ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Speeding Countermeasures

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2001, 06:27 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

So we're getting 3 times as many speed camera's. Yippe Guess what they're going to be sited on roads where there's a history of speeding. That'll be motorways then

Post your countermeasures here

<B>O</B> Some sensible and not so sensible ones(no idea if they will work are here)
Old 13 August 2001, 06:42 PM
pumpers
Scooby Regular

Talking

Or
have a very dirty number plate!! ( worth £30 fixed penalty if stopped! )
or
have new no.plates made up with number/letter different then, if stopped feign innocence!! ( again £30 fixed penalty for no no. plate ! )
or
get two large wet leaves, stick them to no.plate so they obscure one no/letter front and back. ( probably get away with this one completely ) pumpers.
Old 13 August 2001, 06:49 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

imagine trying to explain to PC why theres a large doc leaf velcroed to your plate

tiggs
Old 13 August 2001, 09:41 PM
DMB
Scooby Regular

Talking

Bit drastic but amputation of the right foot is surely the only way forward if this keeps up

Tiggs - "thats not velcro ossifer thats just a large caterpillar......oh you want me to blow into that pipe now...."

Old 13 August 2001, 11:13 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Question

Neil,

Most debates say or have said detectors like snooper etc. are legal to use, is this correct??
Tony
Old 13 August 2001, 11:17 PM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

Become a bus driver?, and have unhindered access to the outside lane of the M4!!!
Old 13 August 2001, 11:28 PM
DT
Scooby Regular

How about a flip up no. plate. Connected to a similar mechanism as your filler cap release. Tug the lever and the spring loaded plate springs up to reveal a suitable friendly response

Haven't sussed how you get it down again without getting out of the car.
Old 13 August 2001, 11:39 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Wink

....or bollox to it all - drive like a tosser,lose ur license and get a french/german one??
Old 14 August 2001, 12:56 AM
ZAZ
Scooby Regular

Smile

I think this has probably been asked before but can the gatsos and truvellos and stuff read square plates with the two lines of letters and numbers?

If they can't I think I might change my plates for these. The plates must be legal as they have them on 4x4s, vans and bikes!
Old 14 August 2001, 04:51 AM
jnaylor
Scooby Regular

Question

ooh ooh ooh, I'm interested in these number plates... do you know anything more? Do they work for Subaru's?
Old 14 August 2001, 08:18 AM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

"Drive on non UK plates"

This has worked for me when I've come to England with a Jersey registered vehicle. Jersey plates are just J followed by a number. I got stopped once on my nitrous injected tuned 1000cc Yamaha and plod checked and told me accordinging to his records it should be it Ford Fiesta. Luckily I had the log book, insurance and all papers with me so he just told me to p*** off as it was too much paper work for him to follow it up. The Uk plod have to send the paperwork to Jersey plod who can't be bothered to do extra work when there's nothing it it for them.

I think as a "tourist" you are allowed up to six months in the UK before you have to re-register on to UK plates.

NB not suggesting that anyone does anything illegal of course!
Old 14 August 2001, 08:23 AM
markpatrick
Scooby Regular

Cool

What dya all say about setting up business producing such No. Plates, obviously a market "i'll purchase the first one" not that i need it of course "Honest !!!" just to set us off..........

Alternatively cover up the lens on the cameras with a post it note.....

How about putting a plastic bag over the camera head....

Could do the two together just to make sure.......

Old 14 August 2001, 09:17 AM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Surely somebody here must know how to jam a radar gatso. Its not rocket science is it ?

RAF use chaff or window
Old 14 August 2001, 09:31 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

methinks you would need a lot of chaff. you would need to fire a bale at every gatso. Not to worry though - The gatso's are going to be highly visible. No doubt all the laser traps will have a sign set up 2 miles in advance.

Two of my mates found a useful solution when the first gatso's where set up in ireland. One of them would stand in front of the camera with a piece of tinfoil or metal. The other one would ride past on his bicycle. When the bike was in piccy zone, the first one would put the tinfoil in front of the radar lens and then pull it away in the direction of travel as quickly as possible. Two flashes later the police have a piccy of a bicycle speeding past at 2-3 times the speed limit. I didn't believe it worked until they got caught and fined 800 quid each and ordered to pay 1200 quid for a replacemnt film. The pictures of the speeding bicycles where used in court. Even the RM couldn't suppress a smile.

Other viable alternatives would be to fix a picture of your grumpy neighbours car in front of the camera.

Flip up number plates sounds promising.

Has anyone considered not speeding?
Old 14 August 2001, 11:08 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

new guy in the office here says a mate has a device from sweden which drops a black plastic cover over the numberplate at a flick of a switch, this sounds nice.

Now here's the masterplan, get a radar dector/difusser and Geodesy, and one of these shutter type things. Wire the lot up so that when the dectection devices pick something up the shutter comes down automatically. nice fully auto system. Would also need override button to pop the thing back/down when you want.

bit 'pie in the sky'

Oh and one other thing, can the 'normal' GATSO's ie, get the rear of your car, still get you when you're coming towards them? I know they flash, but I've always assumed that by the time the second picture would be taken the front of the car would be out of the picture. Can someone confirm this?
Old 14 August 2001, 11:57 AM
Jer
Scooby Regular

They used to advertise flip up number plates in a bike mag called Streetfighter, behind the number plate was a sticker of choice such as F**k of plod. Would it be so hard to adapt one???.

Cheers

Jer
Old 14 August 2001, 12:36 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
errrm

i know a certain chappy who manufactures flip up number plates that are electrically controled.

*cough*
Old 14 August 2001, 01:12 PM
Bobfrog
Scooby Regular

There is an old myth about spraying your numberplate with a hair-spray concoction to difuse the flash, I'm unsure if this works but sandwiching a layer of such DIY diffusing material between the plate and the transparent cover will stop the spray being wiped off and the plod won't find anything on the plate, its worth a try!!