Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Scoobynet FAQ - what about this idea (slightly long post!)...

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2001, 07:27 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the search being a little slow and limited to one forum at a time, I have this idea (which I'm sure is not new) that may be useful for the bbs +/or the upcoming CD:

A FAQ which is made up of classic/useful/informative Scoobynet links from the past with a heading and one sentence description of the contents therein. Would be an interesting list to browse for newbies and oldies, and save a lot of repeated questions which could then be focussed on new issues - of course not to stop these, but could be a handy resource for all (me included). This would not replace the sidc faq which is completely different in content and style - plus not recently updated. The FAQ could be by forum, or I think better all in one - just an alphabetical list by heading. This page of course could be searched very easily using IE or similar Edit..Find (on this page).

Now potential issues with this (and I'm sure there are lots I haven't thought of - just thought I'd share the idea) -

who would administer it/construct it?

or to put it another way could the whole community construct it by means of a dedicated thread in which they put a proposed entry to the FAQ in a standard format - or how easy would it to create a form which is like posting a message but which automatically updates a FAQ page dynamically -

e.g. name of faq, link, submitted by on date, category

how easy would it be to be able to resort the list by category or name of faq within the browser?

A lot of questions there. From being in the ICE forum there is an excellent FAQ being created by Chiark, but a FAQ constructed of Scoobynet postings could be useful - an ICE collection could include:

What size speakers for the doors
Recommendations for door speakers
How to soundproof your car
How to foam your doors
How to install a headunit
How to install an amp

Drivetrain could include

Link - general details
Unichip - general details
PPP - general details
Decat exhausts - general details

Wheels/Tyres/Brakes could include

What size wheels/tyres can I fit to my car?

Using a form for Scoobynetters to submit a FAQ link would require little work in maintenance/updating etc.

Presumably a moderator would be required to merely check nothing dodgy was put on the page - unlikely I would have thought, so I am sure it would be an easy job - I or am sure many others would happily oblige.

I don't understand all the IT intricacies of this idea, or whether it would work, but I thought no harm in asking.

So is it workable or desirable or not?
Old 12 August 2001, 07:40 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post