Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police IQs dropping faster than the stock market?

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2001, 12:40 AM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why exactly are the Police at fault on both these incidents mentioned? The Highway Code will back up what Pete has already said.
Old 10 August 2001, 12:48 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Mal K,

If everyone drove according to the highway code there would be no accidents. However, as human beings, it is natural to make mistakes or exercise poor judgement. I was not saying that the Police were necessarily at fault in my scenario but, the Police of all people, should be aware that despite the highway code, people will drive such that they cannot stop in the distance they can see to be clear. Would you park your car in a country lane just round a corner? I suspect not because the chances of someone crashing into it are high. Why do they recommend using warning triangles in the way they do (place it way before the broken down car for instance) if everyone drove perfectly? Sorry, reality has to take priority over theory when it comes to safety.
Old 10 August 2001, 08:36 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Angry

Very annoyed!

Exited a roundabout (obscured view) yesterday in the pouring rain to be confronted by that "secured area" tape, and a police road closed sign. There was no indication of this before the roundabout, and it really is a blind(ish) exit. Luckily there was no one about, so a bit of extreme avoidance and braking meant I managed to avoid the sign, and the keep left sign.

What the **** happened to warning you before something like this!? or if youve got to do this, then use something a bit higher than the crash barriers that surround the corner!!!!!!!!!

And why was it there? there was no obvious reson until about 2 hours later yesterday when I approached from the other direction.
The road was flooded, well away from the roundabout. Get this, no warning signs from the other direction, and the would have been room for 50 cars approaching from the roundabout to have stopped and turned round.

Id stake my mortgage on the fact that someone without ABS and fast reactions would have stacked straight into that sign.

Muppets

robski
Old 10 August 2001, 09:27 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Where the police are involvrd robski just epxect anything! and they dont have to expain either! ARRRRRRGH!
Old 10 August 2001, 09:36 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Robski

It does sound like a **** up, but they would be right to remind you that you must always be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear.

If the obstruction had been 100 breeze blocks lying across the road...

It always amazes me when I read of people that went off into fields/hedges etc and they say it wasn't their fault.

Further, being school holiday time, have you noticed the massive increase in caravans and in cars being driven by people who surely only drive for 1 week of the year?
Old 10 August 2001, 09:47 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Angry

Years ago I stopped to help a guy who spun (on a straight road!) and stacked his car into a tree. Although he wasn't injured he was stuck in the car. The Police arrived and they parked their car just the other side of the brow of a hill (60mph limit). I suggested that he park his car *on* the brow so as to warn people coming down the road in advance. As I was only 18 I was told quite bluntly to mind my own business. Me and my brother stood at the brow waving our arms at oncoming vehicles to slow down. Some did, some didn't. All the ones that didn't locked up when ariving at the brow at 60-80mph to find a Police car in the road 50ft in front of them. Eventually the smell of burning rubber got too much, and the copper reversed his car to the brow. At least half a dozen cars had nearly crashed into the panda car before he reluctantly moved it. I assume common sense is not something they test for when processing an applicant to the Police.
Old 10 August 2001, 01:02 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jerome:
<B>as human beings, it is natural to make mistakes or exercise poor judgement[/quote]

This may comes as a shock, but officers of the law are human too.

They can suffer brain fade like the rest of us. They can have good and bad days. In the main have to deal with ******* whose behaviour defies logic - So you don't have to.

My old man has been stabbed three times in five years, and had fingers broken several times in the course of his duty...

He's also tried to resuscitate 3 children who were gassed by their father in a car. 1/2 hour on his own in the dark with four dead people trying to save lives because "They were still warm"...

"What would you do?"

