Anyone with experience of Coventry Magistrates? [speeding]

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2001, 07:24 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi,

Not sure if anyone remembers but I was caught speeding back in March and have just had a summons through for an appearance in Coventry Magistrates Court.

My original thread is here :
Old 11 August 2001, 07:55 PM
lcha
Scooby Regular

Hi

It might be worth trying to get hold of a copy of the drivers survival handbook. It is not a be all and end all but has some interesting tips on these sorts of things.

01709 361819

Good Luck

Lee
Old 11 August 2001, 07:56 PM
lcha
Scooby Regular

Hi

It might be worth trying to get hold of a copy of the drivers survival handbook. It is not a be all and end all but has some interesting tips on these sorts of things.

01709 361819

Good Luck

Lee
Old 12 August 2001, 02:29 AM
Toonman
Scooby Regular

Matt

Was the dual carriageway restricted to 60mph, as the speed on normal de restricted DC is 70? If it's only 25mph over the limit, you should be okay with just points and a fine. 30 over the limit seems to be the magic number.

I was done in 1987 for doing 122mph on the A1M near Durham. What would've been a sure fire ban, became points and a fine. I pleaded all kinds of problems if I couldn't drive - financial, job and family related (all true). Somehow I got away with it, although the Officers that stopped me were actually quite supportive, by saying traffic was light, visibility was good, road conditions great, and apart from the speed factor, I drove very well. They admitted to me later it was all a bit of a game and they'd rather be catching criminals etc. They seemed regular guys, not g!ts.

If yours does go to court, tell them all the very real problems losing your licence will cause, and labour the point. I'm told now you should not attend, as they can ban you only if you do. If you're not there, they will ask for your presence at another hearing - buys you some time. I'm not sure how true that is though.

Try the following:
Old 12 August 2001, 10:19 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Matt,

i am sure that your solicitor will already know this, but surely the Police will not look very good if they stated the wrong speed limit for the road that you were on. Coupled with the fact that there appears to be no actual proof of your speed (e.g. vascar) which will further weaken their evidence.

I am not saying that you will get away with it, but to try to ban you on such flimsy (indeed incorrect) evidence would be unfair.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

mb
Old 12 August 2001, 10:31 AM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments guys, I think I am going to attend, showing I take it seriously and all. I am also going to get character references and that magic bit of paper from the highways agency, not sure how much weight it will pull though.

will let you know how it goes.

ta,
Matt
Old 12 August 2001, 04:21 PM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

Matt, contrary to popular belief, one Police Officer is all that is required in this country. You may have got confused with Scottish law which is slightly different and requires two officers present (one to corroborate the others evidence). As far as the distance goes I believe two tenths of a mile is the minimum for an accurate reading. Any decent solicitor will throw doubt into this case but in the current climate of "Speed Kills" blah blah I wouldn't expect any favors from the Magistrates. The best you could hope for would be 3 points and a large fine. Mal