Sponsored by:

Anybody driven the new X type 3.0L Jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2001, 07:51 PM
JR
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

A friend is considering buying an X type 3 litre sports Jaguar.

Anybody here had a go?

Comments?

JR
Old 08 August 2001, 08:59 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

hi jr

i posted the same question a couple weeks back and got no reply !!

i visited my local dealer about 2 weeks ago and took out a basic 2.5.

its a v nice car imo, well put together and i like the looks. only had a quick drive but i liked it.

however it did have a fair amount of body roll, and after a scooby it aint quick - its not slow so the 3.0 should be better but i've got used the kick of the turbo.

guess i'd ask wots your friend drive now ? if not scoob then has he considered one ? i whats he looking for in the X-Type ? guess he not test driven one yet ?

dealer trying to source a 3 ltr sport manual,as he says so far the 3 ltr is being sold / ordered more in automatic guise.

for me i am far from convinced - my other main choice of car to change from the scoob to is an Evo. i dont think i'm ready to drive a car like an x-type quite yet, although i wanted to give it a try.

from comments from colleagues etc jag have a severe image problem to overcome - everyone says i need to be way past 40 or move to drive/buy a jag !

also by the time you buy a sport and look at a very large list of options its not a cheap car...starting price of 22k is good but 3ltr sport is £25,500 and metallic paint £500 ! i dont like some of the options not being standard on this sort of car.

cheers

steve
Old 09 August 2001, 09:00 AM
Arron
Scooby Regular

Yep ,I was privy to a Jag test day @ Rowhill Grange, the launch of the x type, give us a call and I'll try to help!

01322-286117

Arron.
Old 09 August 2001, 09:55 AM
Marc W
Scooby Regular

I test drove a 3 litre Sport X-type automatic two weeks ago. Also test drove a BMW 330ci the same day.

Jag is a nice car. Felt more driveable than the BMW which surprised me massively. The BMW was very, very impressive and very solid but just a bit too smooth for me - I'd get bored of it too easily. The Jag felt a bit more alive and I would certainly prefer the Jag instead of the BMW. (This is just my opinion - no need to flame me BMW owners....)

As my MY98 is going back in Jan and I've recently bought a Caterham for messing about in, I thought getting something more relaxed and comfortable would be a good idea. However, having driven both I think I might still hanker after a Scoob if I went for a X type or 3 series.

Marc