Maybe the officers who taped up the road, were a little more pre-occupied elsewhere...
Old 10 August 2001, 01:09 PM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

Jerome, I did believe the subject of this thread was along the lines of dropping IQ's and whilst I totally agree with your comments of "driving in the real world". There is more than one agency involved in closing roads. I'm sure not every Police vehicle will carry the necessary signs/equipment,it may well have been a panda car and barrier tape was the best they could do.Do the local water board/council not take some responsibility in these incidents?
Old 10 August 2001, 01:25 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Squizz,

Agreed, the Police are human and also make mistakes. I also have great respect for the Police and the job they do, and I would not like to put up with the crap that they do as part of their everyday job. But, just because I was 18 didn't mean I didn't deserve to be listened to - it was me who reported the accident to the Police in the first place. At least the copper did eventually remove his car though.

Mal K,

Agreed. I once reported to the Police some road works that were causing drivers to drive along the narrow pavement. When I eventually found the correct station and got put through to Traffic, they sent a car straight away and closed the road. I does seem that more thought should have been put into the situation detailed in Robski's post though.
Old 10 August 2001, 01:32 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Pete,

thanks for reminding me of that

I actually try to exercise this in most conditions now, something I dont believe 99% of the road going public do!

On this occasion I was lax, and I agree it would have been my fault, but the placement was absurd, as I said, there was no need for it to be where it was, especially as its a poor visibility roundabout (with at least 95% of traffic going straight on).

robski
Old 10 August 2001, 01:56 PM
mark.coleman
Scooby Regular

I'm sure if it had been the other way around the police would have said something.!!
Old 10 August 2001, 02:01 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

True, the Highway Code does mean that people should have been able to brake without drama in both incidents. However, a policeman with common sense, or a bit of understanding that people won't drive as the HC dictates, should realise what may happen and move the sign/car accordingly.
He may well be able to stand there and say "well, if he had been driving so as to be able to stop within his range of vision, he wouldn't have killed himself and totalled my patrol car" but surely it's better to be a little more realistic?
He may be theoretically in the right, but making a little extra effort could be a lot safer.
Old 10 August 2001, 03:42 PM
ChrisB

On a tour of a police station one time, I remember listening to a traffic PC.

He was saying the first thing they do when arriving at an accident is to make sure they don't become part of the accident themselves ie park car in a good place, flashing lights, cones, signs etc. Then they go and help out.

ChrisB.
Old 10 August 2001, 03:54 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

Thanks Squizz, good to be reminded that there's heroes out there as well as plonkers.
Old 10 August 2001, 05:35 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

My apologies to everyone if it was a melodramatic way of making a point...

They're only human.

Next time you get stopped for doing 31.5mph in a 30mph zone, don't argue. You were speeding, and the responsibility is yours, not of the other four cars you were following in traffic that they didn't stop.

Plod may be a ******* today, but he may just be the one who helps save your life tomorrow.

And they can be car enthusiasts, and get drunk, and have fights, and affairs, an'...STUFF!

make a good TV show - DOH!

PS - I was going to join at one point, but I could not cope with the gore my dad puts up with on a daily basis.

Train suicides, eh?
Old 10 August 2001, 06:01 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Red face

Just makes me wonder on this bbs how everyone never seem to speed always indicates at roundabouts, reads the highway code religously and before i get flamed i have seen bad accidents, i do 25000 to 30000 miles a year so i see quite abit, but i cant believe everyone is perfect, we all must drive a little bit naughty now and again? surely all the scoob drivers must exceed the speed limit now and again? and maybe get a little lax. police are paid to close roaads safely, think where to park the car at a accident, thats there job and they choose to do it. anyway ive said enough. Lee
Old 11 August 2001, 10:48 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

Lee, I don't.

That's the good thing about this BBS, while you are seeing your ****, it's great to have people give you the other point of view.

That doesn't mean they don't like you or think you are a ****.

I agree with all the above.

I also agree with you.
Old 11 August 2001, 06:15 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hiya mate, i wasnt really seeing my **** and its not the first time been called a ****, i suppose im not the most politically correct driver, not a boy racer, just like to use my car, but somtimes its like listening to your dad if you know what i mean. preparing for another ear bashing. just not keen on god like coppers. Cheers Lee