks- pedals, momo and buckets look good.

jza,

how did you manage a post without any little red faces

i,ve got a post about ppp that might make up for it though- watch this space!

tiggs
Old 09 August 2001, 08:31 PM
MarkWRX
Scooby Regular

Definately buckets, but I agree it may be down to the material the sports seats are covered with.
The uk300 buckets with alcantara seem different/more comfy than the std buckets as well.
Old 09 August 2001, 09:26 PM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

I test drove a my01 with sports seats, found them very soft and comfy, but not enough support on corners. Bought uk300, found seats fine on long journeys, no back problems, with the looks and body hugging features expected in a scooby.
Old 09 August 2001, 10:13 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hiya Dave,

For what it's worth, the beastie I saw at TSL had what looked like MY00 seats in it and compared to the standard tosh IMHO it sets the interior off a treat.

Looks purposeful if you know what i mean.

I test drove a MY01 with standard seats in and it's the first thing that ya body notices.....ya scoob don't "cuddle" ya. Know what i mean? Doesn't welcome you to a world ov fun. Get my gist?

If the seat people are reading this, stop trying to be Volvo and do what you're good at.....Making sports cars!!!!

Mikey

Quick Reply: Survey - MY01 WRX - seat preference - sports (side airbag) or buckets?